Please help

Cham_boomerang

I've been looking into getting a Cham! But I want to learn about them wear to get them the best breeders and everything about them!! Please tell me everything!! Thx!!

Ophelia has certainly been very forgiving of my mistakes and learning curves! I love veileds - eventhough there are chams that are more colorful or more rare or more interesting. She fits me, I guess. Simple. Choose one that fits your abilities and the time/money you have to put towards keeping it.

So can you tell me what you feed yours when it's a baby Cham ? And what size I guess cage is what you call them ? When there a baby

No I haven't. But thank you for the link And do you think it's a bad idea for me to get it as a baby Cham ?

No, I don't think it's a bad idea - don't get me wrong... it's just my own personal worry :) As long as you know how to take care of them and learn all you can about the type of cham you want (best case is that you have it all set up for them before you get them) - I'm sure you will be great!

That's so exciting. If you are looking to get a baby veiled chameleon. I should be able to help. If you decide that you want a baby, I highly recommend purchasing an exoterra 18x18x24 inch terrarium just because they are glass and easily hold in humidity and heat( which is very important for veilds, and screen cages are not the best at holding it all in). But the only thing is that this size cage isn't big enough for it's entire life and will need to move into a 2 foot by 2 foot by 4 foot cage. If this all seems a little too pricey, just get the 2x2x4 foot cage. Keeping humidity in the tank is more important for babies than older chams, but it's ok if you get a screen cage. You will also need to get a lot of branches vines and plants for your veiled Cham to climb on. They love to hide in the plants And live plants are recommended just cuz they make it very humid, but fake plants are just fine. You also HAVE to have a good UVB light or else the chameleons bones will be very weak and your lizard could get a terrible disease called metabolic bone disease. I personally recommend getting a T5 UVB light just because they last longer than the others. Your basking spot should be about 95 degrees Fahrenheit. Like I keep mentioning, humidity and water are very important, so spraying a lot of water on them in the morning and evening will be good for water. Strangely, chameleons don't normally drink water from water bowls, so you shouldn't need one of those. For feeding, if you have a very little baby chameleon, you should get flightless fruit flys and small crickets. For bigger chameleons, feed them big crickets and dubia roaches. Dubia roaches are super healthy and are not bad evil roaches (like cock roaches) that destroy your house. You can also feed meal worms, super worms, was works and many other things, but these are the basics. One note on feeding is that you need to dust the bugs in calcium powder or else your chameleon will get metabolic bone disease. This should be a pretty good care sheet for veiled chameleons. Sorry for how long it is, there is a ton to keeping chameleons, so here it is. I have been keeping chameleons for 4 years now, so I hope this helps. And also, never ever get more than one veiled chameleon in one cage. Even if the person who sells you the chameleon tells you that they need a friend, chameleons are pretty anti social and will fight to the death. Again, I really hope this helps!

Also, if you have some extra time, check out The Chameleon Breeder Podcast. They have a ton of great information on keeping all types of chameleons. Hope this helps!

IMHO it's not good for a thirteen year old to start off with a baby chameleon especially when they have had a veiled chameleon already and lost it. you didn't answer the questions asked here on the forum so we could figure out what was wrong with it and maybe save it. Also you now want us to tell you everything about chameleons. I really don't think you are ready to have one at all because you should be responsible enough that you make the effort to learn on your own. There is lots of good information on here...you could start with that. So why not learn all you can on here and then ask us about things you don't know or don't understand before you get another one?

You said that he needs to learn about chameleons on his own. This is his choice of learning about them. Asking people who have experience with them. Also, how do you know he is 13 and has "already lost a chameleon"? He never said this as far as I have seen.
IMHO it's not good for a thirteen year old to start off with a baby chameleon especially when they have had a veiled chameleon already and lost it. you didn't answer the questions asked here on the forum so we could figure out what was wrong with it and maybe save it. Also you now want us to tell you everything about chameleons. I really don't think you are ready to have one at all because you should be responsible enough that you make the effort to learn on your own. There is lots of good information on here...you could start with that. So why not learn all you can on here and then ask us about things you don't know or don't understand before you get another one?

Trent said..."You said that he needs to learn about chameleons on his own. This is his choice of learning about them. Asking people who have experience with them. Also, how do you know he is 13 and has "already lost a chameleon"? He never said this as far as I have seen."...look in this thread...post 21 and 31....and I think the OP is female...
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/is-it-ok-for-chameleons-to-sleep-daytime.157217/

Regarding feel that if she can't take the responsibility to do some work to learn about chameleons by reading instead of expecting us to hand feed her the answers then she's not going to be responsible enough to take care of a chameleon.

Trent said..."You said that he needs to learn about chameleons on his own. This is his choice of learning about them. Asking people who have experience with them. Also, how do you know he is 13 and has "already lost a chameleon"? He never said this as far as I have seen."...look in this thread...post 21 and 31....and I think the OP is female...
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/is-it-ok-for-chameleons-to-sleep-daytime.157217/

Regarding feel that if she can't take the responsibility to do some work to learn about chameleons by reading instead of expecting us to hand feed her the answers then she's not going to be responsible enough to take care of a chameleon.
Umm I'm so sorry I forgot to mention that I actually haven't had a Cham before I was sitting one that was already sick and it was my friends so that's also why I am trying to figure out all of this I never this because people always judge me or my friend so I'm so sorry for all of that thank you for all of the help! But if this is how chameleon people talk to each other than maybe I will just do my own research and btw why I was just asking on here is because people have different opinions on how to take care of vaileds and sometimes it's people that bring me down and tell me I can't take care of one. Yes my friends did die but we took it to the vet and she said there wasn't much we could do about it and the condition it was in it was sick before my friend was gone okNow I feel terrible. Bye!!

Hmmm...in this thread...
https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...my-chameleon-from-pets-smart-any-tips.156336/ Cham_boomerang said..."So I just got my chameleon from pets smart but they don't know if he is female or male any tips? I know he just grew and he's shedding skin I don't know what that means"...you said "my chameleon". In that thread you were asked to answer the questions in the how to ask for help thread and didn't. You were also given a link to the care sheet.
In this thread you were asked if you read the care sheet and you said no.
In this thread you said you got a thermometer but you never told me what the temperature was..until much later.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/i-need-help.156437/

There's no reason not to still ask questions on here but you need to read the links we give you and search for the information and then ask questions you have about things you don't understand. If you're going to have a chance eleon you need to show you are responsible enough to learn about it and look after it properly...that's all I said.

@Cham_boomerang Im sorry you are having a tough time... I hope you understand that we can only go on what you say. sometimes it can be easy to type one thing when you really meant something else but if it's unclear, don't be surprised if it's frustrating to those trying to answer your questions.

My son is 12 and he is a good kid, but I don't know if he would be ready to navigate this forum without my assistance. He says stuff in confusing ways sometimes. I know 13 is older, and I think it's lovely that you are interested in being a charm owner. I think a goal of most here is to keep chams safe, healthy and happy and that means answering the questions of new owners. I bet @kinyonga (and others) have answered the same questions a million times over the years !

My suggestion is to take one of your questions at a time and answer it yourself by searching the forums for someone who has already asked your question... does that make sense? And keep doing that until you have a good, solid understanding of the basics. Decide what cham you want, figure out how much it will cost to set him up and put a little money in savings for emergencies. That's what someone would do if they cared about chams. That's what I told my son to do when he wanted a bearded dragon.

You can ask your questions, but learn the basics yourself first by reading other posts, caresheets, etc. I hope that helps a little :)

Back
Top Bottom