Please help, Peaches isn't feeling well.

EmperorFPI

I am new to this forum. Thank you for your help!!!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Female Veiled Chameleon around 2 1/2 years old.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Once a week.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
I feed her once a day about 3 or 4 large crickets and a little dish of meal worms sit in her cage all day.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
none
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
I have a little dripper on top the cage that drips all day and occasionally mist her
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
She poops normally and they all look normal but she hasn't pooped in 10 days. Shes never been tested for parasites
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
She laid her first set of eggs 6 months ago and her 2nd 3 months ago shes acting the same as when shes laid eggs in the past but still hasn't laid any.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
    Its an all screen cage. 30" h 16" d 16"w
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Mega-Ray Mercury Vapor Bulb - 100 watts (120V). The light sits above her cage. It turns on at automatically at 9 am and turns off at 11pm.

Temperture
her cage is at 84 and drops 74 at the lowest.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
We don't really track her humidity.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
No live plants.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Her cage sits by a window in a not too bright room. but its quiet and not a lot of action. her cage sits on a chair.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Austin, Texas
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

She is acting similar to when she laid eggs last time but hasn't laid any. Shes lethargic, not eating, not pooping, not drinking water, and not climbing high on her branch.
20211021_185941.jpg

She should have been getting proper supplements...UVB light either from the sun or a proper long linear UVB light such as the reptisun 5.0'or the Arcadia 6%. I'm surprised she hasn't got huge signs of MBD.

How many eggs did she lay each time? The timing is off on how often she lays them too.

There's lots wrong with your husbandry.

I will let some of the experts here help, but your girl needs a vet ASAP. With no supplements or dusting of the crickets, your girl, most likely has MBD. The lighting needs to be addresses as Mercury Vapor bulbs are not a good choice for chameleons. She is being fed too much too often, and her cage likely needs some changes as well. A picture of the entire cage, including lights, would help us.

let me call in @Beman @MissSkittles and @jannb, @kinyonga is already here and can be a HUGE help!!

She should have been getting proper supplements...UVB light either from the sun or a proper long linear UVB light such as the reptisun 5.0'or the Arcadia 6%. I'm surprised she hasn't got huge signs of MBD.

How many eggs did she lay each time? The timing is off on how often she lays them too.

thank you, this is a week old replacement bulb that we just got since the other one was flickering, it stated it was highly rated with uvb/uva

Taking to vet in AM. thanks again.

She had a reptisun 5.0 for while but a couple weeks ago it started to flicker so we replaced it. (sounds like a bad choice)
26 1st time, 22 the 2nd time. I've read that every 3 months is not uncommon, what is the correct info?
I'm trying to correct my shortcomings, got this as a gift and have used this forum for info, which is great but I must have messed it up.

you said..."She had a reptisun 5.0 for while but a couple weeks ago it started to flicker so we replaced it. (sounds like a bad choice)".. The most recommended UVB lights are the long linear 5.0 Reptisun or the 6% Arcadia long linear tube UVB light.

You said..."26 1st time, 22 the 2nd time. I've read that every 3 months is not uncommon, what is the correct info?"...number of eggs is good...but it's normally every 120 to 130 days that they lay them.

You said..."I'm trying to correct my shortcomings, got this as a gift and have used this forum for info, which is great but I must have messed it up"...the forum is a great place to learn!

Your Chameleon[/B] - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
[/LIST]
Female Veiled Chameleon around 2 1/2 years old.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Once a week.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? DO YOU GUTLOAD/FEED YOUR INSECTS?
I feed her once a day about 3 or 4 large crickets and a little dish of meal worms sit in her cage all day.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
none

• MOST OFTEN TECOMMENDED WWY TO DO THE SUPPLEMENTS IS THIS....AT EVERY FEEDING BUT ONE A WEEK DUST LIGHTLY WITH A PHOS FREE CALCIUM POWDER. ON THE REMAINING FEEDING EACH WEEK, USE A PHOS FREE CALCIUM/D3 ALTERNATING WITH A VITAMIN POWDER WITH A PREFORMED SOURCE IF VITMIN A AND NO D3.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
I have a little dripper on top the cage that drips all day and occasionally mist her
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
She poops normally and they all look normal but she hasn't pooped in 10 days. Shes never been tested for parasites
  • WHAT COLOR ARE THE URATES?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
She laid her first set of eggs 6 months ago and her 2nd 3 months ago shes acting the same as when shes laid eggs in the past but still hasn't laid any.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
    Its an all screen cage. 30" h 16" d 16"w
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Mega-Ray Mercury Vapor Bulb - 100 watts (120V). The light sits above her cage. It turns on at automatically at 9 am and turns off at 11pm.
FOR A BASKING LIGHT I RECOMMEND A REGULAR HOUSEHOLD INCANDESCENT LIGHT OF A WATTAGE THAT PRODUCES THE RIGHT TEMPERATURE WHERE THE CHAMELEON SITS UNDER IT. TEST IT TO MAKE SURE IT WONT BURN HER. ALREADY TALKED ABOUT THE UVB.
Temperture
her cage is at 84 and drops 74 at the lowest.
  • BASKING TEMPERATURE?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
We don't really track her humidity.

• YOU SHOULD TRACK IT.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
No live plants.

• YOU SHOULD BE USING LIVE PLNTS...ESPECIALLY WITH A VEILED SINCE THEY WILL MUNCH ON LEAVES AND CAN BECOME IMPACTED IF THEY ARE FAKE.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Her cage sits by a window in a not too bright room. but its quiet and not a lot of action. her cage sits on a chair.
[LIST
DOES THE SUN SHINE DIRECTLY ON THE CAGE?
[*]Location - Where are you geographically located?
[/LIST]
Austin, Texas
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

She is acting similar to when she laid eggs last time but hasn't laid any. Shes lethargic, not eating, not pooping, not drinking water, and not climbing high on her branch. MAY BE EGGBOUND.
[/QUOTE]

Back
Top Bottom