Poop! What should it look like?

andrearamirezo91

Avid Member
Well, I've been reading like crazy all over the forum and it seems like the more I read the more questions I have lol :oops:

Soooo.. I see a lot of people talking about their chameleon's poop and how they know something is wrong with them just by looking at it. So my question is, what does a healthy cham's poop look like? o_O

My chameleon's poop seems huuuge for his size lol. It looks almost "fluffy" as if it was retaining liquid through an outer membrane. The color is somewhat grey-ish with a pink/orange weird looking think in the end. Is this normal?

Well, I've been reading like crazy all over the forum and it seems like the more I read the more questions I have lol :oops:

Soooo.. I see a lot of people talking about their chameleon's poop and how they know something is wrong with them just by looking at it. So my question is, what does a healthy cham's poop look like? o_O

My chameleon's poop seems huuuge for his size lol. It looks almost "fluffy" as if it was retaining liquid through an outer membrane. The color is somewhat grey-ish with a pink/orange weird looking think in the end. Is this normal?

Hello, and welcome, can you post a picture of your chams poop? Does it always look the same, or are you seeing a difference? The pink/orange part does sound good.

Also I am just going to say that it is very good that you are reading lots about chams and asking questions is great. It helps us become better cham keepers. After all, most chameleon parents can verify the fact that chameleon keeping has a very steep learning curve, and research always helps ;)

Thank you guys! I will take a picture tonight when I leave work and post it here. I'm a little concerned now because on the link @Graves923 shared it says orange urates could mean the chameleon is dehydrated.:unsure: It's not as intense as the orange in the pics shared on that thread, but there's definitely an orange tint to it. I'll share a pic of his poop tonight when I'm done with work to see what everyone has to say about it.

@CamrynTheCham22 thank you so much, I really appreciate it :love:. Everyone here has been beyond helpful and supportive and not once has anyone made me feel stupid for asking a question. It's always a pleasant experience to log in and see what everyone here is talking about :)

@Graves923 He poops reeeally big every two days. I have the reptirain set up to mist him automatically every six hours for 60 seconds. Before that I used to do every 3 hours for 60 seconds but the cage would get flooded daily. I'm working on coming up with some type of drainage system that'll help me keep up with the cleaning. I got some good suggestions here on the forum and will be looking at some videos tonight to see what works best.

I took a pic of his poop yesterday but because of the time of day, the poop looked a lot lighter than what it really is and I've been so busy today that I haven't had time, but I'm gonna try to take another pic after work and post it here. :)

I'd would definitely figure out drainage so you can increase misting. This is eliminates lack of misting as a cause of dehydration. No need to go crazy with a drainage system. Simple goes a long way. My cage is sitting on a wire bakers rack with a shallow storage container on the shelf under the cage. I drilled a few holes in the floor of the cage for the water to drip through and into the container underneath. Its just matter of getting creative with your setup and what is available to you.

Also, if he is going regularly every other day or so, it can be normal for his urates to have a slight orange or yellow tint.

A photo will definitely help.

This was the best picture I could get for the moment. My uncle just got diagnosed with cancer and we all work for the family company, so life has been really hectic the past few days. Sorry for the delay.

The colors in the pic arent very accurate, in person it looks more brown. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 4F348B3B-E7B6-444F-B803-B1AF3410AF20.jpeg
    4F348B3B-E7B6-444F-B803-B1AF3410AF20.jpeg
    222.8 KB · Views: 159
This was the best picture I could get for the moment. My uncle just got diagnosed with cancer and we all work for the family company, so life has been really hectic the past few days. Sorry for the delay.

The colors in the pic arent very accurate, in person it looks more brown. What do you guys think?

Sorry to hear that, I hope he goes into remission for you all. You're right, with the lighting angle it is hard to see the urate portion clearly. If you have chance the next time pick it up with a paper towel and then take the pic.

Thanks! I made an appointment for a vet visit next Monday anyways. He looks great, is eating good, and is very active, but since I just got him I figured (and was advised by the wonderful people in this forum) that a vet visit wouldn't hurt. Thank you so much for following up with me :)

dshuld, im going to research the poop thing as well.. but where are the urates? Is that the filmy stuff around the poop or the orangey thing at the end? If the orange tip thing isnt that. What is that??

dshuld, im going to research the poop thing as well.. but where are the urates? Is that the filmy stuff around the poop or the orangey thing at the end? If the orange tip thing isnt that. What is that??

It would be the orangey thing at the end. How orange is yours? It should be at least 50% white according to Petr.

Since i just got him few days ago it was only slightly orange and that poop was after day 1. i havent seen him drink much but mist him a lot have an auto mister going n always make sure the plant leaves have water droplets on them. Im actually cleaning his cage a bit today.. gonna look for more poops just waiting till i get outta work

Hes a shy drinker i think.. still getting used to enviromment

Some of mine are shy drinkers too lol. I know all of us here want to see pure white but according to a recent post by Petr that is over hydration. He said 15 to 50% orange is normal due to their physiology.

Some of mine are shy drinkers too lol. I know all of us here want to see pure white but according to a recent post by Petr that is over hydration. He said 15 to 50% orange is normal due to their physiology.

Phew, okay so as long as its not pure orange.. in the clear

Back
Top Bottom