Poo/ urate question

I came home shocked to see this... I know that this coloring means she is dehydrated so I will mist even more now, but does anything else look concerning? It looks overly orange to me. Sometimes it’s a little bit off white but has never been this drastic & this looks very concerning to me. Any tips other than misting/ making sure she has water more often?

Attachments

• 6B5FC70C-D8B7-4E3C-8850-9F05176A1EA7.jpeg
    6B5FC70C-D8B7-4E3C-8850-9F05176A1EA7.jpeg
    104.8 KB · Views: 67
I came home shocked to see this... I know that this coloring means she is dehydrated so I will mist even more now, but does anything else look concerning? It looks overly orange to me. Sometimes it’s a little bit off white but has never been this drastic & this looks very concerning to me. Any tips other than misting/ making sure she has water more often?
While I agree with all the above recommendations, I would like to add the following. Some high-profile keepers, under the advice of some well-known researchers, have elected to consider urates with 15-50% orange as normal. I take no stance on this issue, and personally, I’d take @kinyonga ’s advice and add a dripper, but it’s just some food for thought.

@Kaizen...do you know if the researchers are saying this about all species or just some?
I don’t know, and my guess is that you know who I am talking about. Personally, I think the kind of ‘natural re-creation’ the relevant view is endorsing, is...well...not entirely well-conceived. But that is a convo for another thread;)

I have personally found that maintaining high humidity at night, a daytime dripper, and pre-lights-on/post-lights-off mistings gives me almost pure white urates in all my species. That’s three veileds, three panthers (both in the greenhouse) and four Jackson’s, kept in the house.

My chameleon’s urate was that orange when he didn’t poop for 2 weeks. He’s back to weekly poops and normal looking urates. When was the last time she pood? @kinyonga and @Kaizen have you noticed orange in the urates if they haven’t gone to the bathroom in a while?

My chameleon’s urate was that orange when he didn’t poop for 2 weeks. He’s back to weekly poops and normal looking urates. When was the last time she pood? @kinyonga and @Kaizen have you noticed orange in the urates if they haven’t gone to the bathroom in a while?
Indeed, I have. One of my female veileds, Rose, held her poop in for a week and a half—unsurprisingly, precisely when I was trying to get a fecal from her:cautious:. After I “dusted”a couple superworms in olive oil (which, by the way, kills the superworms within 30 seconds), she pooped out some very orange urates.And this in a greenhouse where her daytime humidity barely gets below 50%, and her nightime humidity hits 100% (ie, dew point).

Last edited:
I think the important point here is to ascertain whether this is abnormal for this particular Cham. For instance, if the urates have been bone-white for months, and all of a sudden look like this, that is a good indication of some sort of change. However, if this Cham occasionally has urates like this—say, once a month—then perhaps there is nothing to worry about. It’s all down to how tapped-in the op is with the chameleon. Even when I had just one, I freely admit that poops were sometimes lost in foliage, and I was at a loss to comment intelligently on the consistency of every poop for any length of time. So, @Gabriellehernandezxxx , what else, if anything, has changed about your chameleon? Has there ever been another instance of such urates? What, exactly, is your hydration schedule? Perhaps the form might be helpful?

I think the important point here is to ascertain whether this is abnormal for this particular Cham. For instance, if the urates have been bone-white for months, and all of a sudden look like this, that is a good indication of some sort of change. However, if this Cham occasionally has urates like this—say, once a month—then perhaps there is nothing to worry about. It’s all down to how tapped-in the op is with the chameleon. Even when I had just one, I freely admit that poops were sometimes lost in foliage, and I was at a loss to comment intelligently on the consistency of every poop for any length of time. So, @Gabriellehernandezxxx , what else, if anything, has changed about your chameleon? Has there ever been another instance of such urates? What, exactly, is your hydration schedule? Perhaps the form might be helpful?
I can fill out the form later tonight! I should be updating it anyways since I’ve updated to a 2x2x4!

So cool to see someone link to my video :) I've also had some orange urates if it's been awhile since a poop. I'd start to be concerned if a second poop also looked like this.

I also made a video on how to make your own homemade dripper you might find helpful:

Now that I think about it, I should probably include my video on how to water your chameleon that is full of various hydration tips starting at 5:58. (sorry for the video spam)

So cool to see someone link to my video :) I've also had some orange urates if it's been awhile since a poop. I'd start to be concerned if a second poop also looked like this.

I also made a video on how to make your own homemade dripper you might find helpful:

Now that I think about it, I should probably include my video on how to water your chameleon that is full of various hydration tips starting at 5:58. (sorry for the video spam)

This is helpful thank you!! I actually bought the mistking & have it but haven’t put it to use because I can’t figure out how to set it up right. I’m not super good with that kind of stuff! Do you happen to know a good video on how to set up the starter mistking kit??

Back
Top Bottom