Possible emergency

Jc555

Hi ive had my veiled chameleon for about 4 months now and im not panicking yet but today both his basking bulbs ran out and i had to get him new ones but i could only find one, 60W blue natural basking bulb so the other for now is a 60W nightime red bulb which is equivalent in heat, but moving on my veiled is currently lying down in the corner just lying there and i looked up other people having this problem and it seems to never be a good thing usually being dehydration or a sickness, i definitely dont expect dehydration because he gets 4 1 minute sprayings a day by a misting machine, the only sickness that made a little sense was edema just because i powder with calcium with V.D3, 6 days, the 7th day is multivitamins. But heres the catch, i dont think he is sick at all for the most part as he eats fine, is active, and basks, its just that he hates everyone, and hides like crazy if anyone including me comes in, just like when i came into my room today he was high on a branch and 2 minutes later he is laying on the ground in the corner for a solid 20 minutes, i think hes just hiding but just asking for sure. As well i tried to agitate him a little and he climbed all the way to the top of his enclosure and i shut the cage and he went right back to the corner (Proving hes not weak in any type of way) Let me know what you think he seems in very healthy condition eats fine, is active, sheds about once a month, but does hate people a lot lol, thanks.

99% of chameleons hate people, its just a matter of how much!

EXACTLY what kind of bulbs are you using now and what did you have before?

Yes i knew that about chameleons i was just trying to explain how much mine does (Id say more than usual), I will let you know the lighting but he is doing very well, two 60W daylight blue zoomed basking bulbs, and a UVB reptisun 10.0 T5 (Long one, 22 inches to be exact).

4x1 minute mistings isn't a lot unless it's a glass enclosure...
4x3 minutes would be more like it.

You also shouldn't use red lights, especially not at night... If you use it at night it could also be exhaustion since the light won't let him get proper sleep.
12hrs day 12hrs night, nights can drop cold, to like 50F is fine so no heatsource should be required.
You can just get a normal household bulb for basking and it will be good enough for him, no need to get fancy reptile brand lamps.

4x1 minute mistings isn't a lot unless it's a glass enclosure...
4x3 minutes would be more like it.

You also shouldn't use red lights, especially not at night... If you use it at night it could also be exhaustion since the light won't let him get proper sleep.
12hrs day 12hrs night, nights can drop cold, to like 50F is fine so no heatsource should be required.
You can just get a normal household bulb for basking and it will be good enough for him, no need to get fancy reptile brand lamps.

Ok..., There is nothing i can do about the mistings currently other than upgrade it to 6 times a day, one min is the max. And so could i stick with just one blue for now and ditch the red since they arent really ok (According to you)? Thanks as well i NEVER use lights at night i just intended for them both to be a day thing thanks.

ditch the red since they arent really ok (According to you)?
They aren't really okay for anybody, not just @Remkon. I will just provide a second opinion if you doubt Remkon's (not sure why tho). Yes, red lights are not good for your cham. They can screw up their eyes (you will never see red rays of light in the wild) and regular incandescent bulbs are much better. They also look much more appealing.

They aren't really okay for anybody, not just @Remkon. I will just provide a second opinion if you doubt Remkon's (not sure why tho). Yes, red lights are not good for your cham. They can screw up their eyes (you will never see red rays of light in the wild) and regular incandescent bulbs are much better. They also look much more appealing.

Sorry i wasnt trying to make it sound like i disagreed with him, more of a “Oh i didnt know that” Mood, i totally agree with that. Im just wondering without the additional heat will he be fine, thanks.

Hi ive had my veiled chameleon for about 4 months now and im not panicking yet but today both his basking bulbs ran out and i had to get him new ones but i could only find one, 60W blue natural basking bulb so the other for now is a 60W nightime red bulb which is equivalent in heat, but moving on my veiled is currently lying down in the corner just lying there and i looked up other people having this problem and it seems to never be a good thing usually being dehydration or a sickness, i definitely dont expect dehydration because he gets 4 1 minute sprayings a day by a misting machine, the only sickness that made a little sense was edema just because i powder with calcium with V.D3, 6 days, the 7th day is multivitamins. But heres the catch, i dont think he is sick at all for the most part as he eats fine, is active, and basks, its just that he hates everyone, and hides like crazy if anyone including me comes in, just like when i came into my room today he was high on a branch and 2 minutes later he is laying on the ground in the corner for a solid 20 minutes, i think hes just hiding but just asking for sure. As well i tried to agitate him a little and he climbed all the way to the top of his enclosure and i shut the cage and he went right back to the corner (Proving hes not weak in any type of way) Let me know what you think he seems in very healthy condition eats fine, is active, sheds about once a month, but does hate people a lot lol, thanks.

That's a lot of d3. You should be using a calcium WITHOUT d3 at most feedings. A calcium WITH d3 every 2 weeks and a multivitamin every 2 weeks on alternating weeks.

That's a lot of d3. You should be using a calcium WITHOUT d3 at most feedings. A calcium WITH d3 every 2 weeks and a multivitamin every 2 weeks on alternating weeks.
Good news, there is no emergency i came back from my camp 5 hours later and he was basking and he started to dash for the corner so im confident its just a hiding tactic. But with this vitamin D3 stuff ive been feeding him calcium with d3 6 days a week accordingly to all my animals as well i just kinda thought i could go overkill with the UVB light as well, should i change this habit with all my animals? Thanks.

Just the chameleons they have different requirements than other reptiles.
Veiled supplement schedule
Feeder insects should be lightly dusted with powdered supplement before being fed to your chameleon. Many keepers successfully use calcium (without D3 or phosphorus) at nearly every feeding, multivitamin once every 2 weeks, and calcium with D3 once every 2 weeks.
Care sheet https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

Just the chameleons they have different requirements than other reptiles.
Veiled supplement schedule
Feeder insects should be lightly dusted with powdered supplement before being fed to your chameleon. Many keepers successfully use calcium (without D3 or phosphorus) at nearly every feeding, multivitamin once every 2 weeks, and calcium with D3 once every 2 weeks.
Care sheet https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/
Ok thanks

Back
Top Bottom