Possible eye/shed issue

SS4Luck

Established Member
So i know a lot of this is me freaking out, but i want to make sure. Plus i havent had the internet for a month + and ive just been like an addict without his fix dying to ask about everything. So here it goes...

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Male panther, 4ish months old been in my care for 1.5
Handling - MAYBE one a week
Feeding - He is offered 8-12 appropriate sized crickets a day, dusted with calcium (have both w and w/o D3, gets D3 once every 10 days) or multivitamin (also once every 10 days). Crickets are gutloaded with cricket crack and watered with the flukers jelly water stuff
Supplements - All repcal product, see schedule above
Watering - Automatic mister. 5 1 minute sessions and 2 5 minute sessions per day. I do not observe my chameleon drinking usually, but there are times where i can sneak up on him and watch. he also has a dripper
Fecal Description - Recent droppings appear normal, same with urates. Yes he has been tested for everything
History - He shed about 2 days after i got him (see around 12/1/10) and has not since. He has had a 3 day hunger strike where he would not eat.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - all screen 18x18x36
Lighting - linear reptisun 5.0, 1 grow light two normal household basking light . lights turn on at 730 am and off at 715pm
Temperature - ambients are in the mid 70s, basking is 81-85 (depending on room temps) lowest night temps are mid-low 60s when i forget to close my window
Humidity - humidity is never below 40% my misting schedule keeps humidity in good range, while allowing the cage to completely dry between waterings. I use a flukers dual combo meter to measure cage ambients and humidity in mid range of the cage.
Plants - One live ficus, trimmed for good walkways and coverage/hiding spots
Placement - Cage is in my bedroom next to my bed. It is a low low traffic area. Cage is elevated and top of cage is about 6 1/2 ft off the ground
Location - Southern California

Current Problem - His eye seems to be bothering since he shed. He holds one eye shut a majority of the time. He will open it to hunt/move. It doesnt appear to have anything in it/arond it.

A member has mentioned i might try showering him, so i will try that tomorrow. Just wanted to start this going to get the ball rolling. Also the shedding issue has god me thinking, Reptar, my last veiled, seemed to be shedding a lot more frequently than Omerta.

Here is a picture:
Eye closed
DSC_0451.jpg

Eye open
DSC_0454.jpg

Full body picture, even here you can see something is up with his left eye
DSC_0446.jpg

Last edited:
Can I ask as to why you are using TWO 5.0's??? You only need one especially in that size of an enclsoure. Doubt that has anything to do with his eye but just an observation I made.

They can get bits of the rim skin stuck, possibly scratch the eye trying to remove it, like a dog scratching fleas. You might try flushing the eye by a very light misting (directly but not too close) for a few days.
If your really concerned, have the vet check it out incase the eye is scratched etc, they will probly prescribe drops (if thats the case).
Might also just be slightly too intense lighting aswell, one will do. :)

I would recomend getting a bottle of saline solution for contacts and shoot a stream in his eye. If its closed you can squirt the saline solution strong enough to open and get into the eye socket. After you get some in, with your finger massage really gently the entire eye socket.

Try that once a day for a few days. If its a scratch it will help keep it lubricated. If its shed it help work it free.

Extra misting like jojackson (nice to see you btw) said is also really good for them when they are going through problems like this. Aim for the eye with a gentle mist.

Can I ask as to why you are using TWO 5.0's??? You only need one especially in that size of an enclsoure. Doubt that has anything to do with his eye but just an observation I made.

err my bad. Im using 2 house bulbs and 1 5.0.... sorry im not my best at 3am lol

They can get bits of the rim skin stuck, possibly scratch the eye trying to remove it, like a dog scratching fleas. You might try flushing the eye by a very light misting (directly but not too close) for a few days.
If your really concerned, have the vet check it out incase the eye is scratched etc, they will probly prescribe drops (if thats the case).
Might also just be slightly too intense lighting aswell, one will do. :)

Alright, im going to try and shower him today/tomorrow. Well see what that does for him.

He could have an infection in that eye. I'd get a vets visit and get it checked out.

ill call and make an apt for the end of the week when im off from work

I would recomend getting a bottle of saline solution for contacts and shoot a stream in his eye. If its closed you can squirt the saline solution strong enough to open and get into the eye socket. After you get some in, with your finger massage really gently the entire eye socket.

Try that once a day for a few days. If its a scratch it will help keep it lubricated. If its shed it help work it free.

Extra misting like jojackson (nice to see you btw) said is also really good for them when they are going through problems like this. Aim for the eye with a gentle mist.

thanks Ryan!

Ill keep everyone informed

Okay so after 2 days of showering he seems to be more willing to open his eyes, at least they are open now more often when i see him.

hopefully another few days will cure him

How is his drinking? Have you seen any sign of slight dehydration? I would make sure he has some silkworms or small hornworms just in case. I have found that good hydration helps keep the eyes clear and open in addition to extra misting.
Is he a Nosy Be? Hope he recovers quickly!
Edit: I see he is an ambi from Lance in your other thread.

there was no signs of any any sort of dehydration. He just is small/shy enough to not want to eat/drink infront of me yet lol

Back
Top Bottom