PLease HELP My veild chameleon hind legs not moving well

Chamelonspeedy

sterday my chameleon was on my chair just staying there absorbing heat usually he doesn’t move and stays there, no one was in the room when he supposedly fell. Then he came out of the room and was only walking on the 2 front legs, later he got better and started moving his legs over a carpet and still has grip on his hind legs. Yesterday he ate a super worm and bananas. He has no swelling also. Does anyone have any idea how I can fix or any idea what to do or should I wait. Or what can a vet do?

Veild chameleon male almost 3 years old

UVB 15w reptisun 5.0 t8 light

Usually eats meal worm, super worms and occasionally eats wax worms and loves fruit

He had MBD but he gets the calcium from dusting and some liquid calcium

A XL screen cage.

Misting everyday 4 times

Heat 86

Cool spot 75

Handling almost everyday for 15 minutes

sterday my chameleon was on my chair just staying there absorbing heat usually he doesn’t move and stays there, no one was in the room when he supposedly fell. Then he came out of the room and was only walking on the 2 front legs, later he got better and started moving his legs over a carpet and still has grip on his hind legs. Yesterday he ate a super worm and bananas. He has no swelling also. Does anyone have any idea how I can fix or any idea what to do or should I wait. Or what can a vet do?

Veild chameleon male almost 3 years old

UVB 15w reptisun 5.0 t8 light

Usually eats meal worm, super worms and occasionally eats wax worms and loves fruit

He had MBD but he gets the calcium from dusting and some liquid calcium

A XL screen cage.

Misting everyday 4 times

Heat 86

Cool spot 75

Handling almost everyday for 15 minutes
Post pictures - I’m assuming no trauma like a fall took place-does he have any swollen joints or bumps on his legs? When was his last blood work? Looking for high Uric acid ...possible gout or pseudo gout (to much calcium) either can cause this-

Post pictures - I’m assuming no trauma like a fall took place-does he have any swollen joints or bumps on his legs? When was his last blood work? Looking for high Uric acid ...possible gout or pseudo gout (to much calcium) either can cause this-
I’m pretty sure he actually fell. He hasn’t done blood work, and I’m pretty sure he had MBD but now his bones seem better and I have been giving him liquid calcium everyday.

Attachments

• 6C059731-162A-4769-A7DD-DB3FCDD65728.jpeg
    6C059731-162A-4769-A7DD-DB3FCDD65728.jpeg
    126.1 KB · Views: 145
please fill this out so others can help you..

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

please fill this out so others can help you..

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
Chameleon info veiled, male and age 2 and 9 months, has been in my care for 2 years,
I handle him everyday for 15 minutes
I feed him silk worms, meal worms, wax worms and super worms and a lot of fruit. He usually eats 4 super worms a day.
Calcium is thrive and flukers calcium with d3 but I have been giving liquid calcium from exo terria.
Mist his cage 4 times a day everyday humidity usually 55%
Temperature is 35 and cool 24
I’m pretty sure my chameleon had MBD
XL screen cage
T8 uvb 5.0
Zoomed heating

Current problem does not move his back legs well and his tail is hardly moving I suspect it’s from a fall.
Located near the GTA in Ontario

You should research gout in chameleons. Sounds like that may be what's going on with your guy. Definitely get him to an experienced cham vet ASAP, blood tests will be able to diagnose him. I'm so sorry he isn't feeling well, I hope he pulls through. ):

p.s. here is some info on gout if you'd like to learn more:
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-medical-gout/
Thank you very much I have been very worried I’m planning to go to the vet, I don’t really think he has gout.

He usually eats 4 super worms a day
This is a bit much, especially considering superworms have higher fat content than other food items. He should be getting fed somewhere near 5 nutritious bugs every other day also while skipping the weekend, so it could very well be an issue with him being overweight.

Last edited:
There are multiple husbandry issues here. You need a vet that actually knows how to treat chameleons. There are many things that can cause this.

Depending on your distance from the T8 fixture to basking your bulb strength is very low for this fixture. And more then likely he has not been getting the UVB he should.

If all you are giving is calcium with D3 at each feeding this is another issue. Could be D3 toxicity.
They should only have calcium with D3 two times a month. Then a multivitamin two times a month. You rotate between these two week to week at one feeding. Then all other feedings you would give calcium without D3.

Without having blood work or xrays to diagnose MBD and a vet telling you exactly what to do and use you could actually be compromising his organ function with incorrect supplementation.

There are multiple husbandry issues here. You need a vet that actually knows how to treat chameleons. There are many things that can cause this.

Depending on your distance from the T8 fixture to basking your bulb strength is very low for this fixture. And more then likely he has not been getting the UVB he should.

If all you are giving is calcium with D3 at each feeding this is another issue. Could be D3 toxicity.
They should only have calcium with D3 two times a month. Then a multivitamin two times a month. You rotate between these two week to week at one feeding. Then all other feedings you would give calcium without D3.

Without having blood work or xrays to diagnose MBD and a vet telling you exactly what to do and use you could actually be compromising his organ function with incorrect supplementation.
Thank you very much. It’s just I’m pretty sure he fell on his spine, what can I do?

They do not just fall though... This is why we are asking questions and giving you feedback. There are other things that can cause issues with mobility.

Please post pics of the entire chameleon.
Here is some pic. He was on a chair in a bedroom where he absorbs heat by a window we usually leave him there alone and he has never fell and the chair is a cloth material so he hardly falls but I checked on him and was only walking on his front legs and he has never had that problem before so that’s why I assume he fell but I’m not completely sure.

Attachments

• D40DEDC3-6DA7-41B1-AB19-60979232D3DC.jpeg
    D40DEDC3-6DA7-41B1-AB19-60979232D3DC.jpeg
    373.6 KB · Views: 115
  • 5C0B77B1-3E48-43DD-8AC9-07186D2B53F6.jpeg
    5C0B77B1-3E48-43DD-8AC9-07186D2B53F6.jpeg
    285 KB · Views: 123
  • 704B341D-7DC5-4659-98E5-B0CB7AC1A262.jpeg
    704B341D-7DC5-4659-98E5-B0CB7AC1A262.jpeg
    298.5 KB · Views: 111
  • EBA8189C-3ACA-40B6-800F-72EC53CF0105.jpeg
    EBA8189C-3ACA-40B6-800F-72EC53CF0105.jpeg
    160.1 KB · Views: 108
  • B9511450-C643-47C2-8F3C-D68FC60C0E72.jpeg
    B9511450-C643-47C2-8F3C-D68FC60C0E72.jpeg
    229.7 KB · Views: 119
Here is some pic. He was on a chair in a bedroom where he absorbs heat by a window we usually leave him there alone and he has never fell and the chair is a cloth material so he hardly falls but I checked on him and was only walking on his front legs and he has never had that problem before so that’s why I assume he fell but I’m not completely sure.
Do you provide UVB for him there, either whenever he’s sitting there or when he’s sitting there long enough?

Back
Top Bottom