Please help!!!

ydktdborg

Ive just come home and my cham is at the bottom of the tank just sitting there. Ive got him out and he doesnt have that much power in his right back leg! he has normal power in the rest of him. He's able to grab with that leg but he doesnt balance well. Also i noticed that it looks like he was unable to go toilet properly, im wondering if he's constipated! He's just been sick as well!

Can anyone tell me if they've heard of this, im trying to get a vet asap!

its late at night here and its becoming impossible to find one coz theres a lack of cham vets around! Is there anything that i can do and would that be the reason of his problem in the leg?!?

You can try a warm bath and gently massaging around his tail base and vent to see if you can encourage him to finish his poop, but do be gentle.

-Brad

thanks i'll do that now. how deep should i do the bath for him?!? So is the lack of strenght and shacking in his leg to do with being constipated?!?

It can be.
It's possible that the excrement is too large for him to pass and is pressing on a nerve.
What you would be trying to do with the soak and massage is to soften the fecal matter so he can pass it successfully.
The bath needn't be any deeper than what's required to submerge his posterior.
The water should be the temp you would enjoy in a bath or shower.

-Brad

ok im doing it now, he seems comfortable in the bath. I'll be careful when massaging him. What are the possible consequences of this, could he die if not treated in time?!?

If the cause is in fact him having trouble passing a bowel movement, you have some time. I think the bath and massage may work.
Keep us posted.

-Brad

Our scooter had thsi issue. It was a severe case of impaction. He did not poop for what we noticed about a week and half or 2 weeks straight. He ended uplosing all mobility in his back legs and tail. We eneded up getting him to poop by feeding him once a day 1cc of mineral oil at night and that did the trick to break up the poop and let him go. Within 2 days he was almost 100% better and now he is just fine.

We went to the vet when we noticed he was inpacted and also when he finally pooped. HE ended up having a parasite called coccidia. It is a pretty normal parasite that chams and dogs and cats get that a normal parasite vaccine will not get rid of. You have to get a special kind to kil it off. What the coccidia does (from what i understand) is it causes his digestive tract to quit working and this causes impactions and eventually death.

Bring a sample of his most recent poop with you and go to the vet. Without the poop the vet cant know for sure if he has any kind of parsite. IN our case, he would still be sick without it, maybe dead.

thankfully though he is regaining his weight and littering his poop all over our cage. we r sooooo happy! :p

-Justin

Our scooter had thsi issue. It was a severe case of impaction. He did not poop for what we noticed about a week and half or 2 weeks straight. He ended uplosing all mobility in his back legs and tail. We eneded up getting him to poop by feeding him once a day 1cc of mineral oil at night and that did the trick to break up the poop and let him go. Within 2 days he was almost 100% better and now he is just fine.

We went to the vet when we noticed he was inpacted and also when he finally pooped. HE ended up having a parasite called coccidia. It is a pretty normal parasite that chams and dogs and cats get that a normal parasite vaccine will not get rid of. You have to get a special kind to kil it off. What the coccidia does (from what i understand) is it causes his digestive tract to quit working and this causes impactions and eventually death.

Bring a sample of his most recent poop with you and go to the vet. Without the poop the vet cant know for sure if he has any kind of parsite. IN our case, he would still be sick without it, maybe dead.

thankfully though he is regaining his weight and littering his poop all over our cage. we r sooooo happy! :p

-Justin

i was just thinking about coccodia the other week and how you can be infected and not really know why your animals are you are sick.i believe this parasite is alot more common then people believe i also believe that many people have coccidia and nobody ever tells them and just gives you medicine to kill it for the time being until it returns.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Ive given him a long bath and ive been massaging him. Ive noticed that his stomach is really bloated so a massaged that as well. He's not changed much, he's become a bit weaker but that mite be coz its way past his bed time! A bit of runny poop came out but not much!
Roughly how long would i expect to see any kind of results from doing this if i get any results?!?

christyo2o2 i just finished reading the thread about your scooter and im so glad that he got better. I lost a cham a while back and it was very painful! Its given me a bit of hope that scooter recovered, i just hope that i can get my cham better!

Ive found a vet now that can see him! I'll be taking him within the hour, i'll tell you all how it goes.

Thanks for everyones help!:)

well ive been to the vet and he's a bit worried about him. He agrees with everything we've said and he gave him an enema and i think it was antibiotics or paraphin as well! He's told me to give him a mix of water and glucoses twice a day!

Is there anything else that i can give him?!? Im gona keep on giving him baths as well!

I think alot of people on here have had good luck with mineral oil. I haven't had one get stopped up enough to resort to this, but it can only help. Good luck and keep us posted.
david

I think alot of people on here have had good luck with mineral oil. I haven't had one get stopped up enough to resort to this, but it can only help. Good luck and keep us posted.
david

where can you get mineral oil that is for your chameleon?

I don't think there is a special mineral oil for chameleons.
Personally...I would use cod-liver oil and in very tiny amounts: one or two drops mixed into the liquid you are giving him, and I would only do this once or twice.
I will say mineral oil would probably be better if you had to administer it several times as too much cod-liver oil could subject him to hypervitaminosis.
Do be aware that dosing chameleons with any kind of oil can cause them to vomit. If you give them too much or it's not diluted into another liquid or applied to a feeder.
I believe Jim F. has had success swabbing the mouth with oil on a Q-tip, but again, very small amount!
a drop or two is a sufficient amount for such a small animal.

By parafin did you perhaps mean panacur? I'm trying to figure out why the vet would give your cham wax:)
Hopefully he will be on his way to a full recovery soon.

-Brad

NO special mineral oil. Just go to any drug store. It's in most regular grocery stores also. It's just a pure clear oil and is used for many things. Check in the laxative section.The bottle usually states that it's an intestinal lubricant. It just coats the inside and helps things pass through. Sometimes you will see it come out even if it hasn't cleared the blockage yet, so don't freak out if you see him pass some oily stuff. I'm not sure of the dosage though. Run a search on these forums for mineral oil. I know I've seen the dosage that people have used. Good luck and keep us posted. David

I gave my cham 1cc of oil with 2cc's of water, it kept him hydrated and broke up the poop. Try not to force him to eat too much if he is impacted it could make the impaction worse.

Back
Top Bottom