Possible MBD/something else or am I just freaking out?

The quickest way to correct MBD is for a. Et to give her injections of calcium until her blood calcium levels are high enough to give her a shot of calcitonin which rapidly draws the calcium back into the bones.
Hen you need to make sure that you keep things in balance so it won't happen again.

Calcium, D3, phos and vitamin A are all players in bone health and other systems in the chameleon and need to be in balance. Exposure to UVB and appropriate temperatures also play a part. It's important to feed/gutload your insects well and to supplement properly too. It's also important not to overfeed a female...especially once she is sexually mature.

Also...do not fool around with her arm while she has his problem...you could break it.

When I GENTLY examined the Arm it felt soft, not hard. My husband is a vet tech but they don't really deal with reptiles at his practice.
Zelda seems to be getting better day by day and with the extremely fast onset of this swelling(?) (within 3-4 days) is leading me to think that it is not MBD(fingers crossed!) but I will continue to keep a close eye on it.

I have learned that my supplementing schedule has been a bit off so that will certainly help. The crickets I get from a store and are gutloaded with Green cubes, I believe.

Thanks so much, everyone!

ubaraba3.jpg

Zelda today.

Use cricket crack, repashy bug burger, dandilion leaves and veggies plus dust the crickets and you won't have any issues.

I do dust the crickets as well, but through this thread found out that my schedule is a little off which I will correct from here on!

Zelda is still "army crawling" along her branches and seems to be a bit lethargic.

I've increased her temp to about 75-80° but it doesn't seem to be getting any higher so I'll be getting a higher wattage bulb today. Hopefully that will raise the temp a bit more.

Arm is looking almost a bit better. After her last shed she had a bit of skin hanging off her nanu-nanu (that's what we call her hands/feet, like from Mork & Mindy) for a day of so after everything else had fallen off. I tried to "help" the piece of skin come off because it seemed to be bothering her a great deal but there was resistance and I immediately stopped. I don't remember which nanu-nanu it was, though. Maybe I hurt it? If I did, I feel so terrible. :(

Her basking temp should be 83 or 84 even 85 since she's not well. She is going to need liquid calcium and a vet visit.

I actually just got home from the store and got Flukers liquid calcium drops. I was able to get a few drops in her mouth. I also got a higher wattage basking bulb which raised the temp immediately. I had noticed that she was shooting and missing crickets earlier today so I hand fed some that she ate readily as well as a couple superworms. She seemed to have perked up since eating. If I notice she is still shooting and missing I'll continue to hand feed.

Any idea how much/how often I should give her the calcium drops?

Your chameleon's left arm does not look right. It has am extra joint and that should not be there. You should be dusting your feeders with calcium with no d3 at every feeding. The other two twice monthly. Your Chan could have mbd

I agree, it definitely isn't right!! I am no vet, but have been doing chams for a long time. I am almost certain it is the starting of MBD. At her age she needs calcium without D3 at EVERY feeding!!

Zelda has definitely perked up today! Much happier than the past week or so. She's holding her head up (not army crawling anymore) and enjoying "sunbathing."

This morning I got to see her "angry colors" for the first time ever (I've had her for 3+ months) when I accidentally caught her tail in between the feeding dish and the branch as I was trying to offer her some superworms. The picture I'm attaching is when her colors were going away but they're still awesome.

HOWEVER, now I'm noticing something funky in her rear right leg as you can also see in the picture. My husband is a vet tech (his practice doesn't deal with reptiles) and he will be special rush ordering some higher quality liquid calcium from a reputible pharmaceuticals rep. I also couldn't find any straight calcium powder-only with D3-so I'm ordering that online too. I'm really hoping that I've caught this and she can live a relatively healthy life from here on forward.

Here is Zelda normal just now. Holding her head up and she seems much more bright eyed to me as I think you can tell from my earlier pics. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368116435.432677.jpg

Okay. Need help NOW. Zelda is NOT herself at all today. She is dark colored, hiding, and keeping her eyes closed. My husband thinks she's acting like she does right before a shed but she just shed not too long ago. That would be all I need is her to have me freaking out over a shed as If she hasn't been worrying me enough lately. She did blow bubbles this morning and threw up a dime sized amount of clear liquid just as I started spraying her. She also has some dark(almost black) colorations on the bottom left side of her mouth. Haven't seen her eat since Wednesday when I had to hand feed her a couple medium crickets and a couple medium superworms. I have a call in to my vet. Hoping she can help but figured I'd post here too.

She seems to have perked up since this morning. Not hiding as much but still dark and closing her eyes. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368210027.589021.jpg
She doesn't look herself. I'm so worried.

Back
Top Bottom