Possible broken leg?

Camo is just trying to help and correct about the lights ! And no you can’t count on your vet to tell you what equipment to buy. Most have good intentions but simply aren’t up to date on the matter. Remember it’s difficult to convey tone over written text, most people on here are just trying to help!View attachment 224692View attachment 224693View attachment 224694View attachment 224695View attachment 224696View attachment 224697View attachment 224698View attachment 224699View attachment 224700
So I have the daylight reptile bulb that you had shown in your chameleon non-uvb light basics picture... will that one not work for Veiled Chams?

So I have the daylight reptile bulb that you had shown in your chameleon non-uvb light basics picture... will that one not work for Veiled Chams?
You can get away with it if you have younger veilds but adults need the higher wattage bulbs due to the fact that they require higher temps and your most likely going to be trying to create a bigger basking area in general. Honestly it’s all about striking the right balance of wattage/distance/temp-range your particular situation requires. In your situation this is actually a good thing, the “reptile” bulbs are more expensive and tend to burn out sooner than the old school incandescent bulbs!

You can get away with it if you have younger veilds but adults need the higher wattage bulbs due to the fact that they require higher temps and your most likely going to be trying to create a bigger basking area in general. Honestly it’s all about striking the right balance of wattage/distance/temp-range your particular situation requires. In your situation this is actually a good thing, the “reptile” bulbs are more expensive and tend to burn out sooner than the old school incandescent bulbs!
Alright. But just so I don’t make another mistake, what bulbs and fixtures do you recommend I get now, and in the future when I get a bigger cage?

You should get a t-5 or t-8 linear bulb 2 feet or 4 feet depending on how big your setup is, I use a 4 foot one bulb t-8 5.0 and the other bulb full spectrum 6500k from home depot for the plants. The fixture=$18.00 + bulb uv $24.99 + full spectrum bulb $8.00 = $50.00 with out the uv bulb your chameleon will die, they need it to metabolize calcium

I'd disagree. From the looks of him he looks closer to 5 to 6 months old. He needs an adult sized cage within the next month at very least. If he was only 2-4 months old as stated it's very rare that they start to show sign of MBD at such a young age.
Just went back and looked, your right. He’s damn near full grown and due for an upgrade. I go through so many threads in a day it gets hard to keep them all straight sometimes...

I wish I would have seen/been able to reply sooner, but I've been away on a mini vacation and haven't had a chance. Welcome to the forums! Lots of excellent husbandry related suggestions have been made. Unfortunately, there's not much that can be done regarding home care for broken limbs in reptiles. If he's having a hard time getting around or if you're worried that he's moving around too much (and possibly aggravating the injury) it may be worth setting him up in a smaller hospital tank- at least until your vet has a chance to see him. This will also help if he happens to take a tumble - a known affect of MBD. Your vet will likely prescribe you an anti inflammatory painkiller, and possibly calcium gluconate to help rebuild his bone density.

Dragon Strand has some of the best quality cages on the market, and have had fabulous reviews! If the shipping wasn't so expensive for me (I live in Canada) that would likely be my go to brand. Otherwise, you can shop around for a ReptiBreeze XL (2x2x4) or similar and see if you can get a deal on Amazon or whatever. I'm personally getting a 36x18x36 ExoTerra to use for a bioactive set up for my boy, and intend to convert a display cabinet when I have more room.

Good luck with your boy, and keep us posted. You're in the right place!

~Amanda

I know I meant who should I buy it from.
I personally bought a DIY 2x2x4 cage off Ebay for $120 shipped to my door in under 5days from California to Colorado via FedEx. It will be here tomorrow. I have a almost 4month old Veil Chameleon male.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190304-085533_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20190304-085533_eBay.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 168
Time for the vet trip. Gonna cover up most of the cage so he sleeps during the trip.(hour drive) but I’ll leave some of it open for fresh air flow
Thank you for taking him to the vet. I know you may feel a little "attacked", but most mean well. I can't tell you how many threads I've seen, very similar to this one, where the owner hems and haws and doesn't take the poor creature to a vet, until it's just too late. Most swear that it's fine, and it doesn't need a vet, and then drop off the forums.

Thank you for taking him to the vet. I know you may feel a little "attacked", but most mean well. I can't tell you how many threads I've seen, very similar to this one, where the owner hems and haws and doesn't take the poor creature to a vet, until it's just too late. Most swear that it's fine, and it doesn't need a vet, and then drop off the forums.
I understand that I’m new to all this and don’t know everything despite the research I’ve done. I only want to make sure Robert gets better. :))

Back
Top Bottom