Please tell me signs of shedding?

Michael10

Panther chameleon about 3-4 months? Do they stop eating? Do they do anything weird with eyes? Does it come off in one piece like a snake? What can I look for? Thanks! :)

pale skin, sometimes less of an apetite or no appetite at all, sometimes looks run down.

theyre skin doesnt come off in one piece, but some chameleons have done hudge chunks of shedding at once. they often shoot their tongue at the skin to rip it off, and will then eat it also. it usually takes a day or two for younger chameleons to complete a shed. older chameleons will often do partial sheds (different body parts at different times) and could last from a few days to a week, sometimes even two weeks.

you may also help them shed by spraying warm water gently over them once or twice a day. i find this works better then commercial shed aids because you can get the water in their eyes.
dont ever try pulling the shed skin off, only certain situations if the shed is hanging there and a larger size. avoid aiding the eyes, spikes and finger nails

I don't have a Panther but I have a Veiled but mine starts to have like little spots of dry skin and then all of a sudden its like she exploded and flakes are every where. She is still kind of young and doing a full body shed but I have heard of others that just shed pieces at a time ... and yes my little one stops eating some what just before she sheds.

Your cham will look wrinkly & a bit drier than normal. When its about to shed you will see blister like patches & the skin will slowly start to lift of in larger sections. Younger chams have full body sheds as where once they get passed a year, they will start shedding in sections.

Everyone else has given you great descriptions, so I'm just going to supplement with a couple photos :D They usually just peel in pieces.

cobaltday1.jpg
cerberus1yearoldsheddin.jpg

Is it okay to raise humidity in the cage by placing it in the bathroom? The humidity seems to be low even though I mist at least 2x per day and 2 live plants. Placing the whole set up in the bathroom also allows us to close the door at night and it will be pitch dark instead of night lights around the house. Thanks for the photos!

Is it okay to raise humidity in the cage by placing it in the bathroom? The humidity seems to be low even though I mist at least 2x per day and 2 live plants. Placing the whole set up in the bathroom also allows us to close the door at night and it will be pitch dark instead of night lights around the house. Thanks for the photos!

get a cool mist room humidifier instead. now you can keep the cage in the same spot and not move it all the time.

Harry

i was just about to ask this question. my female stopped eating yesterday and has started to shed. so it is typicall that there appetite subsides. also she seems to be really restless and wondering the tank a lot and rubbing up against the fake plants. i take it this is normal as well and she is just trying to rub that itchy skin off.

i was just about to ask this question. my female stopped eating yesterday and has started to shed. so it is typicall that there appetite subsides. also she seems to be really restless and wondering the tank a lot and rubbing up against the fake plants. i take it this is normal as well and she is just trying to rub that itchy skin off.

yes it is normal and they will rub on anything to get the skin off!

my chameleon usually puffs up and contorts (stretches) a couple of days before she sheds. She doesnt lose any appetite at all though lol shes still a piggy though the process. There will be some white spots that appear on her skin then she will shed soon after. I mist the cage a little more to increase the humidity to aid in the shedding

Kanjis habbits.

I have a 5month old veiled she is about to shed and has stopped eating for 3days now it seems to be usual for her tho. I use a humidifire for her tank so no need to mist her directly as she hates it.

how often can they shed?

My little man 5m panther,, seems really grumpy and out of sorts, hes normaly super chilled out but has been opening his mouth and puffing up, for no apparent reason, dosent seem to know what he wants? hes been eating but not much now for four days thought it might be time for a shed and today he's starting to show tiny silvery/gray looking spots. Ive only had him a couple of months and was wondering how often they can shed it was nearly 5 weeks from when we got him untill his first shed didnt notes a change in mood or appetite, but its only about 20 days since he last shed, could he be shedding again or is it two soon, he's growing on average about 1cm in lenth a week. Many thanks Josie

my chameleon usually puffs up and contorts (stretches) a couple of days before she sheds. She doesnt lose any appetite at all though lol shes still a piggy though the process. There will be some white spots that appear on her skin then she will shed soon after. I mist the cage a little more to increase the humidity to aid in the shedding
Yes ,they act quite annoyed.
Bet we would be annoyed too if all our skin was flaking off at once.

My little man 5m panther,, seems really grumpy and out of sorts, hes normaly super chilled out but has been opening his mouth and puffing up, for no apparent reason, dosent seem to know what he wants? hes been eating but not much now for four days thought it might be time for a shed and today he's starting to show tiny silvery/gray looking spots. Ive only had him a couple of months and was wondering how often they can shed it was nearly 5 weeks from when we got him untill his first shed didnt notes a change in mood or appetite, but its only about 20 days since he last shed, could he be shedding again or is it two soon, he's growing on average about 1cm in lenth a week. Many thanks Josie

the young ones can shed quite often. it slows down when they reach a year old. My panther cham shed on day10 with us, and then again on day 36.

the young ones can shed quite often. it slows down when they reach a year old. My panther cham shed on day10 with us, and then again on day 36.
Thank you you just answered my question. I have a 17 day old baby panther and he has all the symptoms but he turns black a lot he is very grouchy but is still eating.

Back
Top Bottom