Pondering New Addition

kappajpenick

Hi there,

Though I am a new member and understand I could probably just read around the forums and find my answer, I figured I would at least try posting and see what reaction I get. :)

My current occupation lead me to discover the amazing reptile this site represents and have tried reading anything under the sun about them and their natural habitat. So far a decent amount of books have helped.

What I interested in most importantly is the information most books don't tell you. Like....

How are their personalities? I understand Chameleons can typically either like or dislike being held depending on their relation with their owner.

For someone who was never had a reptile before, are they truely the best pet to start off with?

I would eventually like to breed the chameleon of my choice, not for any real reason other then to experience it and further my knowledge.

Well, I'm curious. Is there any other information books don't tell you about these amazing creatures that I should know about?

I never had a reptile before, and now am on my 2nd one after over a year. They definitely are more finicky and require greater attention/knowledge to thrive, however I dont think its unmanageable once you know what youre doing.

If you purchase an automatic mister and the basic of having your lights on timers, everything else just comes down to the basics. Feeding, supplementing (including taking care of the feeders), and monitoring. The rest is just enjoyment

Now I have read up that it is best to have a mesh enclosure over a glass one. Though I am unsure the age of the chameleon I would like to invest in, my only option localy is to purchase a glass enclosure that has a mesh top and front that opens. Would this be okay until I have the funds to purchase a larger cage?

Also I was planning on investing in a fogger/mist system and then have the lights on a timer with it as well.

Thankfully I have read a large portion of the blogs most of the senior members have posted and have become more knowledgable about them. Especially gutloading your feeders.

Also, is there anyone someone could tell me how you know the age of a chameleon? The one I am interested in is at my work and unfortunately the vendor doesn't list any information on how young or old they are.

Welcome to the forums!

Just out of curiosity what is your occupation (since you said it lead to your interest in chameleons)? As far as it being your first reptile, while chameleons are far from a "starter pet", I would advise researching as much as possible (this site is a great resource), then decide if you will be able and willing to provide the needs of the species your interested in, if so I see no reason why you wouldn't do fine even with no previous reptile experience.

I would suggest going with captive bred from a reputable breeder/seller.

Welcome to the forums!

Just out of curiosity what is your occupation (since you said it lead to your interest in chameleons)? As far as it being your first reptile, while chameleons are far from a "starter pet", I would advise researching as much as possible (this site is a great resource), then decide if you will be able and willing to provide the needs of the species your interested in, if so I see no reason why you wouldn't do fine even with no previous reptile experience.

I would suggest going with captive bred from a reputable breeder/seller.

I currently work at PetSmart. Not sure if most states have them but I'm sure everyone has heard of it. Though we do get our chameleons and most reptiles from one vendor, the employees and myself are quite knowledgble and do our best to ensure the best for the animal and know what to look out for as far as illnesses go.

I am very interested in having a chameleon and feel that I can take on the challenge. :) This site has indeed opened my eyes to what this reptile needs to ensure a life filled with happiness.

Also, I do understand that I should get my chameleon from a reputable breeder.. but to be honest, I don't know of any.

Back
Top Bottom