Possible RI?

Jax1124

Yesterday I saw my girl with her head pointed up in the air she hasn’t been gaping or anything but she either coughed or moved quick and had me freaking out I read that they don’t really cough but it looks like they do when they wheeze. Not sure how correct that info is. Well anyways I lowered my humidity and her temp still remains around 85 on top 70 at bottom I haven’t seen her so it since and she is acting normal. Just wondering what other signs to look for? Her little face doesn’t look swollen at all there is no mucous or air bubbles I’m just so nervous. Obviously if I see her do it again or anything else that worries me I’ll take her to the vet. Just wanted some suggestions. Thank you so much

When she breathes normally, do you hear any clicking or popping?

What do you normally keep the humidity at? Do you allow dry periods in between misting?

If I was in your position, I'd be making a vet appointment with an experienced exotic vet just to be safe since chams go downhill fast.

Yesterday I saw my girl with her head pointed up in the air she hasn’t been gaping or anything but she either coughed or moved quick and had me freaking out I read that they don’t really cough but it looks like they do when they wheeze. Not sure how correct that info is. Well anyways I lowered my humidity and her temp still remains around 85 on top 70 at bottom I haven’t seen her so it since and she is acting normal. Just wondering what other signs to look for? Her little face doesn’t look swollen at all there is no mucous or air bubbles I’m just so nervous. Obviously if I see her do it again or anything else that worries me I’ll take her to the vet. Just wanted some suggestions. Thank you so much

Hey Jax... this is a female Veiled right? And your in AZ if I remember correctly? So they can do little sneeze like things. Clearing the nasal passages. Head pointed up can also mean she is just stretching into the heat... What are your daytime and night time humidity levels? Temperature is fine. Just not hotter then 85. You are using a cold mist humidifier correct?

So with an RI typical symptoms are gapping when it actually is not hot because they are having issues breathing. Wheezing sounds, strange sounds when they are breathing, bubbles or flem in the mouth and throat.

When she breathes normally, do you hear any clicking or popping?

What do you normally keep the humidity at? Do you allow dry periods in between misting?

If I was in your position, I'd be making a vet appointment with an experienced exotic vet just to be safe since chams go downhill fast.

No noises at all I listened to her yesterday after I noticed. Her humidity has been around 40 and I run a humidifier at night. I didn’t run it last night because I freaked out. I always let it dry out between misting it. I went from misting 4 times a day to 2 one in the am and one at night and one very short one in the afternoon just on my live plants I definitely will make a vet appointment if I notice ANYTHING ELSE. I just took her to the vet on Friday and had a fecal ran and the vet said she looks great so if it’s just a one time occurrence I’m hesitant to take her right back my vet and put her through all that again. Yaknow?

Hey Jax... this is a female Veiled right? And your in AZ if I remember correctly? So they can do little sneeze like things. Clearing the nasal passages. Head pointed up can also mean she is just stretching into the heat... What are your daytime and night time humidity levels? Temperature is fine. Just not hotter then 85. You are using a cold mist humidifier correct?

So with an RI typical symptoms are gapping when it actually is not hot because they are having issues breathing. Wheezing sounds, strange sounds when they are breathing, bubbles or flem in the mouth and throat.

Wow you’re good lol. Yes and yes. And that definitely could’ve been the case I haven’t seen her do it since I took her to the vet on Friday and my vet said she looks great her fecal was good she checked for any signs of a RI and she didn’t have any but this happened two days later so I could definitely be freaking out for no reason I’m just nervous. I’ll keep monitoring her for the symptoms you mentioned and if I notice anything else back to the vet we will go. I just hate putting her through that again. It’s so hot here and my vet is an hour away.

Wow you’re good lol. Yes and yes. And that definitely could’ve been the case I haven’t seen her do it since I took her to the vet on Friday and my vet said she looks great her fecal was good she checked for any signs of a RI and she didn’t have any but this happened two days later so I could definitely be freaking out for no reason I’m just nervous. I’ll keep monitoring her for the symptoms you mentioned and if I notice anything else back to the vet we will go. I just hate putting her through that again. It’s so hot here and my vet is an hour away.

Thank you Becca you are always super helpful!!

