Please help! Need advice New baby veiled chameleon

Rainbow

Hi I’m only new to this site, and have got so much very helpful information. My daughter who is only 12 always wanted a Chameleon, we went to our local pet store 3 days ago just to find out more about the Chameleons, and was really happy with the information I received, (low maintenance, loves been handled, basically was told it like looking after a cat or a dog. etc) I was so taken in, great pet for a 12 yr old!! so I ended up buying the whole set up plus a beautiful baby male Veiled Chameleon. I have googled lots on the veiled chameleon and the information has been all so conflicting, when I came across this forum last night, i was shocked to discover it wasn’t what I was told. I would think high maintenance, require a lot of looking after, was told they eat crickets, they gave me a box of adult size crickets, never knew anything about you have to gut load, or dust them. I want to do everything possible I can. Can any one help me. I’m actually wondering did the pet store even give me the correct lighting, basking bulb, I was only reading threads on here, also humidly . Thank you so much In advance. Criticism is also welcome. I understand I should of done research myself. instead of taking the pet store’s word. But It’s too late now, he is with us, and want to be the best keeper possible for him.
385B8C0A-63CB-47DB-96AF-B7F7CAD29B9F.jpeg
4EA66BBA-9592-4FFE-B53D-98BCD497339F.jpeg

Welcome to the forum. Yes You have to cut load your feeders. And dust then too with calcium. Also give him D3 twice a month. Read up. Lots to learn. But overall easy to take care of him once u get the hang of it!

Thank you so much for your feedback, can I ask do you gut load all the insects why you buy them, or is it only the selected ones you want to feed the chameleon

Thank you so much for your feedback, can I ask do you gut load all the insects why you buy them, or is it only the selected ones you want to feed the chameleon
Depends on which u want to feed him. Like I gut load my roaches. And for crickets I just give them cricket feed. I don’t gut load the super worms. And hornworms come with their own feed. There’s lots more u can feed. But those are the ones I’m using now. Will get different one in future to switch up his diet.

Depends on which u want to feed him. Like I gut load my roaches. And for crickets I just give them cricket feed. I don’t gut load the super worms. And hornworms come with their own feed. There’s lots more u can feed. But those are the ones I’m using now. Will get different one in future to switch up his diet.
Thank you, can I ask you what the humidity range should be? Because I have read so many different things. Just so confused. I bought a humidity thermometer, I try to keep it at 80% it’s not realistic without spraying every few hours.

Thank you, can I ask you what the humidity range should be? Because I have read so many different things. Just so confused. I bought a humidity thermometer, I try to keep it at 80% it’s not realistic without spraying every few hours.
Humidity for a veiled should be 30-50%. 80% is too high and can lead to respiratory infections when combined with heat. Can you fill out the husbandry form, and we can go through everything with you?

Mines is usually. Around 50 during the day. 80 too high u only want high humidity at night when sleeping sleeping around 70 rh. But try keeping it around 40-50 during the day. Mine does fine at that range. But they are all a little different. But only keep it high at night.

Hi and welcome to the forum! :) Congrats on your little cutie!
Unfortunately, your story is one that many share. But, we can move forward and help you to get things set up perfectly for your baby. First though, you need to tell us what you currently have and are doing so we know where the changes need to be made. I understand you may not have all of the answers, but if you could do your best at filling this out (copy & paste), someone can look it over and offer suggestions and advice.
Very glad to have you here! 😊

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Mines is usually. Around 50 during the day. 80 too high u only want high humidity at night when sleeping sleeping around 70 rh. But try keeping it around 40-50 during the day. Mine does fine at that range. But they are all a little different. But only keep it high at night.
Really!, wow, thank you for your advice, I was told the higher the better, so I was trying to keep it as high as I could. A lot of work misting by hand. To keep humidity around 40-50 during the day is around normal humidity temperature here.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • veiled Chameleon, Male, not sure of age pet shop said a few weeks old.

• twice a day

• Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • 3x Crickets, 6/7 small hoppers, lettuce. Fed in morn and afternoon. Gut load crickets fruit and veg

• Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • reptoboost to dust crickets every second day

• Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • hand mist several times a day to keep humidity near 80%. But was advised on this group humidity is too high and recommended 30%~50%

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • It changes, solid dark brown, inside white, solid dark brown, inside very runny and white. Never tested

• History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • All glass sides with mesh/wire top 24” x 18” x 18”

• Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Arcadia UV fluorescent strip proT5 8w - Exo Terra basking lamp on top of the cage 100w bulb both are 12 hrs on 12 hrs off. On a timer

• Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Temp 28 degrees during day. 21 degrees at night basking spot 32 have a Habistat digital dimming thermostat inside the cage

• Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Was keeping it around 80% but was told last night 30%-50% is enough, have a digital humidity thermometer inside the cage. Misting by hand several times a day. I have a fogger but unsure if I should use it.

• No

• Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • In bedroom, very quite, no fan no vents, it’s kept on a shelf 3ft from the floor

• Dublin, Ireland
Thank you.

Attachments

• B49F4553-BBD4-45BC-8A1C-76EC25F6582D.jpeg
    B49F4553-BBD4-45BC-8A1C-76EC25F6582D.jpeg
    170 KB · Views: 98
  • 7F34F044-7C9F-4991-B94C-53124D915105.jpeg
    7F34F044-7C9F-4991-B94C-53124D915105.jpeg
    194.9 KB · Views: 99
  • 699FDBDB-0E10-40A6-A6F9-0CA0F53500F1.jpeg
    699FDBDB-0E10-40A6-A6F9-0CA0F53500F1.jpeg
    164.9 KB · Views: 103
  • 2A228153-C2A2-4187-8DFC-CBFB6AAD895F.jpeg
    2A228153-C2A2-4187-8DFC-CBFB6AAD895F.jpeg
    200.3 KB · Views: 109
  • 1FD984E9-8ABE-4AF8-849D-724E3E67674A.jpeg
    1FD984E9-8ABE-4AF8-849D-724E3E67674A.jpeg
    175.8 KB · Views: 98
  • F80B56A5-C3F2-4091-8CBF-C6646F2871EF.jpeg
    F80B56A5-C3F2-4091-8CBF-C6646F2871EF.jpeg
    76.5 KB · Views: 97
  • E64EC4B7-A359-4757-9801-5E328B78D95D.jpeg
    E64EC4B7-A359-4757-9801-5E328B78D95D.jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 98
  • 3359D56F-7601-447D-9C89-5994824528C6.jpeg
    3359D56F-7601-447D-9C89-5994824528C6.jpeg
    68.6 KB · Views: 98
Thank you
Hi, I have been keeping the humidity between 40-50 all day, I have noticed my chameleon has spent most of the time under the basking lamp, his mouth has been open for a long time, and his tail all curled up. I have never seen this before, every time I go near his cadge he is getting dark spots all over him. He fell from his branch a while ago and turned brown all over. He is fully alert moving around, his eyes look normal, and he just ate 2 more small hoppers. Should I be worried? The only thing different today was reducing the humidity
4FA20A9F-9D2A-46E3-893E-805BA4142B05.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi, I have been keeping the humidity between 40-50 all day, I have noticed my chameleon has spent most of the time under the basking lamp, his mouth has been open for a long time, and his tail all curled up. I have never seen this before, every time I go near his cadge he is getting dark spots all over him. He fell from his branch a while ago and turned brown all over. He is fully alert moving around, his eyes look normal, and he just ate 2 more small hoppers. Should I be worried? The only thing different today was reducing the humidityView attachment 297129
Your basking spot is a very high temperature, I’m pretty sure it should be 80-85 Fahrenheit or 26-29 Celsius (idk, I googled it)? Idk you should get more help from people who know more than me. But the mouth opening thing they do to regulate their body temperature when they get very hot so you really want to lower the basking temps. Also I would really recommend switching to live plants as veileds tend to “sample” their plants if you will😂. I would also say to take out substrate too bc if they shoot to get a bug off the ground they can get the substrate and get impacted and stuff so that’s not good. I’ll do what everyone else does and put the form down that you filled out and put pretty much what I just said in it so it’s a bit easier to read and stuff like that
Chameleon Info:
  • veiled Chameleon, Male, not sure of age pet shop said a few weeks old.
  • that sucks that they sold you one that young, for a beginner you should get one that is at least 3 months old bc they have a higher survival rate than chams younger than them

