Possibly sick Cham, advice needed

JamesB88

Established Member
So I live in Michigan and it's starting to warm up a little finally but still somewhat cold so I'm trying to avoid taking my Cham in the cold for a vet visit unless absolutely needed or we have a warm enough day to where I can take him.NOTE- the closest exotic vet is about 30 mins from me...The issue is my male veiled approx 6 months old has been only eating about 5-6 Dubias a day when regularly he'll eat close to 12-15. This was my first sign he was a little off possibly Sick. He's also been gaping a bit which is odd since his basking reaches a max of 92F and it's a gradient branch so 92F is the hottest point. I've also noticed his color has been very dark lately and he has been hiding more than usual. His poops look decent whitish yellow urate so he's not completely dehydrated but he's not completely hydrated either. Hes usually active during the first half of the day and then hides for a few hrs before lights out, I am only able to monitor how he acts on the weekend due to work. My guess is parasites or the temp is to hot in his enclosure hence gaping. I've spent countless hrs on his new enclosure to make sure his husbandry was perfect before I put him in it so I'm puzzled guys. Any advice would be appreciated

Just a side note: he had just started acting different about a week ago! Other than that he's been living the life so anyone that can shed some light...please do

Pics of him and his enclosure? Could he be hitting puberty :D maybe he is feeling like a moody teenager? To do a fecal, you just need the poop... he doesn't need to go

Pics of him and his enclosure? Could he be hitting puberty :D maybe he is feeling like a moody teenager? To do a fecal, you just need the poop... he doesn't need to go
yeah I planned on doin a fecal sample but I also want to get him checked out as well, he's never been to the vet yet!

Attachments

• IMG_2399.JPG
    IMG_2399.JPG
    192.5 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_2395.PNG
    IMG_2395.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 113
@opheliaeatsbugs, I bought him from a local breeder in October, breeder said he was 5 weeks old at the time so since it was getting cold here I just haven't had a chance to get him looked at due to the garbage weather here in Michigan! Hopefully your right and he's just being a moody teenager!

As long as you have the husbandry down (you've read the care sheets and following them 100%), supplements, misting, Temps, feeders, etc. then think about any new disruptions? New cat, new roommate? (Ophelia hates when I wear red... or joke. I have a pet sitter that would come from her lifeguard job and would have to wear a robe over her red clothing to take care of her o_O:p she's weird haha).

Maybe he needs more coverage? I know the weather is bad but maybe if you have sun, he might like a quick trip out? (I cant even image what ur talking about... i live in sunny SoCal and i forget that its not 75 degrees for everyone :LOL::LOL:) Do you free range him at all? Different feeders? Just some thoughts...

That's funny u say red upsets your Cham, mine is the same and of course I'm a red wings fan so:cool:. But yeah I always have about 3 feeders on deck dubias being staple...I don't think he needs more cover only due to the fact that he's not shy unless someone new is around and he's in a secluded room so he usually only sees me, plus his pothos is growing wild right now so cover is on the way! I was thinking of just putting a plant in my fam room next to my window for him to chill on for a few and bask. And yeah must be nice to live in Cali my friend lives there...pretty jealous:cautious:, if I didn't have the job I do I'd be outta here trust lol! Thanks for the input tho!!!

Back
Top Bottom