Poor Baby,

lazzara8478

My husband came home for lunch and had a young Chameleon on his hand. He said he almost ran over it on his motorcycle but realized what it was. He said there were birds attacking it in the middle of the road!:eek:
I put him in our spare cage and he is still freaking out climbing all over it. He's dehydrated and was gaping his mouth so I misted him with the hose and am leaving him.

not sure what to do with him as I don't want another male. should I let him settle then release him in a tree or do you think the birds might try to get him again?

What is he, a Jackson's? Hawaii wouldn't want you to release him again but I'm partial to not really taking wild animals out of the life they know unless they can't fend for themselves. Release him in a foresty area and he should be better off, nice and far from roads hopefully!

Well, birds of prey are natural predators for chameleons, so any chameleon living in the wild is at risk of being attacked by birds or any other predator, as well as dehydration and the like. That said, he is most likely wild born, and while captivity may be safer and healthier for him, he might have a very stressful time becoming acclimated to the idea.

I've had to catch and relocated wild animals before, but never one that was the same species as a pet I owned. That would be very difficult for me.

Unfortunatly I think it's the nature of the beast. Birds are their enemy so all chameleons have a chance of being eaten. I would love to live in a place where I could just "find" a chameleon! Maybe once he settles and if he's hidden in enough folage he'll have a better chance. Just my thoughts cuz I live in Calif where chameleons are bought not found :(
Ya gotta love Hawaii!

What is he, a Jackson's? Hawaii wouldn't want you to release him again but I'm partial to not really taking wild animals out of the life they know unless they can't fend for themselves. Release him in a foresty area and he should be better off, nice and far from roads hopefully!

I agree go find a nice forests area and release him/her back to the wild..mahalo :)

Back
Top Bottom