Please help me sex my Ambanja/Ambilobe panther ! :)

The repti glo 8.0 is a rare duck, i didnt even know they made them since they came out with the 10.0 which i think is the same thing, just marketing numbers.

http://www.martinsreptiles.co.uk/ukchams/intro_uvlighting_tests.pdf

While is impossible to do a direct conversion, its a around a 40:1 for converting um2 to UVI. A dual single reflector T8 is going to put out 140% of a single.

Running some numbers, a repi glo 8.0 is a carbon copy of a zoomed reptisun 5.0.

Im not going to tell you how to live your life, but if the cage is taller than 2ft, i would not use that bulb, either single or dual. Its really meant for "tanks" that are 18" tall, so that the lizard can crawl on the floor and get zero uvb, and still hang on the screen and not get nuked. SO your 8.0 is really a gecko/anole bulb, its not for a cham in a 3-4ft tall cage.

Plus i think its a white reflector, not a chrome one...

The repti glo 8.0 is a rare duck, i didnt even know they made them since they came out with the 10.0 which i think is the same thing, just marketing numbers.

http://www.martinsreptiles.co.uk/ukchams/intro_uvlighting_tests.pdf

While is impossible to do a direct conversion, its a around a 40:1 for converting um2 to UVI. A dual single reflector T8 is going to put out 140% of a single.

Running some numbers, a repi glo 8.0 is a carbon copy of a zoomed reptisun 5.0.

Im not going to tell you how to live your life, but if the cage is taller than 2ft, i would not use that bulb, either single or dual. Its really meant for "tanks" that are 18" tall, so that the lizard can crawl on the floor and get zero uvb, and still hang on the screen and not get nuked. SO your 8.0 is really a gecko/anole bulb, its not for a cham in a 3-4ft tall cage.
The OP said that they have an 18x18x36 and will upgrade to a 2x2x4 when he gets older.

The OP said that they have an 18x18x36 and will upgrade to a 2x2x4 when he gets older.

OP has a reptisun T8 5.0 basically. So that means plenty of D3 supplements and like .5 UVI with a fresh bulb at 10". Same as i had in the 1990's. The formula still works today. OP will have a happy cham, but needs medium dose D3 and needs to rig up the cage so the cham hangs (literally from the ceiling) out in the top 1/3 of the cage. In six months throw the whole thing away (bulbs are dead by then any away putting out .25 uvi at 10") and switch to the new standard of a 2x2x4 with a T5 HO 5.0/6%.

OP has a reptisun T8 5.0 basically. So that means plenty of D3 supplements and like .5 UVI with a fresh bulb at 10". Same as i had in the 1990's. The formula still works today. OP will have a happy cham, but needs medium dose D3 and needs to rig up the cage so the cham hangs (literally from the ceiling) out in the top 1/3 of the cage. In six months throw the whole thing away (bulbs are dead by then any away putting out .25 uvi at 10") and switch to the new standard of a 2x2x4 with a T5 HO 5.0/6%.
wouldn't it be easier to ditch the thing now and just buy a t5 5.0 6% rather than rig up the cage like that? Or use it while it has life and not waste it?

@bdpoo2 you have a descision to make.

From what I understand you can

1. Just ditch your current uvb and buy the more commonly used t5ho 5.0 6% and will need to have the basking spot 9 inches away from the light.

2. keep your current uvb for the next 6 months but he will need to be very very close to the lights to get proper supplementation and uvb.

wouldn't it be easier to ditch the thing now and just buy a t5 5.0 6% rather than rig up the cage like that? Or use it while it has life and not waste it?

1. Just ditch your current uvb and buy the more commonly used t5ho 5.0 6% and will need to have the basking spot 9 inches away from the light.

2. keep your current uvb for the next 6 months but he will need to be very very close to the lights to get proper supplementation and uvb.

Yup, its why i said im not going to tell you how to live your life. But i dont have "baby/starter" cages either. Id just bite the bullet, spend the cost of 1 vet visit and get the adult stuff now, and maybe lift the floor 2ft to make it a 2ft cube, if they feel there little darling is not ready for a full cage yet.

He was hanging from the ceiling for a couple hours yesterday, so that means what he did yesterday was good because he was getting the proper UVB ? Also I will be dusting with D3 twice a month :)

Yup, its why i said im not going to tell you how to live your life. But i dont have "baby/starter" cages either. Id just bite the bullet, spend the cost of 1 vet visit and get the adult stuff now, and maybe lift the floor 2ft to make it a 2ft cube, if they feel there little darling is not ready for a full cage yet.
in my opinion if she has an 18x18x36 already then might as well put it to use.

in my opinion if she has an 18x18x36 already then might as well put it to use.

Oh i agree. At no point did i say buy new stuff. Im just reviewing whats going to happen in six months. There is still 6 months of use left in her setup. And she's saying hes having fun hanging directly under the bulb like most babies do.

I mean what are you going to do, piece meal it and buy a 22" (24" hood), have it hover over the cage 6" so the baby is not dangling in the danger zone, and have it stick out like 6" on either side?

The only warning is she is going to need medium dose D3. This is a perfect time for that rapashy Calcium Plus LoD till the big boy light comes in six months :)

Oh i agree. At no point did i say buy new stuff. Im just reviewing whats going to happen in six months. There is still 6 months of use left in her setup. And she's saying hes having fun hanging directly under the bulb like most babies do.

I mean what are you going to do, piece meal it and buy a 22" (24" hood), have it hover over the cage 6" so the baby is not dangling in the danger zone, and have it stick out like 6" on either side?

The only warning is she is going to need medium dose D3. This is a perfect time for that rapashy Calcium Plus LoD till the big boy light comes in six months :)
thank you for your help !

Back
Top Bottom