Please help! Swollen leg

Mkb123

my Jackson’s chameleon has a really swollen back leg that he is favoring, at this point it is clear to me he needs to see a vet but I’m having trouble finding one. I live in Georgia around the Macon area. I was planning on going to Atlanta this weekend so if anyone knows a reptile vet there please let me know. I will include some pictures of his leg In case anyone on here can tell what’s wrong, also if there is anything I can do to help him until he can go to the vet please let me know.

34FCC0A2-D328-487C-9877-56780F8C71E2.jpeg
3143AD3D-D73A-42A0-8AAE-FD3589FE73A3.jpeg
3143AD3D-D73A-42A0-8AAE-FD3589FE73A3.jpeg
45F6CB50-A5F6-4A3B-B56C-E6B84B6BE176.jpeg
246E70F9-CE53-421E-A0E7-70BFA47A9083.jpeg

Attachments

• E83D0BD8-4618-4976-B3CA-31B981763175.jpeg
    E83D0BD8-4618-4976-B3CA-31B981763175.jpeg
    156.6 KB · Views: 221
Gout, injury or an infection are all possibilities. I'm sure there rare others as well. If you fill out the how to ask for help form https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/ we might be able to narrow it down.
In the mean time I would keep him hydrated and warm, maybe even increase his basking area temperature a couple of degrees and pads the bottom of his cage incase of falls.
Keep trying back with your vet daily to see if you can get in if there is a cancellation or a chance of a fit in.

• Your Chameleon - He is a male Jackson’s chameleon, I’ve had him since July. We believe he is around 1 1/2 but I’m not sure
  • Handling - I don’t handle him too often at all, maybe once a month
  • Feeding - I feed him mainly crickets and super worms, both gut loaded with carrots and mixed greens and fruit
  • Supplements - Repticalcium without d3 every feeding. Repticalcium with d3 once a month
  • Watering - I mist him every day 2-3 times a day for 2-5 mins
  • Fecal Description - His poop looks Normal
  • History -

• Cage Info:
    • Cage Type: https://imgur.com/a/wLwtU
    • Lighting - Dome lights, 5 Watts i think? I can look for sure when I get home
    • Temperature - He’s basking spot is around 85
    • Humidity - I don’t have a humidity gadget currently but I mist as well as use a little dripper
    • Plants - Umbrella plant
    • Placement - he has his own little room, his cage is about 3 ft off the ground
    • Current location: Georgia US
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. Swollen leg

Nothing jumps out at me but I would take all that info with you to the vet along with pictures of your setup and his most recent poop just incase it's needed.
Probably not related but could use more plants up top in his cage, linear lighting and a hygrometer as you mentioned.

Good that you are taking it to a vet!
Could be a number of things but I'm sure you need a vet.

One comment...do you have a UVB light on the cage?

Nothing jumps out at me but I would take all that info with you to the vet along with pictures of your setup and his most recent poop just incase it's needed.
Probably not related but could use more plants up top in his cage, linear lighting and a hygrometer as you mentioned.
Good that you are taking it to a vet!
Could be a number of things but I'm sure you need a vet.

One comment...do you have a UVB light on the cage?
yes, I got my light when I got him in July. I hope he makes it to the vet, he looks like he’s struggling a lot to move even a little bit

I'm not sure but I think his front legs look a bit swollen too. Have you asked if the clinic cnat get him in sooner?

I'm not sure but I think his front legs look a bit swollen too. Have you asked if the clinic cnat get him in sooner?
Yea when I called to make the appointment they told me the exotics vet was out till Thursday so I asked if she was taking emergencies or if they had an emergency contact and they don’t.

Update: We went to the vet today and my little guy was diagnosed with early MBD. Since I dust regularly and keep him under a uvb the vet said it could have been from whoever previously owned him and is just now showing its self. He likely fell(due to MBD) and hurt his leg but it’s not broken, just some bruising. The vet was very kind and gave him a shot to keep him hydrated as well as some calcium liquid and food supplement to give him twice a day until he is stronger. I already replaced his UVB just in case too. Since we caught it early he is expected to make a full recovery.

What is the food he gave you for him? What did he say to do about the swelling? Are you going to continue the liquid calcium at home now?

What is the food he gave you for him? What did he say to do about the swelling? Are you going to continue the liquid calcium at home now?
I asked if he needed anything for the swelling and they leg and she said it should heal up fine since it’s just some bruising, but to call or bring him in if he gets any worse. The food is called critical care and I will feed both that and the calcium syrup from home twice a day until he will eat on his own. I have to syringe feed him

Be careful not to push the food or calcium into it's mouth quickly so it won't aspirate it.
Not sure if the swelling will go down or not.

Be careful not to push the food or calcium into it's mouth quickly so it won't aspirate it.
Not sure if the swelling will go down or not.
Is there anything I can do for his swelling at home ? If not or if it Worsens I will ask the vet about it again

I can't really tell you. I only know that any of the very very few times I've seen swelling in a chameleon leg from an injury the swelling usually turns into fibrous tissue and stays large.

Back
Top Bottom