Please help, Jackson chameleon really sick

Shoki

So I bought a 7 month old female jackson from a breeder in Florida. She's had problems shooting her tongue ever since she showed up home. Breeder said he had no knowledge of it.
Around a week ago, or about 6 days, she was eating well and drinking. She was basking well and hiding, seeming to be recovering from acting a bit odd previously, I couldnt get her to the vet.

Her mouth seems to be rotting? I honestly don't know.

I use a liner 5.0 uvb bulb from reptisun and a 75watt heat bulb. I use a fogger at night and sometimes during the morning, I dont have a humidity gauge. She has a dripper and sometimes i forget to mist, but she always has a dripper on.

Lights are left on 12hrs a day, sometimes longer because I get busy with work.

Her diet is mealworms, Blue bottle fly larva, wax worms, small horn worms and crickets.

She gets supplemented once or twice a month with a multivitamin w/o vit A. She gets calcium without D3, but sometimes I give her calcium W/ D3.

Attachments

• 20210212_222029.jpg
    20210212_222029.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 97
  • 20210212_213405.jpg
    20210212_213405.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 95
So I bought a 7 month old female jackson from a breeder in Florida. She's had problems shooting her tongue ever since she showed up home. Breeder said he had no knowledge of it.
Around a week ago, or about 6 days, she was eating well and drinking. She was basking well and hiding, seeming to be recovering from acting a bit odd previously, I couldnt get her to the vet.

Her mouth seems to be rotting? I honestly don't know.

I use a liner 5.0 uvb bulb from reptisun and a 75watt heat bulb. I use a fogger at night and sometimes during the morning, I dont have a humidity gauge. She has a dripper and sometimes i forget to mist, but she always has a dripper on.

Lights are left on 12hrs a day, sometimes longer because I get busy with work.

Her diet is mealworms, Blue bottle fly larva, wax worms, small horn worms and crickets.

She gets supplemented once or twice a month with a multivitamin w/o vit A. She gets calcium without D3, but sometimes I give her calcium W/ D3.
Her enclosure right now is pretty small, but so is she. She does have a 2x2x5' enclosure for when shes bigger. She has golden pothos plants and a corn plant, the rest are fake. She has real sticks in her enclosure but I sterilized them and my male vieled seems to have no problems. Pls help

At this point, you should make an appt to an experienced vet. While these forums are made to help, the people here cannot diagnose your chameleon the way a vet can. If your cham is showing extreme signs of sickness, it's health has deteriorated past being able to change a basking light or a uvb bulb. You need a vet.

I dont have any experience with Jacksons, however if there are things you know you are forgetting in your chams routine you should look into automating those parts of the routine. For example, a timer for the lights and for misting I would look into a mistking. It's understandable to forget things once in a while, but if you are making a habit of it you can be compromising your chameleons health. Just a thought.

If you fill this form out there will be others who are experienced with Jacksons that can point you in the right direction to correcting your husbandry. After a vet visit, you at least have a good set up for the cham to return to.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom