Possible broken leg?

So I’m a new chameleon owner. I did a lot of research on chameleons before I bought one, and I’ve owned turtles before. I went and bought a 2 month old chameleon mid january.
As of this week he’s been acting different. (Long story) I suspect MBD and he’s going to the vet on Monday. But I wanted to know if you guys thought maybe his legs look broken? He moves around fine, doesn’t seem to be in pain when he moves. Earlier this week he wouldn’t move from one spot but the past two days he has been eagerly exploring his cage.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 396
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 717
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 365
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 537
I see abreak and MBD.

Please fill out the “how to ask for help” form and post your answers back here. Quality pictures will help us help you.

Chameleon Info:
◦Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
◦Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
◦Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
◦Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
◦Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
◦Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
◦History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
◦Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
◦Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
◦Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
◦Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
◦Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
◦Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
◦Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
1The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
2Photos can be very helpful.

Species: Veiled chameleon, male
Robert has been in my care since mid January
I handle him often, a few times a week
Until about a week ago he was only eating crickets, I recently bought him hornworms and superworms to add variety to his diet.
I feed him every morning at least 4 large crickets. Sometimes he is handfed in the afternoon if he didn’t eat in the morning. He seems to prefer me holding the bugs.
Currently I am gutloding my superworms and crickets with blackberries, papaya and collard greens. I also mix in Flukers crickets food just for added nutrients so the crickets stay alive longer
The calcium without d3 is repti calicum. The calcium with d3 is repcal. And for multivitamins I use herpivite by repcal
I took 2 spray bottles and poked small holes in the bottom so they would drip all day when I’m not home. I have one on each side of the cage. One of them drips directly onto his plants. I usually mist in the morning and when I get home from school. My times vary. If he moves out of the spray I stop spraying immediately. If he shows interest or or doesn’t move I keep spraying until he drinks. He seems to prefer warm water over cold and won’t move away as much. More often then not I see him drink.
His feces are normal. Firm brown poop with mostly white urnate. It’s not runny, there’s no discoloration or undigested bits.
I should add that while I did lots and lots of research on cams before I got one. I failed to read info on calcium. When I bought Robert, (from petco) the salesman said he only needed calcium about twice a month. I realize now that he actually needs it every day, and calcium with d3 twice a month and multivitamin twice a month.
Within a week after buying Robert he was very friendly and even eating out of my hand. He liked getting out of his cage and exploring. But after a few weeks he began to avoid me. He always remained a darker color and would sit in one spot and not move. I frantically began researching what was wrong and realized I had been misinformed. I immediately went and bought all the supplements I needed and the gutloading stuff he needed. He had lost his appetite, I had to force feed for a couple days. After 2 or 3 days he seemed more interested in food and starting moving about his cage again and acting more normal. I’m very relieved by this but I know he’s still in bad shape and needs a vet. He’s going to one on Monday

My cage metal mesh. It’s dimensions are approximately 16x16x24
All the items for the cage came with the reptibreeze chameleon kit.
When I first got him I was unable to get the cage any higher than 75 degrees. I bought a heater that’s kept pretty far away from him as not to overheat the metal and successfully got the cage to 90 degrees during the day. At night, I point the heater away from the cage so the room stays warm but his cage tempatire drops. It doesn’t go below 64. I have a thermometer in the cage.
I keep a blanket around the top part of his cage (not blocking the light so he gets direct uvb) to hold humidity in. I’m planning on getting a shower curtain material to better maintain. I have a humidity monitor in the cage.
I have one live plant. The name of the plant slipped my mind right now but it is safe for chameleons. However it is a young plant and hasn’t grown very high off the ground so Robert doesn’t interact with it much.
My cage is placed against a wall with a shelf next to it so 2 sides of the cage are covered to keep heat and humidity in. I have a heater pointed at it. It’s not near any air vents besides the heater and that’s placed a ways from him.
I have the cage sitting on a little table so he is off the ground. However it’s still very low. But I live in a small apartment so it’s difficult to find a small table that won’t cramp up my room. But I’m still looking. I live in Omaha Arkansas, it’s humid down here but very cold at the moment. But Robert is kept very warm.

I’m concerned he has MBD and his front legs might be broken. I’m going to a vet Monday but is there anything I should do in the meantime?

You should really copy and paste then fill out the help form. You didn't answer everything including the most important part your lighting. I see a few things wrong with your husbandry right off the bat but we need to know specific details. He should see a vet ASAP though.

You should really copy and paste then fill out the help form. You didn't answer everything including the most important part your lighting. I see a few things wrong with your husbandry right off the bat but we need to know specific details. He should see a vet ASAP though.
It’s the lights that came with the reptibreeze chameleon kit. I’d have to look it up or call petco to find out because I don’t have the original box anymore.
What’s wrong with my husbandry?

Chameleons don't need heaters they need a properly temped basking light. The lights that came in your kit are basicly killing your chameleon. He doesn't require a blue light for basking he requires a white basking light preferably in the 50-100w range depending on how far down your basking spot is from the light. You need a temp gun to monitor these temps. A simple dial gauge gives you a good idea of what his ambient temp is but not his basking temp. His basking temp should be no hotter than 85 degrees at this age. The UVB bulb that comes in that kit is also insufficient. He needs at least a 24" T5HO linear 5.0 or 10.0 (ZooMed) or 6% or 12% (Arcadia) UVB bulb that needs to be replaced every 6 month's. The light that the kit provides doesn't produce the UVB in a broad enough area or at a high enough intensity for his body to naturally produce D3. His cage is too small as well. A male adult Veiled can reach 2ft in length from tail to his nose. He will require an enclosure no less than 2'x2'x4'. I'm sorry the pet store lied to you. I've said it before and I'll say it again the Chameleon Kit should really be removed from the market.

He does have zoo med lighting. He has a Daylight uva reptile bulb which is 60 Watts. and a reptisun 5.0. I’m fully aware that this cage is too small for adults but he is not an adult yet.

If there’s something else I need to get for Robert I’m sure the vet will tell me. I just want to know if I need to do anything before I bring him in

Chameleons don't need heaters they need a properly temped basking light. The lights that came in your kit are basicly killing your chameleon. He doesn't require a blue light for basking he requires a white basking light preferably in the 50-100w range depending on how far down your basking spot is from the light. You need a temp gun to monitor these temps. A simple dial gauge gives you a good idea of what his ambient temp is but not his basking temp. His basking temp should be no hotter than 85 degrees at this age. The UVB bulb that comes in that kit is also insufficient. He needs at least a 24" T5HO linear 5.0 or 10.0 (ZooMed) or 6% or 12% (Arcadia) UVB bulb that needs to be replaced every 6 month's. The light that the kit provides doesn't produce the UVB in a broad enough area or at a high enough intensity for his body to naturally produce D3. His cage is too small as well. A male adult Veiled can reach 2ft in length from tail to his nose. He will require an enclosure no less than 2'x2'x4'. I'm sorry the pet store lied to you. I've said it before and I'll say it again the Chameleon Kit should really be removed from the market.
I only have the heater because the apartment I live in is too cold for just his basking light to keep the cage warm.

He does have zoo med lighting. He has a Daylight uva reptile bulb which is 60 Watts. and a reptisun 5.0. I’m fully aware that this cage is too small for adults but he is not an adult yet.
Not all lights are created equal. He needs a T5 High Output Linear Light! But by all means don't listen to me because what you're doing or using is working out for you right now correct?! What you have is a dual dome light fixture with a mini compact UVB 5.0 light by ZooMed and a blue daylight bulb that came with the kit. And I'm telling you this is insufficient!

Jesus dude I am listening to you. I’m new to all this. Thanks but I’d rather listen to the vet who’s actually going to give me advice than person who’s avoided the very question I asked on this thread in the first place and instead criticize me on something I wasn’t even asking about.
I will let the vet know about my “insufficient” lighting and ask them what I should buy. Thanks.

I'm not a vet so I can't tell you that your chameleon has a broken leg or MBD. Why? Because, as stated, I'm not a vet and I don't have your chameleon in front of me or have xrays which would be the defining teller. I'm sorry if you feel like I'm yelling at you, I assure you I am not. I'm worried that you were not listening. Simply stating you had a UVB light is not the same as having the proper lighting. I was concerned you were being defensive and deflecting. Did you watch the YouTube video I posted?

Things you need ASAP
1) A deep dome light fixture
2) A 75w basking bulb or 75w halogen light bulb
3) a 24" Reptisun or Arcadia T5HO linear fixture with a 5.0 or 10.0 (Reptisun) or 6% or 12% (Arcadia) UVB bulb
4) 2'x2'x4' enclosure

Im trying to help you and your Cham I'm not trying to be an asshole... Although sometimes I can be and can come across as such. I'm just very concerned for the little guy. I hope this helps.

I'm not a vet so I can't tell you that your chameleon has a broken leg or MBD. Why? Because, as stated, I'm not a vet and I don't have your chameleon in front of me or have xrays which would be the defining teller. I'm sorry if you feel like I'm yelling at you, I assure you I am not. I'm worried that you were not listening. Simply stating you had a UVB light is not the same as having the proper lighting. I was concerned you were being defensive and deflecting. Did you watch the YouTube video I posted?

Things you need ASAP
1) A deep dome light fixture
2) A 75w basking bulb or 75w halogen light bulb
3) a 24" Reptisun or Arcadia T5HO linear fixture with a 5.0 or 10.0 (Reptisun) or 6% or 12% (Arcadia) UVB bulb
4) 2'x2'x4' enclosure

Im trying to help you and your Cham I'm not trying to be an asshole... Although sometimes I can be and can come across as such. I'm just very concerned for the little guy. I hope this helps.
Yes that helps. Thank you. I’m sorry if I came off like I wasn’t listening. I was just trying to understand why the lights you recommended and the lights I have were different. The video helped clear all that up for me.

Yes that helps. Thank you. I’m sorry if I came off like I wasn’t listening. I was just trying to understand why the lights you recommended and the lights I have were different. The video helped clear all that up for me.
Camo is just trying to help and correct about the lights ! And no you can’t count on your vet to tell you what equipment to buy. Most have good intentions but simply aren’t up to date on the matter. Remember it’s difficult to convey tone over written text, most people on here are just trying to help!
909EC3F6-5B42-457C-A99F-3902DD53633E.jpeg
D7E32F44-8DB0-4A1C-8F5C-C543ECAAA523.png
A68595EF-3611-424D-ABCD-5FBA12D38E99.png
017A36B1-6A6A-4D6A-9AEC-4019D187EF58.png
1E15D59C-22DD-46BD-9C25-6667EE5A6928.jpeg
4F097199-CD0C-4C40-B170-556678C76563.jpeg
EC28D59E-28FA-4F8A-89D9-4B70F7BAEF71.jpeg
3C0777DA-DFBA-429D-8B2B-5E6958B36629.jpeg
512889F5-0BCC-42E7-9E25-259CD71737B0.jpeg

Camo is just trying to help and correct about the lights ! And no you can’t count on your vet to tell you what equipment to buy. Most have good intentions but simply aren’t up to date on the matter. Remember it’s difficult to convey tone over written text, most people on here are just trying to help!View attachment 224692View attachment 224693View attachment 224694View attachment 224695View attachment 224696View attachment 224697View attachment 224698View attachment 224699View attachment 224700
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom