Please help

Stephen86

I bought my son a male veiled chameleon for his 4th birthday as he’s chameleon mad. I’ve had him for a few days now and he’s about 3 months old. My problem is when I go to get him from his vivarium he runs away and goes to bite me. Now I worried If I false him to be handled he may become really aggressive as I’ve read you should let them come to you. He has come down to the glass once and when I opened the door he just climbed out onto my hand. But only the once. What is the best way to get a young veiled get used to being handled?

I bought my son a male veiled chameleon for his 4th birthday as he’s chameleon mad. I’ve had him for a few days now and he’s about 3 months old. My problem is when I go to get him from his vivarium he runs away and goes to bite me. Now I worried If I false him to be handled he may become really aggressive as I’ve read you should let them come to you. He has come down to the glass once and when I opened the door he just climbed out onto my hand. But only the once. What is the best way to get a young veiled get used to being handled?
He's probably stressed right now, I wouldn't handle him. Pictures please?

I would let him settle in at least a couple of weeks before trying to handle him. He should want to come to you and not you going in to grab him. It takes time for them to trust you. He has no idea what you are going to do do him right now. It can take many months for them to gain your trust. Some just never tolerate handling. They are really not that type of animal. On another note, can we see your set up and do you have the correct uvb lighting.? If you got him from a pet store, they May have sold you the wrong equipment. It happens all too often

He just needs time . You only had him for a very short time. I have a Panther and I waited almost 3 months before I held mine. Honestly I was a little intimidated/afraid he would bite me.lOL boy was I wrong. Now he wants out of his cage a lot and he has a nice setup. He’s very spoiled. He has his own Hibiscus tree in the house and that’s his to go to place when he out.

Some chameleons are more aggressive than others. Every chameleon has its own personality but give it more time to adjust.

85% of chameleons are hands off pets. They are like fish, to be looked at and not touched. Chamelons can become acclimated and more docile towards humans, with consistency and patience, but it’s certainly not a gaurentee that you will have an animal you can handle. Veiled chameleons are often not very friendly. There are exceptions and there are individuals that are more personable, but I would say it is not the norm. You can search the threads for “taming” or “how to tame my Chameleon” and you will find suggestions for gaining their trust and improving things, but I’d keep my expectations low.

I also agree that the Chameleon needs to get settled and used to its new environment. Wait until there is some established routine and the chamelons is eating regularly, before you start initiating any handling.

I have had my guy 3 years. Has be mean from day one, but I still love he.
Be careful with the 4 years old , when they get larger bites can hurt.

Good Luck

Thanks for all the comments it’s been very helpful. I bought him from a breeder in London and I’m sure I’ve got the right uvb bulb and basking lamp. He’s in a smaller vivarium at the moment as the breeder told me he would struggle to find food in a larger one. I will be upgrading to a much larger one once he’s big enough.

I don’t really like handling mine unless she’s climbing on her cage - very rarely happens, but I think they all do that from time to time.

Priority should be that it’s active, eating and drinking. As they say, chams are really showpiece pets, as opposed to others that tolerate/prefer handling. I’d bet even the most tame cham only looks to be handled if it’s become used to being transferred to another place - like a big (safe) potted plant/tree, or is only used to cup feeding.

Back
Top Bottom