Pomona Reptile Show

See--- priceless info.
More than See-priceless info. History of the hobby. I do not talk much about the keepers circles I and my brother were a part of and keep. That experience is something you cannot put a price tag on.

Sounds as though you have got reptile/chameleon history too.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
lol--- Well, I have spoken to the guy that started the invasive issue with Jackson's in Hawaii (K. Pet-shop 1988-time frame) The owner (RIP) Sticky Tongue Farms and looked at all the Panther, Quad and a few other species on his property- to include his breeding program for bearded dragons. I have been mistaken for Jay from The Zoo in California (by elementary students) the list goes on but-- that is how fortunate I have been --right place right time. lol Just saw Jay yesterday at the Show but have never met him personally- just visited his Business a few times and asked questions. Pic from yesterday ---plus other internet people- don't remember their names but have seen them on youtube.
I am so bold that in the 90's I call the Zoo -Memphis Herp department and made trades-- I gave them C. Fuelleborni babies and he gave me a container of flightless fruit flies. (y) He let me handle their Parsons on display. Loved it!!!!
Some of this isn't so good because I have reported mis-labels to San Diego Zoo, Aquarium of the Pacific and a few others. Just want the right info taught- so open for new learning. More now than before.

Darn--going down memory lane- I might start a new thread so some of us can share memories---getting to that point in age. (y)

Attachments

• PXL_20220122_194814108.jpg
    PXL_20220122_194814108.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 78
  • PXL_20220122_194814108 (2).jpg
    PXL_20220122_194814108 (2).jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
lol--- Well, I have spoken to the guy that started the invasive issue with Jackson's in Hawaii (K. Pet-shop 1988-time frame) The owner (RIP) Sticky Tongue Farms and looked at all the Panther, Quad and a few other species on his property- to include his breeding program for bearded dragons. I have been mistaken for Jay from The Zoo in California (by elementary students) the list goes on but-- that is how fortunate I have been --right place right time. lol Just saw Jay yesterday at the Show but have never met him personally- just visited his Business a few times and asked questions. Pic from yesterday ---plus other internet people- don't remember their names but have seen them on youtube.
I am so bold that in the 90's I call the Zoo -Memphis Herp department and made trades-- I gave them C. Fuelleborni babies and he gave me a container of flightless fruit flies. (y) He let me handle their Parsons on display. Loved it!!!!
Some of this isn't so good because I have reported mis-labels to San Diego Zoo, Aquarium of the Pacific and a few others. Just want the right info taught- so open for new learning. More now than before.

Darn--going down memory lane- I might start a new thread so some of us can share memories---getting to that point in age. (y)
Yeah that was Steve and Linda Davidson from Sticky Tongue Chameleon Farms. I have done business with them going back to the early 1990's. I have got a copy of there 1990's Chameleon Video with the 1980's jazz music. RIP Steve. Linda is alive and last I have heard is doing chameleons. I buy their Sticky Tongue Mineral now and then.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Glad you made it.. I almost picked up an egg and box of crickets. But Bassett had them for 15 buck a thousand. Did ya take pics? Please share if you did. Thanks!
You probably spotted this from Chameleon101--They were so busy could not get close enough (y) for other photos..

Attachments

• PXL_20220122_194649042.jpg
    PXL_20220122_194649042.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 79
I am so bold that in the 90's I call the Zoo -Memphis Herp department and made trades-- I gave them C. Fuelleborni babies and he gave me a container of flightless fruit flies.
:eek: Might've been the right thing to do, but unless you got the world's biggest container of flightless fruit flies, I'd say they got the better end of that deal! :LOL:

Just want the right info taught-
Me too, but I get called a pedant for that! :confused:

:eek: Might've been the right thing to do, but unless you got the world's biggest container of flightless fruit flies, I'd say they got the better end of that deal! :LOL:
Thinking back-- WHAT WAS I DOING?

But that opened the doors to ask questions to the right people. Now going to Zoos or Aquariums I always ask to see what they have behind the scenes. Some take me in and some say "against company policy". I prep for the last one so never disappointed. (y) Display animals are awesome, but the other stuff is even more impressive. I had my T-shirt on--- So many ask for pictures. I said, No head shots. ha ha didn't want to break their camera, ya know. I have shared this before--present from grand kids. :unsure: Maybe I do have a problem. :cool: (y)

Attachments

• PXL_20210724_161820705.jpg
    PXL_20210724_161820705.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 64
Thinking back-- WHAT WAS I DOING?
Are you asking ME Heck if I know! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

But that opened the doors to ask questions to the right people. Now going to Zoos or Aquariums I always ask to see what they have behind the scenes. Some take me in and some say "against company policy". I prep for the last one so never disappointed. (y) Display animals are awesome, but the other stuff is even more impressive. I had my T-shirt on--- So many ask for pictures. I said, No head shots. ha ha didn't want to break their camera, ya know. I have shared this before--present from grand kids. :unsure: Maybe I do have a problem. :cool: (y)

I like the shirt. ;)

My camera did not do any of the animals justice.
It was ? Maybe a Panter person can help. He had purple bars.