• twice a day
  • maybe try to handle less? I’d say it can be stressful for the chameleon
  • 3x Crickets, 6/7 small hoppers, lettuce. Fed in morn and afternoon. Gut load crickets fruit and veg

• reptoboost to dust crickets every second day you can dust with calcium every feeding, calcium with D3 2x a month, and multivitamin 2x a month

• hand mist several times a day to keep humidity near 80%. But was advised on this group humidity is too high and recommended 30%~50% yep, 30-50 is good

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • It changes, solid dark brown, inside white, solid dark brown, inside very runny and white. Never tested

Cage Info:
  • All glass sides with mesh/wire top 24” x 18” x 18” you need to switch to a 2’x2’x4’ mesh cage as soon as you can, it’s the minimum for veileds and others

• Arcadia UV fluorescent strip proT5 8w - Exo Terra basking lamp on top of the cage 100w bulb both are 12 hrs on 12 hrs off. On a timer

• Temp 28 degrees during day. 21 degrees at night basking spot 32 have a Habistat digital dimming thermostat inside the cage
  • Basking is very hot, 26-29 Celsius I think is what I said in that big paragraph in the beginning
  • Was keeping it around 80% but was told last night 30%-50% is enough, have a digital humidity thermometer inside the cage. Misting by hand several times a day. I have a fogger but unsure if I should use it.
    You can use a fogger at night between 12am and 4 am, 30-50 is good for humidity
  • No. You should switch to live, veileds tend to “sample” their plants so go for safe ones like pothos, and with the “sampling” they can eat the plastic plants and get impacted so for me it isn’t worth the risk

• In bedroom, very quite, no fan no vents, it’s kept on a shelf 3ft from the floor

• Dublin, Ireland
Thank you.
please let me know if I’ve gotten some information incorrect

So you actually look to have a much better set up than most who are sold the dread ’chameleon kit’. Just want to add on a few things to what has already been said.
For feeding at such a young age, they should be given as much as they can eat in about a 15 minute period. Rule of thumb for feeder size is anything larger than the space between the eyes is too big. You don’t need to feed your little sweetie anything but live bugs. While veileds will eat greens and such, it is of no benefit to them. Better to just put in lots of live plants and let them nibble the plants as they feel like it. Also, attaching the gutloading sheet. The better we feed the bugs, the healthier they are and more nutritious they are.
You could move your uvb so it’s diagonal and next to your basking light.
I’d get rid of the bark or whatever that is on the floor. A bare floor is much easier to keep clean and hygienic. There’s also risk of your cham accidentally eating a piece. Get some live plants and place some on the floor for aesthetics. Also, not sure what you’re using the little dishes for. They don’t need water dishes as they lap water drop off leaves. For a food dish, something up higher would be better as chams rarely go down to the ground.
You want to create a little forest for your baby with lots of branches/vines to climb along and lots of live plant leaf cover to hide in. While we enjoy being able to look at these beautiful little creatures, they feel safest when they have enough cover that we need to look for a minute or two to find them.
As you upgrade to the larger enclosure, if you do get all screen you can use various things to block off the sides if needed. Also, glass or screen...both are challenges in hanging things, but with screen there are more options. I don’t believe they ship internationally but there are Dragon Ledges, which are awesome! https://dragonstrand.com/dragon-ledges/ Some have crafted their own from sheet metal. You might want to look into doing something like that.
Btw, your little man is adorable! 😊

860D47CF-9FA3-4482-B02F-CF6ABB9EAC08.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom