Possible Upper respiratory infection

Cody5590

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Ambanja panther chameleon, male, one year old. Been in my care for 10 months
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Once a week at most
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? 10 crickets every other day, hornworms on occasion
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Repashy calcium plus lightly dusted every feeding
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Monsoon mister. 15 seconds every 2 hours. With daily manual listing from pump mister. I’ve noticed him going to the water I spray as of lately, which he hasn’t done in the past.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Stool was solid, irate was slightly off white with light orange tint. Tested for parasites when around 6 months old
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. We brought him to the vet about two months ago because we thought he had an eye infection, due to minor swelling along the bottom of both eyes. The vet did not think they were infected and the eyes haven’t gotten any better or worse.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Converted hutch with a completely screen front and back. Drainage pan on bottom that drains underneath. Sides are made with expanding foam and coconut husk
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? Zilla 75 watt heat bulb. Reprising t8. What is your daily lighting schedule? 12 hours a day.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Ambient temps are 75-80, bottom to top. Basking spot around 85-88. Digital temp gun and dialog temp gauges for ambient
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? 40-60. Measures with humidity gauge, both analog and digital
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Yes. Five pothos and a cane plant
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Living room area. There is a ceiling fan on the room but it several feet away. The top of the cage sits approximately 7 feet off the floor
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? New Orleans, Louisiana
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
We have notified viserion sitting with his head up on a few occasions in the past couple weeks. We have also noticed him either sneezing or coughing. He does not have any discharge and his appetite and activity are the same. Concerned he may have a respiratory infection. I have attached a link to the YouTube video of him coughing.

Link:
963F9912-079C-4A65-94C3-245835601511.jpeg
CADEC323-554C-4A3D-9B64-060E71C58069.jpeg

How are you creating this humidity? Meaning are you using a fogger, humidifier, or just misting with your live plants? What are your humidity levels during the day? What are your humidity levels during the night? What are your night ambient temps as well? I'm going to tag some really knowledgeable Panther chameleon guys in for you as well.
@Brodybreaux25 @Matt Vanilla Gorilla @jamest0o0 @alphakenc

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Ambanja panther chameleon, male, one year old. Been in my care for 10 months
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Once a week at most
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? 10 crickets every other day, hornworms on occasion
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Repashy calcium plus lightly dusted every feeding
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Monsoon mister. 15 seconds every 2 hours. With daily manual listing from pump mister. I’ve noticed him going to the water I spray as of lately, which he hasn’t done in the past.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Stool was solid, irate was slightly off white with light orange tint. Tested for parasites when around 6 months old
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. We brought him to the vet about two months ago because we thought he had an eye infection, due to minor swelling along the bottom of both eyes. The vet did not think they were infected and the eyes haven’t gotten any better or worse.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Converted hutch with a completely screen front and back. Drainage pan on bottom that drains underneath. Sides are made with expanding foam and coconut husk
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? Zilla 75 watt heat bulb. Reprising t8. What is your daily lighting schedule? 12 hours a day.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Ambient temps are 75-80, bottom to top. Basking spot around 85-88. Digital temp gun and dialog temp gauges for ambient
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? 40-60. Measures with humidity gauge, both analog and digital
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Yes. Five pothos and a cane plant
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Living room area. There is a ceiling fan on the room but it several feet away. The top of the cage sits approximately 7 feet off the floor
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? New Orleans, Louisiana
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
We have notified viserion sitting with his head up on a few occasions in the past couple weeks. We have also noticed him either sneezing or coughing. He does not have any discharge and his appetite and activity are the same. Concerned he may have a respiratory infection. I have attached a link to the YouTube video of him coughing.

Link:
View attachment 230739View attachment 230738

Finally, someone near me! I’m in St. Charles Parish!

Yes, that was a cough and you should see a vet soon. I think you caught it in the early stages so take advantage of that. Do you have a vet?

I’m concerned that his temp/humidity aren’t what you think they are. Temp guns only measure surface temps, this is something many keepers don’t take into consideration so they tend to misinterpret the guns readings.

Exactly what brand and models of temp/humidity gauges are you using? The low end ones marketed specifically to reptile enclosures are notorious for being totally inaccurate. And good job on have two meters for each, do the readings match?

What are you gutloading with?

How are you creating this humidity? Meaning are you using a fogger, humidifier, or just misting with your live plants? What are your humidity levels during the day? What are your humidity levels during the night? What are your night ambient temps as well? I'm going to tag some really knowledgeable Panther chameleon guys in for you as well.
@Brodybreaux25 @Matt Vanilla Gorilla @jamest0o0 @alphakenc
Humidity is created with the automated mister, and the occasional hand misting. The hand misting is usually done once or twice a day. I’m going to have to recheck ambient temperatures. Thank you

Finally, someone near me! I’m in St. Charles Parish!

Yes, that was a cough and you should see a vet soon. I think you caught it in the early stages so take advantage of that. Do you have a vet?

I’m concerned that his temp/humidity aren’t what you think they are. Temp guns only measure surface temps, this is something many keepers don’t take into consideration so they tend to misinterpret the guns readings.

Exactly what brand and models of temp/humidity gauges are you using? The low end ones marketed specifically to reptile enclosures are notorious for being totally inaccurate. And good job on have two meters for each, do the readings match?

What are you gutloading with?
We use Dr. Rich at avian and exotic animal hospital. The earliest appointment he had was the 16th of May. But I’m going to bring him in this afternoon for an emergency visit and see the lady doctor, as Dr. Rich is out of town until the 6th.

I’m not sure of the brands of the gauges, but I can check when I get home.

I gutload crickets with sweet potatoes and bee pollen. Occasionally fruit like apples if I have some going bad.

We use Dr. Rich at avian and exotic animal hospital. The earliest appointment he had was the 16th of May. But I’m going to bring him in this afternoon for an emergency visit and see the lady doctor, as Dr. Rich is out of town until the 6th.

I’m not sure of the brands of the gauges, but I can check when I get home.

I gutload crickets with sweet potatoes and bee pollen. Occasionally fruit like apples if I have some going bad.
Him being out of town may be a blessing in disguise, if you have the option see Dr. Pence.

You really need a quality gutload. Make your own or order any one of these:
CA62769B-678E-4B84-B27B-0AE949F890EC.png
F73F2581-BDAA-4A57-A04B-371147F434FB.jpeg
96F9AD80-2720-4C39-9998-8AD4066824B5.png

Viserion went to the vet yesterday. The doctor believed he had the beginning stages of an upper respiratory infection, but believed we caught it early. Bloodwork showed the white blood cell count was slightly elevated. He received cipro antibiotics for 10 days, to be given every other day.

Another question, which I will probably call the vet with this morning, this morning Viserion hacked up a clear substance. It looked and felt like a combination of mucus and water. Is this normal during an upper respiratory infection?

Another question, which I will probably call the vet with this morning, this morning Viserion hacked up a clear substance. It looked and felt like a combination of mucus and water. Is this normal during an upper respiratory infection?

Sounds like phlegm to me, but you can call your vet to confirm. (y)

Back
Top Bottom