Please help! Worried chameleon poop

jack_wardayyyy

Established Member
Hi,

The past few days my chameleon has struggled to pass feces and the past two times I have found it it has been alike to this but this is the smallest yet. Really small and dry, there was more urate to this on it just broke off when I went to wipe it up. Can anyone help? He seems perfectly fine behavioural wise and he’s no different with handling. He has plenty of access to water and is sprayed regularly
image.jpg

Hi he has been eating fine, he won’t eat roaches tho seems to only want silk works and locust :( sorry I’m new to this but what do you mean husbandry checked?
No, take a fresh fecal sample to a vet to be tested for parasites. You will need to call to see if someone can test it first before seeing him. Then if it comes back positive they would need to see him to get weight for meds.

You have not had him long right? Sorry I do not remember the back story with him.

No, take a fresh fecal sample to a vet to be tested for parasites. You will need to call to see if someone can test it first before seeing him. Then if it comes back positive they would need to see him to get weight for meds.

You have not had him long right? Sorry I do not remember the back story with him.
thank you! I will do this tomorrow when he poops.

I haven’t had him too long maybe 2 months?

Also I have read that based on what he eats can make this happen, he has a diet of dubia roaches, silkworms and locust but lately it has mainly been roaches and silkworms. I’m going to try just locust like I did at the start for a few days see if this makes a difference in whilst I also take the feces to the vets

thank you! I will do this tomorrow when he poops.

I haven’t had him too long maybe 2 months?

Also I have read that based on what he eats can make this happen, he has a diet of dubia roaches, silkworms and locust but lately it has mainly been roaches and silkworms. I’m going to try just locust like I did at the start for a few days see if this makes a difference in whilst I also take the feces to the vets
The silkworms should counter act the harder feeders. I would still get a fecal in. We can see mucous like this when there is a parasite issue. So better to ensure that it is not that.

Hi a husbandry check is when members, ask about your setup, temps humidity, supplements etc , but I can see you are in very good hands with Beman, 👌
Ahhh thank you for explaining that :) he is in a 90x60x45 getting his bigger one at the end of this month as he is getting to that size now and his temp is 30C at basking 25 in the middle of the tank - humidity is 70% at night and 40-60 in the day. 6 days a week he has Earth pro A supplemental and then nutrobal on the 7th day :)

Beman has been a saviour!

The silkworms should counter act the harder feeders. I would still get a fecal in. We can see mucous like this when there is a parasite issue. So better to ensure that it is not that.
Ahhhh :( I’ve registered him at my local exotic vets and they’re getting in touch tomorrow! Really appreciate your help with this

Ahhh thank you for explaining that :) he is in a 90x60x45 getting his bigger one at the end of this month as he is getting to that size now and his temp is 30C at basking 25 in the middle of the tank - humidity is 70% at night and 40-60 in the day. 6 days a week he has Earth pro A supplemental and then nutrobal on the 7th day :)

Beman has been a saviour!
Yes she is .hi you need to stop the nutrollbal ASAP it is not recommended for chameleons and can be dangerous

I know I was not one you tagged but I have that husbandry form on save so hope this is helpful! 😊
Here you go...

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. long has it been in your care?How
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

I know I was not one you tagged but I have that husbandry form on save so hope this is helpful! 😊
Here you go...

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. long has it been in your care?How
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
Thank you I just don't agree with the supplements and their use so best check other aspects

Here you go...

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Nosy Be Panther, male, and age of your chameleon - turning 1 year old. long has it been in your care? 2 months roughly
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Everyday
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? Dubia Roaches, Silkworms, Locust
What amount? 4 a day (working towards missing days) What is the schedule 4 on one day 2 on the other? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Dandelion leaves, other salad options such as lettuce, carrots and apple
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium - Earth pro A and vitamin products - nutrobal (are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? - 6 days Earth pro A 1 day nutrobal
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use - little dripper system onto a hosta plant? How often and how long to you mist - currently gets misted about 6-8 times a day for maybe 20 seconds with a bottle, Exo terra monsoon is ordered and on its way? Do you see your chameleon drinking? - not usually but the past two days he has been going straight to the dripper nozzle and drinking from that not the leaves
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? - white with an orange tint for the urate would probably describe the main colour as off white. The past 2-3 feces have been dry and hard. I have asked the reptile centre if he was tested but I think he has been but I have registered with a vet to get this done anyway
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. He was fully raised in the reptile centre as they planned to use him for breeding but he never was fussed the female - they didn’t breed him. He spent a couple months waiting to be brought home. He was handled frequently and I can not tell you how much he loves it. He’s at his brightest when sat on my shoulder or in my hands - never puffs up or shows signs of stress. The reptile centre said they fed him 4 locust a day dusted with nutrobal (I think it was nutrobal everyday) but when I brought him home he was chewing plants so I fed him more and this stopped (he ate one and pooped it out at the very start). His behaviour hasn’t changed he’s still eating but he’s not willing to eat the roaches at the moment just works and locust but I understand that chameleons aren’t massively keen on the roaches.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Glass screens with a mesh top 90x60x45. I have just ordered a new enclosure 120x60x60 with a 30cm stand and one mesh side and mesh roof
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I can’t remember the exact lights but it’s a heat lamp - normal colour not red with a thermostat could be habitat (I’m currently working away from home) and I can’t remember the uv but I know it’s the correct one as I followed recommendations from Clint’s reptiles and Neptune
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? - 30C at the top - basking spot. The middle of the viv is around 25C unsure what the bottom is but it is very shaded by live plants. Lowest overnight temp? Lowest night temps around 15C I believe How do you measure these temps? I have a thermostat for the light controlling that and a thermostat in the viv with a hydrometer
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? 40-60 throughout the day maintained by plants and misting 70+ at night maintained by a humidifier What do you use to measure humidity? Hydrometer
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Hosta, zamioculcas, nandina
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? In my bedroom which is typically empty throughout the day no vents or fans near. At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Above half way his basking spot is about my head height at 5’6-5’8
Location - Where are you geographically located? Leeds UK

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. - his feces is hard and it looks like he’s struggling to pass the only thing I’ve noticed is his desire to drink the moment the water goes on. We recently redesigned the inside of his viv taking out the soil bottom as it wasn’t bioactive and every advised a clean bottom and then added 3 real plants in to help him for coverage - this included a hosta plant as people recommended removing the big dripper plant as it builds bacteria

Back
Top Bottom