Pooping undigested crickets while sleeping?!

Hi guys, so my chameleons been to the vet and he seems to be getting better but I've now found undigested crickets under where he's been sleeping for the past two nights now.

Quick briefing: He's on day 11 of his meds which is 1mL calcionate 1x a day, 2mL baytril 1x a day and 1ml panacur once every two weeks. Stopped eating for 10 days so I decided to start force feeding him crickets every other day. I've force fed him only 3-4 times and around 7-9 crickets each time. I force fed him Friday and then Sunday morning there were two clobs of undigested crickets crickets under where he was sleeping but I thought he must've done it before he went to bed and I just did not notice. Then I force fed him 6 crickets yesterday and woke up this morning to dried up urate and more undigested crickets laying right under where he was sleeping. His basking temp is at 90F and he drinks a lot. He's had plenty of time to bask and digest the crickets that I fed him and now I'm really unsure of what's causing this. He still will not eat on his own and I've tried to feed him roaches,horns,silks,supers, and crickets. Still has not shed in 11 weeks either. So I'm not sure if he's dropping them in the middle of his sleep or if hes waking up in the middle of the night and dropping them. He's never done anything like this before.

Chameleon Info:
• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
- 9 month old Male Panther Chameleon, in my care for 5months.
• Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
- Moving him from cage to free range, maybe 3 times a day.
• Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
- Feeds on crickets most of the time. I occasionally order silkworms and hornworms. They are gutloaded on fresh fruits and veggies with cricket crack and repashy superload sprinkled on them.
• Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
- Repcal calium with d3 2x a month, Repticalcium without d3 every feeding, Vit A once a month and herptivite once a month.
• Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
- Mistking that goes off 5 times a day for 3minutes each. My cham drinks out of a bottle cap with a leaf glued to it
• Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
- Undigested crickets
• History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
- Had eye problems in early August lasted at least from 7-28th, still has some signs of it

Cage Info:
• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
- Reptibreeze 2x2x4 screen
• Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
- Arcadia 6% T5 24W UVB bulb, 6.5k Growlight and a 60w Basking bulb. Lights are on from 7am-7pm
• Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
- Temp at basking spot is 90F, Ambient temp is 78 , lowest overnight temp is 77F, measure temps with a digital temp probe
• Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
- Humidity level stays around 65% spikes when misters go off. Use the probe for this as well
• Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
- Umbrella as main plant, also have a hanging pothos
• Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
- Cage is located in a corner in our dining room/kitchen. The bottom of his cage is at least 4ft off the ground and almost hits the roof. Air vent is nearby but far away

He might be puking them up and not pooping them out. Have you tried making a cricket slurrpy and dropper feeding him instead of force feeding whole crickets?

They were encrusted in brown matter but their bodies were fully intact and there was dried up urate under them. I tried making the cricket paste but it was pretty damn gross and he definitely took the full crickets better. He ignores anything out of a dropper or syringe I've tried a couple times and he never took to it. I did let him swallow before I put another in his mouth but some he did not chew fully.

I came home and found him with an eye closed then came back 15minutes later to find him with both his eyes closed. I took him out of his cage and he was cold then upon inspection I found a lump under his throat. It feels like an air pocket, not like a fat lump, is this gular edema? Here's a picture :(

rYUE66p.jpg

Yes, it does look edema to me. Don't even ask how to get rid of it! You can find many threads on here about it. I have a chameleon I have had for 19 months that has had it since the day I got him and he had it 1 1/2 yrs prior to that according to the previous owner..

Poor guy :( sorry I don't have much help for you on this one. Only based off what I've seen from other posts on the forum the lump looks similar to other chameleons with a Gular Edema.

He looks to have some awesome colors in him, I sure hope he gets better soon!

Back
Top Bottom