please please please help

R0lyaT390

So I posted another thread recently about how I had just gotten a new chameleon (sunday) and that he hadn't eaten and the response was to let him acclimate for a few days before starting to worry, however I notice that he was also sleeping during the day (which my research showed could be a sign of illness) so I brought him into the vet's office yesterday. He hadn't pooped but as he is wild caught the vet said it is almost a sure bet that he has some kind of parasite and decided to give him panacur and for me to administer a small dose of flagyl once a day for the next 10 days as well as force feeding him pedialyte 2-3 times a day so that he does not get dehydrated (he has ignored water as well)... he took the pedialyte fine yesterday and this morning... I watched this last dose go down his throat, only to see him hang by his back feet and shake his head as he let it stream back out of his mouth onto the floor...

What is this? Should I bring him back in to the vet? I'm very worried

Please help!!!!

I am soo sorry. I do not trust wild caught chameleons. Is it an adult and what type? If I were u I would take it back to vet (depending on price).

yes! it sounds like your chameleon needs a vet asap! im sorry to hear that! thats unfortunately one of the problems with many wild caught animals as you have probably read already. i really hope he gets better and good luck!:( you can also fill this out maybe we can help.
Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Everything should be done with EXTRA patience. A sick chameleon can aspirate very easily when forcing any liquids. Literally a drop at a time. If he is shaking his head to relieve himself of the fluid you gave. Again go slow and place him on a towel for 10-15 minutes afterwards.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - male ambanja panther, age unknown
Handling - only to force feed him pedialyte and medicate
Feeding - gut loaded crickets with fruits and veggies, just got in silk worms eating the food provided by silkwormshop, i have put in two crickets a day since sunday so that i could regulate whether or not he has been eating them... he has not. I take them out before he goes to bed
Supplements - dusting crickets with fluker's calcium + D3
Watering - habba mister + misting twice a day
Fecal Description - has not pooped... urate is a chalky whitish-orange... he is dehydrated
History - chameleon is wild caught and most likely has parasites but was given panacur yesteday

Cage Info:
Cage Type - full screen 16" x 16" x 30"
Lighting - 2 100 watt bulbs, one that puts out UVB and one for basking (i dont have the boxes anymore, so I am not sure of the brand) His cage is next to a window (not much heat coming through as the roof puts it under shade but it lets light in, so his lights stay on while the sun is out and are turned off when it goes down
Temperature - mid 90s in the basking spot, low 80s everywhere else... low 70s during the night
Humidity - not quite sure... I mist twice a day and have a habba mist that works more like a dripper
Plants - fake plants
Placement - not near any vents or high traffic areas, in my room around 3 feet off the floor... he also has a free range climbing tree that I built for him... I am keeping him in the cage until he gets healthy and acclimated
Location - Miami, FL

Current Problem - Sleeping during the day, not eating or drinking given panacur by the vet yesterday and I am dosing him once a day for the next 10 with flagyl and instructed to force him to drink pedialyte... all of a sudden he is throwing up the pedialyte after being forced

a few pics so you can see how beautiful this little guy is, and his cage setup...

Attachments

• IMG_0562.jpg
    IMG_0562.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0574.jpg
    IMG_0574.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_0581.jpg
    IMG_0581.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 144
He is very beautiful. I would put a live plant or two in there as well so he has plenty of hiding/climbing places. Hope he gets better quickly.

his 5 ft free range tree I built... there is a floor lamp next to it that ends right above, with a UVB bulb inside that I turn on when he goes on it...

Attachments

• IMG_0511.jpg
    IMG_0511.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 178
Nice Cham

WOW! He is gorgeous.. after the description i expected to see a cham in much worse shape. Being wild caught you are dealing with the unknown. I would try adding some live plants, removing the mulch on the bottom and varying his diet a bit. If affordable another vet visit would not hurt but i would hope you could bring a fecal sample along with you for a proper examination. He does not appear to be dehydrated based on the pics but i can not be sure on that. I have two chams and i watch my nosy be (Kobalt) drink often, and almost never see my ambilobe (Skittles) take a sip of water. I also run a habba mist which i have on for 30 seconds every three hours. I wish you luck and hopefully he gets better because you have a beauty.

Thanks Skittles!! He (Quilligan) is not in too bad of shape, but he literally has not eaten or drank in 5 days and I don't want to let it get to the point where there is no hope... my last cham, my beloved nosy be (Lalashoop), passed at the vets office about a month ago... went to sleep fine, eating and drinking like a champ leading up to it, and woke up in the morning barely able to grip the branch, nearly white, and couldn't open his eyes... the whole thing broke my heart and I would really like to avoid another catastrophe as the new little guy is really really gorgeous and as sweet as can be, so it hurts me to see him like this

I think I'll take him back to the vet tomorrow and leave him with them if I have to until they get him stabilized and make sure he's rid of any parasites...

Opinions? Anyone else?

Dang he is going to love that. How did you set up the UVB? did you hang it?

UPDATED PIC W/ LAMP
I really hope so because it sure was a pain in the butt to build, ended up looking pretty cool though :)
Can't hang the UVB so I did the best I could with this floor lamp with the UVB bulb in it and faced it downwards on the tree...

Attachments

• IMG_0590.jpg
    IMG_0590.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 168
Bad morning :'(

So he didnt make it... :(

I woke up this morning and he had lost his grip on the mesh, eyes extremely sunken in and dehydrated, tried to give him some water through the syringe (as he was throwing up pedialyte) and it came out of his nose and closed eyelids... skipped school and ran him over to the vet, he was incubated and forced liquids and tube fed, just received the call he didn't make it. Vet said that he wasn't right from the moment I brought him in (two days after I got him, and that it was the fault of the dealer and I should call him to ask for a refund) For any of you located in Florida, DO NOT purchase from South Central Herpetological...

I'm planning on buying a baby captive bred tonight (another panther or maybe even a Carpet (I love those little guys)) Which sites do you guys recommend purchasing from most? Thanks!!

Everything should be done with EXTRA patience. A sick chameleon can aspirate very easily when forcing any liquids. Literally a drop at a time. If he is shaking his head to relieve himself of the fluid you gave. Again go slow and place him on a towel for 10-15 minutes afterwards.

I agree with this advice

Also, not eating for five days after a move is not whatsoever worrying for an adult animal that is otherwise healthy. He may be drinking when you are not watching. They can actually go for a week without water if needs be (though I recommend a dripper runs daily - or at least your mister should probably run more often and for longer sessions).
Was a fecal float done to confirm parasites / worms? I would not be adding huge stress of forcing liquids without a true reason

edit: sorry, just read the last of the thread and realized you lost him. very sorry for the loss.

Last edited:
Sorry he didn't make it!:(
You did everything you could taking him to the vet. It was just too late unfortunately. Pity the person that sold him to you didn't mention anything about his health..

Thanks robyrango, especially considering i spent $400 + vet bills and still had him for less than 6 days... poor guy :(

Back
Top Bottom