Well if you just took her to the vet I would say just watch her. Like I said they do clear their nasal passages. Where in AZ do you live?
I try to remember people sometimes I get people confused but once I talk to them a few times I mostly get it down. :hilarious:

Well if you just took her to the vet I would say just watch her. Like I said they do clear their nasal passages. Where in AZ do you live?
I try to remember people sometimes I get people confused but once I talk to them a few times I mostly get it down. :hilarious:

Sorry my phone died right before I hit post reply ugh lol.
I live in Glendale which is in the Phoenix surrounding area and my vet is in Mesa. She was recommended to me by Bruce Brugoslavsky who’s a reptile vet on the chameleon forum on Facebook I wanted to make sure I went to a good one. And that definitely relaxes me a little bit but I’m still gonna watch like crazy cause I know something can happen after two days. I went through my husbandry with her and the only thing she told me to change was going from no substrate to a coconut fiber substrate which I wanted to get other opinions on before doing it? And yes you’re good lol idk if I would be able to remember all that. I’ve always wanted to see a picture of your boy though. :)

Sorry my phone died right before I hit post reply ugh lol.
I live in Glendale which is in the Phoenix surrounding area and my vet is in Mesa. She was recommended to me by Bruce Brugoslavsky who’s a reptile vet on the chameleon forum on Facebook I wanted to make sure I went to a good one. And that definitely relaxes me a little bit but I’m still gonna watch like crazy cause I know something can happen after two days. I went through my husbandry with her and the only thing she told me to change was going from no substrate to a coconut fiber substrate which I wanted to get other opinions on before doing it? And yes you’re good lol idk if I would be able to remember all that. I’ve always wanted to see a picture of your boy though. :)
What was her reasoning for adding a substrate to the enclosure? I think you will find most keepers will push back on this idea if you are not going full bio active that substrate is going to get nasty as well as the risk of impaction should she decide she enjoys eating it lol.

Yes, I am familiar with the Glendale area. I grew up in the Prescott Area. :) Lived in AZ most of my life.

What was her reasoning for adding a substrate to the enclosure? I think you will find most keepers will push back on this idea if you are not going full bio active that substrate is going to get nasty as well as the risk of impaction should she decide she enjoys eating it lol.

Yes, I am familiar with the Glendale area. I grew up in the Prescott Area. :) Lived in AZ most of my life.

Yeah that’s why I wanted to get everyone’s opinion when I first got her Petsmart told me to add moss into her enclosure so I did and the second day after joining this forum I ditched it lol so I was hesitant to just run out and do it cause she said so. I’d LOVE to go bioactive but I’ve never done it before and don’t think I should try it with a chameleon cause they’re SO sensitive. Maybe one day when I have more experience under my belt but definitely not until I’m ready and do more research lol. I do love the idea though I think it’s awesome.

I love Prescott it’s ao beautiful although I feel like it’s across the country in comparison to Phoenix lol it’s so different up there. Less dirty and the people are a lot more pleasant. I’ve been in Phoenix my whole life and would love to make it out of here one day lol.

Yeah that’s why I wanted to get everyone’s opinion when I first got her Petsmart told me to add moss into her enclosure so I did and the second day after joining this forum I ditched it lol so I was hesitant to just run out and do it cause she said so. I’d LOVE to go bioactive but I’ve never done it before and don’t think I should try it with a chameleon cause they’re SO sensitive. Maybe one day when I have more experience under my belt but definitely not until I’m ready and do more research lol. I do love the idea though I think it’s awesome.

I love Prescott it’s ao beautiful although I feel like it’s across the country in comparison to Phoenix lol it’s so different up there. Less dirty and the people are a lot more pleasant. I’ve been in Phoenix my whole life and would love to make it out of here one day lol.
Yeah I would hold off on putting anything in the bottom of her enclosure. Bioactive is totally do able and we have some awesome people in the forum that know a ton about how to do it correctly.

LOL yeah Prescott is a totally different world. I hated coming to Phoenix to go to the airport. It is a crazy land down there. Not to mention you melt in the summer "heat". Or those dang sand storms... I do miss the sun and the heat though.

Back
Top Bottom