Poor little guy, Way better off!

Char333p

Avid Member
My lil guy had a stressful day today! I moved him into his bigger home! Not 100% finished. Plants need to fill in as well as add some more upper cover. Hopefully pothos will do that as it grows too. Also i will be covering soil with rocks today so no worries. Not that hes ever showed interest in soil

Phewy though... it isnt easy taking some stuff from old enclosure and adding to new one. Then getting him transfered is scary for me lol... hes never bit me but when he puffs up it does its job an makes me weary and think twice lol.

Its a dragon strand clearside large enclosure... of course first thing he did was reach and cling to ceiling. So i had to put long poles in 3 spots for him to reach when he ready to come down. Dont want him falling.

Any suggestions you wana give, shoot! Leme know what you think about the positions of everything... more pics to come

Attachments

• 20181013_150348.jpg
    20181013_150348.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 108
  • 20181013_150337.jpg
    20181013_150337.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 129
  • 20181013_150355.jpg
    20181013_150355.jpg
    344 KB · Views: 127
Can get good pics through the front clear panel... no more screen on the front of it ... hes so lightly colored when sleepin... looks cozy

Attachments

• 20181013_213646.jpg
    20181013_213646.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 74
Oh man! I just wrote 2 blog posts on a cage upgrade and transfer this evening. They're kinda long and might have way more than what you're looking for, but feel free to check them out if you think they'll help, or at the very least be a little amusing.

I used absolutely everything I could to fill the new cage at first, knowing that I still wanted to use the old cage plants and vines too. I set the two cages against each other and his curiosity got the best of him and he climbed in to the new cage (with some hiccups in between). Then I just kept him in that new cage while I "quickly" cleaned off the old cage materials. He was fine in the interim, but it was going to be stressful no matter what. It was tough to add anything to the new cage and keep an eye on him at the same time because he kept trying to escape on me! He was just stressed out and didn't know what the heck was going on. But after a day or so my little guy settled right in and he's so happy now. And don't let me be misleading about this whole process being easy on me, haha. I stumbled quite a bit through this. This was not a 2-3 day process. Honestly I kept tweaking things for quite a while, but I finally posted my blog posts tonight because I feel like I've reached a stopping point today.

I definitely added WAY more vines and branches than I ever thought I would, but after watching him the first few days I just saw a need for a LOT of branches and vines. I got that advice once, and I still find myself reminding myself of it because they just walk and climb all over the place!

Omg yes. I bought new vines and had old ones. it still wasnt really enough.. specially to reach unoccupied spaces.. last time i made the mistake of putting bamboo rods secured the enclosure too low that it was impossible to get my plants out if need be. This time i kept that open.

But yeah my guys not an out of enclosure explorer hes very cautious yet not afraid to check things out... but when it was just him an a couple vines... it was hard to get him out... eventually he grabbed a stick i put into it

Haha, my little guy is very shy too! I was shocked that he initially went into the new cage within 5 minutes. Jaw on the floor shocked! But of course as soon as I came over to remove the old cage he scurried over to his old comfort zone and I had to start all over, haha.

From the pics in your original post, would it be better to add more horizontal walking paths? Or no? I'm a novice cham owner, so I'm just brainstorming. I've always thought it would make sense to stick smaller sticks (maybe even bamboo) directly into plant pots too, not just to help support plants growing upward but for chameleons too as they grow and have somewhere to hold on to. I stuck one in my umbrella plant and my little guy slept on that his first night in his new enclosure, but has since found better hiding spots, haha.

Yeah. Still work in progress... added some earlier actually... need more vertical access on the walls as well. Do a little more each day is all

Back
Top Bottom