Possibly ate bark?

lainezor

I heard a crack sound as if you hear when two rocks bang together and look down to see my 6 month old male panther chameleon moving his mouth. I didn't see anything in his mouth and it didn't make any crunching noises as he moved his mouth but I am paranoid about my little baby. I have large beach stones covering up the reptibark that is in my hibiscus. I highly doubt he ate a piece because I didnt see him with anything in his mouth and I would assume he would be making loud noises chewing on it. There was also fresh chameleon poop in the spot he was, I almost think he tried to eat that? If he did eat a piece of bark it would have been tiny (not much bigger than 1cm long). I am a freaked out by everyone saying it could kill him. What should I watch for/do?

I would first remove the bark. The stones should be enough to cover the dirt. Basically just watch for your chameleon not being able to poop or any other obvious signs of being sick like closing his eyes or lethargy.. Hopefully if he ate some, he will pass it.

The rocks are covering it. I am just being really paranoid. I will keep an eye on him. The more I think about it, the more I think he didn't eat it but I just want to be safe.

Why do you have the bark in there? Sometimes they will move the rocks to get at the dirt for whatever reason, so he might end up eating the bark after all.

Why do you have the bark in there? Sometimes they will move the rocks to get at the dirt for whatever reason, so he might end up eating the bark after all.

Generally a lot of organic soils have coconut fiber and bark in the mixture.

I have covered my plants as well(large smooth river rocks), but every now and again my panther will move those rocks around an snag a piece of bark. I would be more worried about the coconut fiber than the bark, as it can cause serious intestinal blockage. They eat dirt/bark in the wild so a little every now and again, SHOULDN'T be something to fret over. Just try and keep it covered best you can. If your cham wants it he will find a way to it.....

Back
Top Bottom