Please help my Panther Chameleon

papitorok

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
* Ambilobe Panther Chameleon, Male, 3 1/2 years old. Its been in my care for 3 years.
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
* I handle my chameleon twice a week.
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
* I feed my chameleon crickets. He gets 50-80 a week. His feeding schedule is every 3 days. I give them fruit, bread and vegetables.
Supplements - What brand and types of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
* I am dusting my feeders with Miner-all sticky tongue farm every other feeding.
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
* I use a waterfall. I mist 3 times a week for 10 minutes (rain shower bath) I do see my chameleon drinking.
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
* Colors from recent droppings is orange, white and black wet solid, normal. My chameleon has never been tested for parasites.
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
* I put him out to sunbathe in the yard four times a week.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
* My chameleons is housed in a screen cage. The dimensions are 16" deep by 16" wide by 40" tall.
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
* I use zoo-med, dome, 60 watt light bulb and a 5.0 UV florescent light. His daily lighting schedule is 8 hours of artificial light daily and 5 hours of natural sunlight 4 times a week.
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
* The temp range is between 75-85. Lowest overnight temperature is 68. Temps are measured by reptile gauge.
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
* Humidity levels fluctuate between 40 & 60. Creating and maintaining by misting. To measure I use reptile humidity gauge.
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
* I am using live plants. Average house ficus plant.
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
* My cage is located in my living room about a foot away from my flat screen TV. The cage is in the corner of the room, there is a ceiling fan located in center of room. The height is 5 feet.
Location - Where are you geographically located?
* North East - New York city.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
* My chameleon started closing his left eye then he started to close the right eye 3 weeks later. Now he's had them closed for 24 hrs. He's no longer eating or drinking in these last 24 hours. He still has a strong grip and has opened left eye a little bit but closes it again. Right eye is completely dry and remains closed. They both began to look sunken in this morning.

Pictures are helpful

Attachments

• 0.jpeg
    0.jpeg
    6.7 KB · Views: 168
  • 0-1.jpeg
    0-1.jpeg
    6.5 KB · Views: 172
  • 0-2.jpeg
    0-2.jpeg
    10 KB · Views: 158
  • 0-3.jpeg
    0-3.jpeg
    6.6 KB · Views: 154
  • 0-4.jpeg
    0-4.jpeg
    9.3 KB · Views: 149
Sorry to see your chameleon is not doing well. There are many things that I do not agree with on your husbandry. I cannot say for sure if any or one of them is contributing to his condition. I think that cage is way to small for an adult panther. Waterfalls are not the greatest idea as they breed bacteria and need constant cleaning, especially if he drinks out of it. He could be sick from that. Is that the only feeder you have ever given him is crickets?? No variety in his diet. That is a lot of crickets for an adult, but he really does not look overweight, but then again he is ill. The minerall you are supplementing with? Is it indoor or outdoor? There is a difference. The indoor contains d3 and that is not something you want to be using every three days.You can overdose your chameleon on that overtime. You should have him tested for parasites as soon as you can to rule that out. how often do you change out your uvb bulb?

eyes problem

mostly crickets occupationally meal and wax worms
he is not over weight. he has not lost any weight yet.
indoor mineral
i change UV bulb every 6 month
he is very strong and doesn't look lethargic at all, just his eyes are crusty shut and beginning to sink. when i put him under water he opens his left eye but with in min he closes it. right eye does not open.

Seeing that you have a bacteria breeding ground in the tank aka water fall, I would bet money he has an eye infection. You need to take him to a vet soon and have him look at it, and medicate it if needed.

Carol covered pretty much everything but I want to say your basking temp is way too low for an adult panther. 85 is baby basking temp, he could cope with 95! He looks very poorly, I would go to a good vet ASAP!

I would try to get some water in him. Drip some water on his nose until he starts to drink. He looks dehydrated because of his eyes, but him being sick can cause his eyes to close also. I would get him to a vet and have him evaluated. Also, for the future if he pulls through, I would start using a plain calcium without d3. Get the mineral outdoor formula. Too much d3 can be a bad thing as they are getting d3 from their uvb sources naturally.

Ok, now I'm not in any way trying to knock your husbandry. This is only constructive.

There are a few issues that other members above have already covered but the other thing that stuck out to me was you stated you feed him bread along with his feeders fruits and veggies. Bread for reptiles is a big no-no. First their stomachs aren't built to digest all the additives and grains in bread. Second, very few people think about this but look at all of the things in bread and to top it off grains are chemically bleached for uniform color. With everything in breads nowadays I don't even let my dogs have it.

If it turns out that your guy is just dehydrated, give him a 15-20min soak in the shower under warm water. Put him on an umbrella plant if you have one turn the water up warm and let him soak. Not only does the water running on the plant and him help but the humidity from the steam of the water will help greatly! I do this once a week with all of our chams that are at least 5months. It helps to hydrate and at the same times is great for their skin and helps with shedding.

Hope your guy makes it. Keep us updated.

I think what she was saying was that most people dont feed their chams that much food and that is the general understanding amount of food to be given to a healthy cham. Its not surprising that the lil guy is not over-weight because he looks pretty ill right now. If he was in good shape chances are he would be somewhat over weight especially given the small size of his cage and lack of room to excercise and walk. I think most everyone pretty much stated the other possibilities. I think right one of the best things you could do first for him would be get some fluids in him. He may be to the point where he won't be willing to take em in himself though and may need some help. Hope he pulls through!

Can you post another photo of your chameleons right arm...i think its showing signs of MBD.

Since the eyes are crusty it may have an eye infection too.

Ok, now I'm not in any way trying to knock your husbandry. This is only constructive.

There are a few issues that other members above have already covered but the other thing that stuck out to me was you stated you feed him bread along with his feeders fruits and veggies. Bread for reptiles is a big no-no. First their stomachs aren't built to digest all the additives and grains in bread. Second, very few people think about this but look at all of the things in bread and to top it off grains are chemically bleached for uniform color. With everything in breads nowadays I don't even let my dogs have it.
If it turns out that your guy is just dehydrated, give him a 15-20min soak in the shower under warm water. Put him on an umbrella plant if you have one turn the water up warm and let him soak. Not only does the water running on the plant and him help but the humidity from the steam of the water will help greatly! I do this once a week with all of our chams that are at least 5months. It helps to hydrate and at the same times is great for their skin and helps with shedding.

Hope your guy makes it. Keep us updated.
he is feeding the crickets bread, not the chameleon.

he is feeding the crickets bread, not the chameleon.

which is still not a great idea

I suggest you vastly improve you're watering/ hydration methods, prey choices, gutloading, and supplementation. all that d3 and no balancing vitamins is probably part of the problem.

you might find these links helpful:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs...pplements.html
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs...utloading.html
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs...nts-brand.html
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/food/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs...verything.html
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs...4-feeders.html

in the meantime, a vet appointment would be a good idea. that animal looks quite unwell

Back
Top Bottom