possible mouth rot

burnedrose

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Male veiled, approx 1 year old, been in my care since August 2011
Handling - once a week , while I clean his cage. he is generally a pretty chill guy.
Feeding - Gutloading on a homemade gutload (assorted fruits and veggies, depending on what I happen to have in stock in the fridge). Kukui gets anywhere from 6-10 crickets every other day. He doesn't cup feed or hand feed. he does the good ol' style hunting technique.
Supplements - repashy every feeding
Watering - Mister, dripper, hand misting as needed. Mister goes off for five minutes every other hour, dripper generally lasts an entire day. I've had to hand mist a lot recently because my mister broke, so I try to do that when I'm home every hour for three minutes.
Fecal Description - solid poop, white urate. Was a little dehydrated over the past week because my mister was having issue with the heat and broke, but urates were still white with just a slight tinge of yellow near the poop.
History - He suffered a large casque burn when his basking lamp fell down this past winter/spring on the roof of his cage when I wasn't home. The vet surgically removed the burnt part, since it was burnt all the way through. No infections pre or post surgery.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Screen cage, approx 24x24x36
Lighting - lights on at 8am, lights off at 8pm. 5.0 UVB installed in april. heat lamp as needed.
Temperature - near lamp: 77-82, depending on how hot the day is. Bottom is a bit cooler with temp ranges between 65-75. Night temps are considerably cooler, but I couldn't give specific numbers - I've been slacking on recording those, but I'd assume no cooler than 64, which is what my thermostat for the house is set for at night.
Humidity - I have a non-digital humidity thermometer thingie. Right now, it's at 68% humidity.
Plants - Yes, 1 large suspended pothos
Placement - Bedroom, low traffic area. Was near a window, but moved a few months ago to corner of room to prevent any drafts.
Location - upstate NY

Current Problem - Today, I went to clean Kukui's cage and I noticed an odd black indent on his lip. I tried to take a picture of it, but it wasn't coming out clear enough. There is no swelling or tenderness (he didn't shy away or gape when I prodded it) but there is obviously some sort of sore. It is only about the size of a pinhead and hardly noticeably when you first stare at it. I had him open his mouth and there was nothing on the inside of his mouth to indicate any issues. it's just this one dark spot.

I DID notice though, the other day, that a cricket had crawled up on him, although it didn't look to be munching on him. I am concerned that this is either mouth rot or a cricket biting him. My other concern is that, this week, I am working 6am to 6pm, for the rest of the week. I have saturday and sunday free, so if it's an emergency, I dont think my boss will let me take time off, since we are understaffed and overworked.

I will try to take better pictures and post them.

This is the best picture I can get. He was moving around a lot, so I had to hold him so my old digital camera can take a picture of his cute lil face. Obviously, he hates me for it. lol

DSCN2383

DSCN2384

In the first pic, you can see it a bit clearer, but the second picture shows what I am concerned about - it's obviously an open sore, so I'm gunna hafta treat it, but what do I use to treat a sore when it's near the mouth before I can get him to the vet?

Better pictures would be good. Can you try with a zoom lens?

If it is a cricket bite, you might consult your vet, so that it does not infect further.

I think it is not mouth rot as it usually comes more as a swelling first. Yours seem to have a closed lip still.

Back
Top Bottom