Possibly URI in panther, need help

vahegan

Hi friends! I need help with my chameleon health and unfortunately there is no rep vet in my city.

I have a male panther chameleon, cb, he is about 5-6 months old, I have him since he was about 2mo. He is now about 6 inches from snout to the base of tail.

I mainly feed him with domestic crickets which I breed myself. I feed the crickets with DIY food which is 2 parts: dry powder (a mix of ground chicken food and rabbit food, to which I add ground barley, kelp, spirulina powder, bee pollen) and gel food which is also their only source of hydration (I mix in a blender oranges, carrots, apples, kale, dissolve some gelatin in water, add to the mix, let it set, then cut into daily dose cubes and freeze). Beside crickets he also eats the males of Turkestan roaches (he absolutely ignores the females) which are also fed the same diet as crickets. When the chameleon was well he used to eat some 6-8 adult crickets each day. I always dust the insects with either Repashy calcium with D3 or MinerAll (alternating).

He lives in a DIY cage made of glass and screen, 14x14x24”. The rear wall is heated to about 92F. The UVB is a 10% Zilla bulb (20W) on the top, SolarMeter 6.5 reading is about 20-22 units at the screen. On the bottom of the cage there is a plastic container with water and a small fountain pump, for drinking, and a few live plants (ivy and potho) for humidity. I mist the cage about twice each day. I rarely ever see my chameleon drinking.

Feces were abundant when he was eating well. Brown color, prolonged, with white matter at one end. Sometimes they were completely dry, sometimes soft and smelly.

Since about last Saturday my chameleon started to eat much less. Maybe 1-2 crickets a day. But he was still active and attempts to climb on my hand each time I open his cage door for maintenance. It seems to me that he is somewhat thinner after this week. The feces are much fewer, accordingly to the amount of food eaten, and they are all dry, unless he poops in water.

Yesterday evening I have noticed that his behavior was somewhat strange. He was opening his mouth and there was yellowish foam in it. He was also moving his tongue in the throat – it looked like he was trying to lick his lips, or that was uncomfortable about something in his mouth. I tried to give him some water from a syringe when he opened his mouth, thinking that the foam and saliva may be a result of dehydration.

This morning he is perching near the basking spot and his mouth is mostly open. He is not active as he used to be.

There are no herp vets in my city and I have to deal with this solely on my own. I talked to an overseas friend last night. He is an old school cham expert. He suggested that most probably I am facing URI and my cham needs antibiotics. He suggested Sub-Q shot of amikacin or baytril, telling that amikacin was better as it needs to be administered once in 3 days while baytril needs a shot every day and is more traumatic to the chameleon.

I can get amikacin, but I am a bit worried about the dose. My friend suggested 0.02cc but added that I need to eyeball it, to give more or less. I have absolutely no experience in dosing medication for chameleons and eyeballing is difficult for me. Can anyone please give me advise on how to determine the dose, or what else can I do for my chameleon? I would be very thankful for any advise.

I found this very useful article on doses. For amikacin it recommends 5mg/kg and then half that dose after 72 hours. Providing the chameleon is probably about 100g, and the active agent is 100mg per 2cc, then I need to administer about 0.5mg, which is 0.01ml.
I bought a vial of amikacin, however, my chameleon seems better today. Haven't seen any more foaming, sometimes he sits with his mouth open but not for long. I am not sure whether to administer the antibiotic, or to wait a little more - maybe he will heal on its own.

How's your chameleon doing? Did the issue clear up or did you have to start dosing?

We are dealing with a sick cham that needs to be force fed meds and liquid food at the moment. She inevitably gets a bit of liquid near her windpipe opening every dosing due to her small size and salivates (or mucus) and breaths hard for a bit. I spend some time with her after dosings to clean up excess liquid in an attempt to reduce breathing troubles (paper towel under the lips and if it pools a decent amount I wait for her to open her mouth and I place the paper towel in and let her bite down to soak up the majority). We also bring her in and out from in front of our warm humidifier. The warm mist seems to clear out guk pretty well from what I have seen advised by others. Just make sure your cham doesn't overheat! This can be done over the stove with a pot if you don't have a warm humidifier, but be especially careful then. Consider trying to chase the humidity away from the stove top instead of putting your cham near such harsh conditions. A hotel pan with a lid over the back half and one burner on (in the back also) may be good to get that steam without putting your cham over full temp steam and an open flame. Still, holding over hot water and pans... use caution if you go this route!

Hoping for good news!

Thanks for your response and advise, Bokaru!

The issue seems to have cleared away. I got the antibiotic and watched a few videos on making injections on lizards. I was planning to give him a shot in the weekend morning, so that I will be able to closely watch him afterwards. However I noticed in the morning that there was no foaming anymore and he was gaping less, so I decided to wait more - I don;t think that administering an antibiotic without a good reason is not a very good idea. I have set up a warmer than usual basking point for him, by replacing on of the LED bulbs with a halogen bulb, which he seemed to enjoy. I also put him into another terrarium where I have a DIY ultrasonic humidifier with heater, and he also seemed to enjoy - I have not seen any gaping at all while he was in the terrarium with steam. Fortunately, it cleared up within a few days and his appetite is back to normal now. I didn't know anything about URI before, now I am more knowledgeable and have the medicine. I still hope I will not have another chance to use it.

I hope your sick cham is doing well and is also on her way to recovery!

That's wonderful news! Good to hear. Keep a close eye on him for a few days, but it sounds like you've passed the worst of it.

Back
Top Bottom