Did ya see the price? 2,000.
I saw that. I was like HOLY COW 2000. D that! Lol how much where the bearded? Do you remember. ¿

Beardies were 100 to 1000 depending on morph. The shows are fun to see all the stuff but a little pricy. My plan was to sit in on all the educational shows and listen to guest speakers, but just didn't work out. Maybe next time.. My last bearded was a silkie, which was way too much to deal with his skin (lotions and moisture stuff). It was unique but not my cup of tea, so gave him to a breeder out in Oceanside Ca.
Don't see the silkies around that much. :unsure:

Not related but had to share..
Rascal is finally coming out- Have not seen him for a few months, the weather is oddly warm here. This was his first hibernation. I will set up a thread "Rascal buddy". (y)

Attachments

• PXL_20220124_002214810.jpg
    PXL_20220124_002214810.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 65
  • PXL_20220124_002347925.jpg
    PXL_20220124_002347925.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 62
  • PXL_20220124_002400819.jpg
    PXL_20220124_002400819.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 64
  • PXL_20220124_002446264.jpg
    PXL_20220124_002446264.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 63
I saw that. I was like HOLY COW 2000. D that! Lol how much where the bearded? Do you remember. ¿
Beardies were 100 to 1000 depending on morph.
When I got Ol' Stinkeye at a reptile show a couple years back, I wanted a BD with NO morphs—as close as I could get to wild-looking.

No such thing anymore outside of Oz, and exports are illegal there, so everything in the pet trade since the '60s is one or more morphs.

I had vetted breeders ahead of time, and wandering around the show, I stopped back at the breeder we'd chosen and asked for price. Each time (within about 2 hrs) the price went down... $65... $60... then $50.
I really wasn't trying to dicker, though I suppose it seemed like I was; wandering around the show and getting prices from different vendors, I just kept forgetting so had to ask again. We were new to this kind of show, and... things got a little overwhelming.

I guess my point is, prices aren't cast in stone. I can't blame breeders for trying to get what they can—business is business. But they've got to make their nut too.

Neat. Trioceros montium has not been exported from Cameroon for a while now. I was surprised to have a look at that picture listed as one at this Pamona Show.

Dean Missimer or Sauce Gandhi had a table and was selling grasshoppers at the show as well?

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
Hey yeah I was vending at the grasshopper booth with Khai and our gfs, but I spent a lot of time buying stuff (got a cham :)) and could not make day 2 so may have missed anyone there. Will be at another show in the future sometime! I hatched out all those lubbers and the Schistocerca shoshones that were at the booth, but I left them all in SoCal with Khai, so if anyone wants them you'll have to get them from him if there's any left. Although, I'll have more soon enough. Thanks to everyone who stopped by!

Oh cool! I didn't purchase any but did talk about how insects are becoming a big thing as a human food source. I spoke to Kahl (I think) and the gf about the human food industry and the market for grasshoppers. The lubbers were awesome and a little creepy (just what I like). I have been to Florida and the lubbers there were big and colorful too. Thanks for your work. (y)
Can you share if all lubbers are toxic? I can search but like to get info from the experts. :) (y)
What kind of Chameleon did you get?

Plains Lubbers (Brachytola magna) are non-toxic. Most other lubbers are poisonous to some degree. Eastern Lubbers (what we had) are toxic except right after their molt (and hatching), because the compounds are stored in the exoskeleton and need to be replenished through eating and then sequestration.

I got this guy :)

20220205_142221.jpg

Hey yeah I was vending at the grasshopper booth with Khai and our gfs, but I spent a lot of time buying stuff (got a cham :)) and could not make day 2 so may have missed anyone there. Will be at another show in the future sometime! I hatched out all those lubbers and the Schistocerca shoshones that were at the booth, but I left them all in SoCal with Khai, so if anyone wants them you'll have to get them from him if there's any left. Although, I'll have more soon enough. Thanks to everyone who stopped by!
Cool! Did you get USDA permits to ship your Schistocerca in state and across state lines? Or are you selling these under the table? Last time I talked to you you had not gotten permits yet.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Thanks for the info-- I will buy 50. haahaa I always thought ALL lubbers were toxic (but then there are so many kinds of grasshoppers and others I could not tell the difference) or I would have purchased some at the show. Darn!

WOW! he is a handsome fella.. Congrats!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom