Possible bite?? + Morio worm concern

Vlmc

1 and a half year old red bar male panther.

A month or two ago I saw a tiny spot by his bum, not thinking anything of it. Recently it's gotten a lot bigger and I don't know what it is. I asked my uncle (used to also have a panther cham) and he said it was a locust bite, it hasn't gone down at all, if anything is getting bigger. Ive done some research and couldn't find anything that looks like it.

--SEPARATE CONCERN--
2-3 days ago I bought Tango a tub of morio worms (recommended from the shop) to change up his diet, have been gutloading them well and fed them as normal along with a few locusts. Tango has gotten very dehydrated, which I can tell by his eyes, they've gone in his head quite a bit. Today he's been slow, hasn't moved much and hasn't wanted to eat too. This morning I saw a clutch of 4 morio worms in a sticky gunk, I presume he just popped them out but they were completely whole, not chewed up, though when I see him eat he chews very well. Calcium is given well and the locusts are dusted with it every 2-3 days. He has literally just shedded. Am going to stop feeding him these while I get answers.

Attachments

• IMG_20190809_211553.jpg
    IMG_20190809_211553.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 184
Are you talking about the thing sticking out of his vent? That could be a sperm plug but it’s hard to tell from the pic.

Not sure about the other concern but what is your supplement schedule? You only said calcium every 2-3 days. Do you use a multivitamin and d3 at all?

In my opinion, if you get doo much d3 the digestive organs could start to solidify/calciumify, I've seen it happen and the animal couldn't digest any food, it was a bearded dragon but since they are both lizard species I would guess they have the same kind of problem, but that's only if its being fed with d3 otherwise, Idk.

Are you talking about the thing sticking out of his vent? That could be a sperm plug but it’s hard to tell from the pic.

Not sure about the other concern but what is your supplement schedule? You only said calcium every 2-3 days. Do you use a multivitamin and d3 at all?
Sorry, I forgot to mention multivitamins and stuff too. The calcium we give him is a big tub mixed with multivitamins 'a calcium balancer and multivitamin'.

Today I checked him as soon as I woke up and he was absolutely fine, eyes were out, he's eating and his colours look fine too. Googled chameleon sperm plug and that looks like it's what it is. I'm going to leave it alone though and leave it another week or so, because I don't know what to do with plugs.

Attachments

• IMG_20190810_103008.jpg
    IMG_20190810_103008.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 52
In my opinion, if you get doo much d3 the digestive organs could start to solidify/calciumify, I've seen it happen and the animal couldn't digest any food, it was a bearded dragon but since they are both lizard species I would guess they have the same kind of problem, but that's only if its being fed with d3 otherwise, Idk.
The calcium/multivitamin has no d3 in it, should I buy some? He's looking absolutely fine today as you can see from what I replied to my other response.

Unless he lives in an outdoor enclosure he will need d3 supplemented in his diet..

Could you fill this out? As detailed as possible. This way the forum can go over some specifics and get him as healthy as possible. Lots of keepers here switch all supplements to Repashy Calcium Plus LoD. It has small amounts of d and other vitamins as well as calcium.

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

?

1 and a half year old red bar male panther.

A month or two ago I saw a tiny spot by his bum, not thinking anything of it. Recently it's gotten a lot bigger and I don't know what it is. I asked my uncle (used to also have a panther cham) and he said it was a locust bite, it hasn't gone down at all, if anything is getting bigger. Ive done some research and couldn't find anything that looks like it.

--SEPARATE CONCERN--
2-3 days ago I bought Tango a tub of morio worms (recommended from the shop) to change up his diet, have been gutloading them well and fed them as normal along with a few locusts. Tango has gotten very dehydrated, which I can tell by his eyes, they've gone in his head quite a bit. Today he's been slow, hasn't moved much and hasn't wanted to eat too. This morning I saw a clutch of 4 morio worms in a sticky gunk, I presume he just popped them out but they were completely whole, not chewed up, though when I see him eat he chews very well. Calcium is given well and the locusts are dusted with it every 2-3 days. He has literally just shedded. Am going to stop feeding him these while I get answers.
Thank you all for all of the very helpful information, I really appreciate it.

Be careful...you don't want to latch onto the hemipene and pull it out thinking its a sperm plug.

Concerning supplements...a chameleon needs a balance of phosphorous, calcium, vitamin D3 and vitamin A..

Since there is lots of phos found in its diet we use a phos free calcium powder dusted on the insects lightly just before feeding them to the chameleon at most feedings. Since the chameleon needs D3 to be able to use the calcium in its system, and D3 from supplements can build up in the system causing health issues we dust twice a month lightly with a phos free calcium/D3 powder and leave the chameleon to produce the rest of the D3 from its exposure to the UVB light we provide for it. Vitamin A also builds up in the system IF ITS FROM A PREFORMED SOURCE so we dust twice a month lightly with a vitamin powder that has a beta carotene (preformed) source of vitamin A . This leaves it up to us to decide whether the chameleon needs some preformed vitamin A or not. Vitamin D3 and vitamin A are antagonistic to each other so they need to be in balance.

I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom