Please help! Is she gravid?

I’m a new chameleon owner and a bit overwhelmed. Got her at petco. They told me she was a male and “under a year” was all they could tell me for age but I’m guessing she was about 4-5 months. She is now approx 6-7 months but I could be way off. She has no Spurs which is how I sexed her. She has been extremely picky with feeders for the last 2-3 weeks. Did not want super worms, horn worms, BFL, wax worms, etc. usually she’ll try everything but always prefers meal worms as her main source which makes me sad. For about a week now she will not eat more than a few meal worms every couple of days. I def over fed her now that I’m researching and now that we are going on two weeks of no good interest I’m getting worried about her not getting supplements. I should mention we had a traumatizing experience where her heat light went out and I didn’t notice and it could have been for a day, maybe a couple. I bought a temp gun and her basking branch is at 80 but only right under the heat lamp (using zoomed 60w) the rest is around 75. She seems hydrated as her urates are a great color but I haven’t seen her normal poops just little dry pellet type poops a couple days ago. I am prepping a bin in case she is gravid, but is she too young? She also keep hanging upside down from her umbrella tree and staring in the pot and shooting her tongue as if to be looking for bugs but not interested in her bowl of food. She has always been fearful and does not come out of her cage or let me hold her unless I trick her on to climbing on a branch I’m holding. I tried this yesterday to clean her enclosure and put the bin in and she strikes my fingers (she hates my fingers for some reason) and I’m terrified of her so I chickened out. Please tell me your opinions on if she is female, and gravid? I took some photos of her just now and she was climbing her mesh. This is not something she ever does so I was shocked and she puffed up as soon as she saw my phone.
20EAEB01-5F35-46A9-B7D1-55A6287C5CE7.jpeg
F5AEAF73-8248-49EF-9DE1-5C525A85B3CC.jpeg
5A2BBA13-672A-4B47-84BB-88FFAA2019D2.jpeg
56D28F8B-4FB1-43D7-AB3F-059F32649068.jpeg

I don't have experience in this area so I won't comment further than what others have told me and the research I have done. Many times pet stores do not properly sex chameleons and don't give you the correct age, I'm not sure why. So I wouldn't be surprised if they gave you incorrect info on both his/her age and sex. Many do say that before chams lay eggs they act super strange, that MIGHT be why her eating habits are off. I will not comment further on this but everything I have stated has been said by several experienced keepers. I'll @ some people who are very informed. @Beman @ERKleRose @Gingero

I do not have much experience with female veileds, but she looks angry from her colouration. Please fill out the attached husbandry form so we can help you.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

Chameleon Info:
  • I think she is female and my guess is maybe 6-7 months I’ve had her for 2 months
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Once a week to deep clean her enclosure
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Meal worms daily mostly bc it’s her preference, dubias when I can get them, horn worms once weekly, she doesn’t like super worms anymore, black fly larvae but she won’t eat them. Feed her in a dish and hand feed when she’s in a happy mood. I gut load with carrots, apples, dandelion greens, zuchinni
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Daily with repti calcium no D3, bi monthly calcium w/D3 and interchangeably bi monthly with Rep Cal Herbtivite multivitamins
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I mist 2-3x daily by hand for 2 mins and she has a dripper 1x daily for 10 mins I have seen her drink but only if she is under the mister
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? She was popping daily is was solid but not dry, lately poops every other day and it is small and dry. She has not been tested for parasites
Her temperament has always been that she does not like to be handled but seems to trust me when I have to go in her enclosure she knows I will move slow and give her space. I have a cat she sometimes minds and sometimes doesn’t (my cat doesn’t notice her) so I cover her enclosure with a room divider
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? She has a reptibreeze chameleon kit. It’s mesh and I plan to upgrade soon
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? She has a flukers 60w daylight heat bulb and a 5.0 T5 HO linear UVB light. Lights are on a timer and turn on at off at 7am-7pm
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I have a temp gun and her basking branch is usually 79-80 and bottom of enclosure is 70-73
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I do not have anything to measure humidity but it’s on it’s way! I just make sure her enclosure isn’t dry and run a humidifier in my living room 1x mid day
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Yes she has a money tree, snake plant, draceana, and rubber plant, and two other tiny chameleon safe plants from Josh’s frogs but I don’t remember the names.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Her cage is on a 30in in height table, there are no fans or vents, she is in the livingroom but I cover her sight with room divider most of the time.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? I am in California

Hi and welcome. Firstly you will need get a lay bin in ASAP as a permanent fixture either organic soil or washed playsand or a 50/50 mix . Also get a humidity gauge as you will want to provide correct humidity 30 to 50 % max during the day. This can can go up to 80/ 100 at night i would also recommend a wired temp probe. You can get dual gauges. mealworms are not recommended but may not be a problem in moderation. Can you get crickets. As you have a female you will want to keep your basking area 78/80 f no higher. also watch the amount and how often you feed your girl as high temperature and over feeding can produce more eggs and put more strain on your girls body and decrease lifespan. Can you add pictures of your full enclosure top to bottom. Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210115-215443_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210115-215443_Chrome.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 93
  • Screenshot_20200820-133907_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200820-133907_Chrome.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 95
Hi and welcome. Firstly you will need get a lay bin in ASAP as a permanent fixture either organic soil or washed playsand or a 50/50 mix . Also get a humidity gauge as you will want to provide correct humidity 30 to 50 % max during the day. This can can go up to 80/ 100 at night i would also recommend a wired temp probe. You can get dual gauges. mealworms are not recommended but may not be a problem in moderation. Can you get crickets. As you have a female you will want to keep your basking area 78/80 f no higher. also watch the amount and how often you feed your girl as high temperature and over feeding can produce more eggs and put more strain on your girls body and decrease lifespan. Can you add pictures of your full enclosure top to bottom. Thanks
I did add a lay bin today. I filled it with organic washed play sand and also put a camera on the outside of her enclosure so I can watch her without disturbing her. She climbed down multiple times to investigate but from what I saw never actually dug or went completely in the bin yet. I think I have been over feeding her as she was always such a good eater and read when they are under a year to feed them as much as they will eat. Possibly bad advice. It has been quite awhile since she has eaten anything at all (I think about a week?) maybe eating one or two meal worms. I have tried not giving her meal worms and I know they are not recommended but as I stated above, for a time it was the only feeder she would eat. I have dubias coming soon and she does like those but they have been difficult to get they are always out of stock. I have a temperature probe, is that better than the gun?

I did add a lay bin today. I filled it with organic washed play sand and also put a camera on the outside of her enclosure so I can watch her without disturbing her. She climbed down multiple times to investigate but from what I saw never actually dug or went completely in the bin yet. I think I have been over feeding her as she was always such a good eater and read when they are under a year to feed them as much as they will eat. Possibly bad advice. It has been quite awhile since she has eaten anything at all (I think about a week?) maybe eating one or two meal worms but it’s hard to tell because I have found a few that I thought she ate but later found escaped out of her dish. I have tried not giving her meal worms and I know they are not recommended but as I stated above, for a time it was the only feeder she would eat. I have dubias coming soon and she does like those but they have been difficult to get they are always out of stock. I have a temperature probe, is that better than the gun?

I haven’t time to look over your husbandry, but you need to get the lay bin prepared and in her enclosure ASAP. She is either receptive and looking for a mate or is gravid and needing to lay her eggs. Better to err on the side of caution and put in the bin now.
I did that today and she went down several times and looked at it but so far I haven’t seen her dig or anything. Fingers crossed she will be more interested today

I don't have experience in this area so I won't comment further than what others have told me and the research I have done. Many times pet stores do not properly sex chameleons and don't give you the correct age, I'm not sure why. So I wouldn't be surprised if they gave you incorrect info on both his/her age and sex. Many do say that before chams lay eggs they act super strange, that MIGHT be why her eating habits are off. I will not comment further on this but everything I have stated has been said by several experienced keepers. I'll @ some people who are very informed. @Beman @ERKleRose @Gingero
Thank you! Big fan of @Gingero videos and have watched almost all of them!

Also I read that gravid females show colors of blue. From what I can tell, I have never seen her look blue. Here is another photo of her from today.

Attachments

• 46790385-CDFF-46C6-B6B6-AF53ECCE0D6E.jpeg
    46790385-CDFF-46C6-B6B6-AF53ECCE0D6E.jpeg
    193.5 KB · Views: 102
I do not have much experience with female veileds, but she looks angry from her colouration. Please fill out the attached husbandry form so we can help you.

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
She was mad. She is scared of my phone so it’s difficult to get photos of her without her getting annoyed :/

Also I read that gravid females show colors of blue. From what I can tell, I have never seen her look blue. Here is another photo of her from today.
Each lady will have her own coloration and patterns. I have 2 that look completely different from each other. Mine usually show their blues and yellow/mustard colors more when receptive. When gravid, the only thing consistent is their dots darken. Here’s my ladies to better illustrate.
Grumpy receptive 43BC148B-243D-49DE-B443-A8888A9B2AD1.jpeg
Grumpy gravid
4846437B-49EB-400C-A637-1858D9A1695E.jpeg
Stella receptive
964958C8-CC6D-4B33-A89B-F3D9BDE7A676.jpeg
Stella gravid
D9D0C0F0-7F9D-4C24-872B-689272DC876C.jpeg

Each lady will have her own coloration and patterns. I have 2 that look completely different from each other. Mine usually show their blues and yellow/mustard colors more when receptive. When gravid, the only thing consistent is their dots darken. Here’s my ladies to better illustrate.
Grumpy receptiveView attachment 295754
Grumpy gravid
View attachment 295755
Stella receptive
View attachment 295756
Stella gravid
View attachment 295757
My cat is named Stella! Very cute chams you have. She has been extremely colorful with spots! Especially in the morning. It’s almost like she is annoyed but in the morning is when she is the most unbothered and no one is around. Photo below for reference. Usually when I go in to feed her or check her space out she goes to a neutral light green shade again. Thank you for the helpful answers!

Attachments

• 7C4621C8-6335-402F-8ECA-A166F42BD2C6.jpeg
    7C4621C8-6335-402F-8ECA-A166F42BD2C6.jpeg
    189.8 KB · Views: 100
My cat is named Stella! Very cute chams you have. She has been extremely colorful with spots! Especially in the morning. It’s almost like she is annoyed but in the morning is when she is the most unbothered and no one is around. Photo below for reference. Usually when I go in to feed her or check her space out she goes to a neutral light green shade again. Thank you for the helpful answers!
She’s so pretty! 🥰 About when did she first start showing her colors? The receptive period usually starts about 3+ weeks before being gravid/nearing laying (although again, each cham may have very varied time between the two).

She’s so pretty! 🥰 About when did she first start showing her colors? The receptive period usually starts about 3+ weeks before being gravid/nearing laying (although again, each cham may have very varied time between the two).
I’m not really sure. I’m just now learning of “showing her colors”. She has always been so vivid with colors and patterns that change all the time but I would say for about 2-3 weeks my roommate and I kept commenting on how weird it was that when we would go out to see her in the morning or during the day “he” (was told I had a male) was always spotted and looked crazy. I even thought she maybe though her dripper tube was a predator or something but she seemed relaxed. It makes so much sense now with what you are saying. I was watching the camera I have on her this morning and she is constantly going down in to the bin but not yet seen her dig. She did lick up some sand though, just one more thing to stress about 😣

I’m not really sure. I’m just now learning of “showing her colors”. She has always been so vivid with colors and patterns that change all the time but I would say for about 2-3 weeks my roommate and I kept commenting on how weird it was that when we would go out to see her in the morning or during the day “he” (was told I had a male) was always spotted and looked crazy. I even thought she maybe though her dripper tube was a predator or something but she seemed relaxed. It makes so much sense now with what you are saying. I was watching the camera I have on her this morning and she is constantly going down in to the bin but not yet seen her dig. She did lick up some sand though, just one more thing to stress about 😣
When she’s ready, she’ll start digging. I’d suggest covering up just the lower half or third of her enclosure so she has privacy if she needs it. They won’t dig if they think we’re watching.

As miss skittles mentioned all can be different my girl panther shows red dots
Wow that must look cool! Today she has sudden had no interest in climbing around. She has been at her basking branch all day. I dug a starter hole to see if it helps her figure it out. I haven’t seen poop in so long I’m trying not to panic

Back
Top Bottom