please help me my chameleon is looking deathly ill

ChamChiefin

I went to a vet two days ago where they prescribed eye ointment for his eye infection and wet food to make force feeding easier. The vet prescribed royal canin recovery rs dog/cat wet food....I even double checked with the vet, there was also no limit to how much I should feed, just not too much the vet said. After two days of feeding this to my chameleon he started twitching a little on the second day, haven't noticed this since 8:00pm eastern time today which was the first time. I started surfing the web and couldn't come up with anyone reviewing or recommending this to any reptile let alone a chameleon please someone help. he also was displaying a really bright white streak along his body and began growing limp like he was falling asleep on the branch.

What vet did you go to? I'm not a vet, and I've only been keeping for 3 years, but I can help a little bit.

What ointment did they prescribe?

As far as the dog/cat food....stop it immediately. You can either make bug juice or go to the pet store and get reptiboost(I think its called). I would try and find a different vet because this one doesn't seem to me to know a thing about chameleons.

I am so so sorry about what you are going through. Stop the wet food and either get reptiboost or take crickets (or whatever feeder it is you use) and blend them up. I think it is either member Laurie or Olimpia that has the recipe for bug juice.

A nice long warm shower couldn't hurt either.

Dog/ cat food is high in protein. Chams dont do so well with alot of protein.

I suggest finding another vet.

bug juice

Okay, this is Laurie's recipe, not in any way shape or form mine.

Get ensure and some pedialyte from the store (like Walmart), mix them 50/50. Mix with crickets and put altogether in a blender. Strain out the cricket chunks and put it in a dripper. Feed him 5-6 times a day, bit only a little bit at a time.

Again, this is Laurie's recipe, not mine.

What vet did you go to? I'm not a vet, and I've only been keeping for 3 years, but I can help a little bit.

What ointment did they prescribe?

As far as the dog/cat food....stop it immediately. You can either make bug juice or go to the pet store and get reptiboost(I think its called). I would try and find a different vet because this one doesn't seem to me to know a thing about chameleons.

I am so so sorry about what you are going through. Stop the wet food and either get reptiboost or take crickets (or whatever feeder it is you use) and blend them up. I think it is either member Laurie or Olimpia that has the recipe for bug juice.

A nice long warm shower couldn't hurt either.
bane field vet clinic is where I took him, has anyone heard of this recovery stuff being used to treat mal nourished reptiles? if it turns out that this is in fact harmful to him (believe me I am throwing this recovery crap away) they will deal with the federal business bureau and one pissed off pet owner.

Perhaps one of the vets will let you know about it in regards to other reptiles but no, I've never heard about this being recommended for chameleons. Like others have said, chameleons react negatively to too much animal protein so whenever a vet recommends a liquid diet it's usually a herbivore diet (like for iguanas) since it's much safer for chams to live on for a few days.

I can't say that this diet is what is making your chameleon so sick so soon but it may be.

Back
Top Bottom