please help - wood lice!!

You’re welcome! I hope things work out for you, what makes you think your guy has parasites? Hopefully nothing too bad. And I wouldn’t freak out about the branches. I’ve never seen a chameleon hurt on here from something branch related other than foot sores from incorrect sizes and textures(more of an issue with large species). My advice is mostly just to save you the headache of having to replace them every month lol.
his appetite is decreasing more and more. at first i thought it was lack of variety, but i have introduced more variety and i still see no more changes. ive tried everything for him to get to eat more. feeder runs, controlled release, hand feeding.. yet he still only eats three bugs a day. he has been doing this for more than a week; maybe even two. his eyes are becoming sunken

his appetite is decreasing more and more. at first i thought it was lack of variety, but i have introduced more variety and i still see no more changes. ive tried everything for him to get to eat more. feeder runs, controlled release, hand feeding.. yet he still only eats three bugs a day. he has been doing this for more than a week; maybe even two. his eyes are becoming sunken
the vet said that he looked underweight, and i feel so bad for my boy. i got him from petco. my guess is that he has always had a load, but they increased which in return gave him these side effects. he is four months old and should be eating way more in order to grow! what do you recommend would be the best thing to do while im waiting for the results of my fecal test?

the vet said that he looked underweight, and i feel so bad for my boy. i got him from petco. my guess is that he has always had a load, but they increased which in return gave him these side effects. he is four months old and should be eating way more in order to grow! what do you recommend would be the best thing to do while im waiting for the results of my fecal test?
Keep collecting fecal samples, sometimes the parasites shed at different intervals and can be in one sample and not another. The results shouldn't take long, my vet was able to do them during my actual appointment. How long are they having you wait?

If it's something like coccidia you'll want to start over with your enclosure since the oosts are so persistent. Just something to consider given the discussion on branches thusfar. Might make sense to wait for results before making any big changes.

Keep collecting fecal samples, sometimes the parasites shed at different intervals and can be in one sample and not another. The results shouldn't take long, my vet was able to do them during my actual appointment. How long are they having you wait?

If it's something like coccidia you'll want to start over with your enclosure since the oosts are so persistent. Just something to consider given the discussion on branches thusfar. Might make sense to wait for results before making any big changes.
i bought a mail-in one from rainbow mealworms, so the results might take awhile. im worried for my boy though, it could be too late by the time that i actually do get the results.

i bought a mail-in one from rainbow mealworms, so the results might take awhile. im worried for my boy though, it could be too late by the time that i actually do get the results.
Ohhh okay thanks for clarifying sorry if I missed that. Can you go to a vet? Do you need help finding one? Given the symptoms would be good to have a knowledgeable vet do a physical, fecal, and review your husbandry.

Ohhh okay thanks for clarifying sorry if I missed that. Can you go to a vet? Do you need help finding one? Given the symptoms would be good to have a knowledgeable vet do a physical, fecal, and review your husbandry.
help finding one would be great! i have heard that a lot of vets can do fecals for reptiles?

Wait on the fecal results before you make any cage changes.... You want to limit stress if he is carrying a parasite load.

If you are going to use fake vines only buy the flukers brand vines in multiple diameters. The other brands like the exoterra vines are dangerous for chams.

I agree with the others, I’d wait on results. Honestly, not to scare you, but sunken eyes are very serious. That is usually what comes right before death in many cases. I absolutely agree that whatever it is came from petco beforehand, possibly pet store feeders too. Nothing you’re doing would cause an animal to decline that fast. A baby should be eating a ton, if he was an older juvenile or adult it could be normal, but healthy babies like to eat!

I’m sorry this is happening I’d get to a good vet soon. Do you know how long the results take for the mail in? I’m also in PA, but I’m over in Pittsburgh. We have a decent vet here with some Cham experience, but I’m sure there’s something closer over near Philly?

Looks like it might be a bit of a drive for you, but worth it if they have chameleon experience and an opening soon!

Adrienne M. Breaux
318 Northern Blvd
South Abington Township
Pennsylvania
18411-9305
United States
570-5877777

You can search for other options on this site: https://arav.site-ym.com/search/newsearch.asp
i have emailed this vet before about these problems, she agreed that he was underweight but never mentioned anything about making an appointment. would you recommend that i wait until the fecal results first before bringing him in?

I agree with the others, I’d wait on results. Honestly, not to scare you, but sunken eyes are very serious. That is usually what comes right before death in many cases. I absolutely agree that whatever it is came from petco beforehand, possibly pet store feeders too. Nothing you’re doing would cause an animal to decline that fast. A baby should be eating a ton, if he was an older juvenile or adult it could be normal, but healthy babies like to eat!

I’m sorry this is happening I’d get to a good vet soon. Do you know how long the results take for the mail in? I’m also in PA, but I’m over in Pittsburgh. We have a decent vet here with some Cham experience, but I’m sure there’s something closer over near Philly?
at first, my baby would down 16 bugs easily everyday. he was so healthy and growing incredibly fast. then all of a sudden, his appetite decreased by a lot. i thought that it may be a hunger strike after the superworms i fed him, but i began to realize that it wasn't the case after days went by. that's when i came to the conclusion that he probably had an increasing parasite load from the start.

the results will probably take another two-three days. yes, i have a vet that's about 40-50 minutes away. after i find out what type of parasites, i will 100% go in to get prescribed medicine for him

If was eating good when got him most likely it's your setup. If stressed when they have parasites and not setup right. The parasites will double and get worse. Any pet I get I always take them to the vet inless it something like fish. A wellness check up is always a good thing for any new pet.

If was eating good when got him most likely it's your setup. If stressed when they have parasites and not setup right. The parasites will double and get worse. Any pet I get I always take them to the vet inless it something like fish. A wellness check up is always a good thing for any new pet.
i have not made any drastic changes to his enclosure. i replaced one branch about three weeks ago, and i occasionally clean. i got him one month and a half ago. for the first three weeks, he was eating fine. personally, i do not think there is anything wrong with his setup since i have kept things pretty much the same since i got him.

According to my vet, there are some parasites that won’t be detectable in a fecal sample that is over an hour old. I don’t recall which he told me they were, but I believe coccidia was one (if memory serves). You may need to call and ask around to some closer (cat & dog) veterinarians to see if they will be willing/able to process a chameleon fecal and collaborate with your exotics vet.

maybe someone mentioned this, but I didn't go over all replies.
Boil them first, then bake them. That should do it

he has now been starting to make squeaking noises while opening his mouth. his colors are weird and abnormal. i dont know what i should do

Back
Top Bottom