Please help me sex my Ambanja/Ambilobe panther ! :)

bdpoo2

Hi I am new to the forums and I was wondering if anyone could help me sex my 2.5 month old ( born may 20, 2020 ) Ambanja / Ambilobe panther chameleon :) I was told my baby is a male, and I as well suspect my Cham to be a male because of the slight tail bulge and his slight colors. These pics are not great, it was when I first brought ( him ) home so ( he ) was pretty timid. I can post a better picture in the morning if that's more helpful, thank you !!
I
IMG_3984.jpg

IMG_3973.jpg
IMG_3970.jpg

Okay here's another picture of my little guy to help with identification, I am still pretty sure ( he's ) a boy especially with all the colors he flashed at me while trying to take this picture !
IMG_0722 2.jpeg
IMG_5960 2.jpeg

Yea maybe I’m wrong but those colors seem male.
At that young its very hard to say using colors. But sometimes theres faint reds or greens that can help tell you!

Also I think i see some thickness by the base of the tail. Can you please copy and paste and fill out this husbandry form because he is young and new?

Hi I am new to the forums and I was wondering if anyone could help me sex my 2.5 month old ( born may 20, 2020 ) Ambanja / Ambilobe panther chameleon :) I was told my baby is a male, and I as well suspect my Cham to be a male because of the slight tail bulge and his slight colors. These pics are not great, it was when I first brought ( him ) home so ( he ) was pretty timid. I can post a better picture in the morning if that's more helpful, thank you !!
IView attachment 274041
View attachment 274042View attachment 274043
I see some very faint green. Pretty sure its a male.

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon.Ambanja mom Ambilobe dad, male ?, 2.5 months ( May 20 ). How long has it been in your care?
Ambanja mom Ambilobe dad, male??, 2.5 months ( May 20 ), this is day 2 ( about 24 hours )

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Just putting him in the enclosure, I don't plan on trying to interact with him for 1.5-2 weeks at least.

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
So far he's had 5 extra small BSFL but they aren't very big :/ and he's had a couple wax worms. He hasn't had much interest in the dubias yet, I gutloaded them with carrot and blackberry. Feeding in the morning, but for now I'm going to try to feed him as much as he'll eat up to the afternoon.

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Calci w/o everyday, calci w and reptivite every other Saturday is my plan.

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I have a dripper running throughout the day, and I'm running an automatic mister at 7:45,1:45, 7:45, and 1:45 every 6 hours for 1 min. Yes I have the crappy reptirain, I will upgrade to a mist king once it breaks. My boy has drank a lot especially when I brought him home.

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
He hasn't yet, but I am looking into a fecal test to possibly have done once he does just to be safe since Ive heard horror stories.

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Not that I know of, I got him from a reptile shop, the owner breeds panthers at his home.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Reptibreeze 18x18x36, will upgrade to 2x2x4 once he's older.

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
For UVB I'm using the LINEAR exoterra dual top ( it holds 2 T8 14 Watt 15in bulbs ) and I will be using the linear reptisun 5.0 T5 once the cage upgrades. Also using a 100 watt heat bulb in a holder that has adjustable light settings, so its dimmed. Light schedule is 8:15-8:15.

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Around 72-74 degrees at the bottom 80-82 degrees at the top. Lowest overnight is around 68. I have a temp gun.

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
They are pretty low. Daytime is 50-60% and nighttime is about the same. If you have any advice to bring the temp up at night let me know. The only reason I haven't gotten a fogger is because panthers aren't really supposed to have them from what I've read from the forums. I have a hygrometer and a digital once that I can move around. I plan on attaching two sides of the cage with a shower curtain to keep the water and the humidity in.

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Once umbrella tree ( schefflera arboricola ) I was going to also add in a Pothos, but it won't fit, so that'll be in the cage upgrade.

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
The cage is at the literal highest part of my room, its on top of my dresser, and almost hits the ceiling. I have a ceiling fan that I run on low from time to time.

Location - Where are you geographically located?
Bay Area California.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
I just want to know the gender. My only other two things I could mention is how else can I increase humidity without using a fogger, and he's been screen climbing, Ive seen Gingeros video on it and I am pretty sure he is only climbing it because I scared him while trying to feed him, if it becomes reoccurring then I will bring it up as a true concern, but its only day two so I'm not incredibly worried. One other thing is how long does it usually take your chams to wake up? He took almost an hour to truly start walking around. Thanks !

I finally got a good side picture of my baby :) Hopefully this picture can help to determine if he's 100% a boy ! Thanks for all the help so far.
BTW his name is Karma, I know, super basic, but singing the song every time I say his name makes me so happy I had to haha !
IMG_0548.JPG

@bdpoo2 So I can not even help with this fixture. Are they 5.0 bulbs or 10.0 bulb. It should be printed on the bulb. This does matter and with it being two T8 bulbs and one larger reflector this is going to change output number. @nightanole may be able to give you some feedback on distances with this one.

@bdpoo2 So I can not even help with this fixture. Are they 5.0 bulbs or 10.0 bulb. It should be printed on the bulb. This does matter and with it being two T8 bulbs and one larger reflector this is going to change output number. @nightanole may be able to give you some feedback on distances with this one.
its actually 8.0

Back
Top Bottom