Please help I'm really worried

I know that you are babysitting but just a suggestion: look at the proper way to set up a cage. It seems to me he may have fell off his branches. There's a lot of loose end branches where he could easily fall. Not trying to be rude at all. It's hard to tell someone's tone from a message :(

He's got a big white blotch on his side near his back legs. It somewhat changes color with him, and I think it looks like a bruise. Unfortunately, I can't take any pictures right now. He's still being pretty lethargic, but he's at least reacting when people are in the room. He sleeps a lot but when I go to check on him he opens his eyes and watches me.

That's a few day now he has been like this. How long are you looking after him? Judging by his cage his owner has limited knowledge of Cham keeping. Is he eating and drinking? Is he moving about? I feel that if he has any chance of survival he needs to see a vet ASAP :(

For a while he wasn't eating, but I got him to eat three crickets yesterday and one this morning. He's been drinking water this whole time. He tasted a blueberry, but didn't like it so he spat it out. It's strange, aside from not moving much, he seems to be getting better. Maybe he's got an injury?? Maybe it's the bruise looking thing?? We want to take him to a vet, but we're completely broke. :(

It's good he is eating and drinking. Yes he could have hurt himself when he fell. What are the names of his supplements and how often are you dusting his crickets?

A few days before he fell ill, I dusted all his crickets with Zoo Med's Reptivite with D3 but I don't know if he actually ate any of them. I don't know how long he'll be with me because his owner's...well to put it bluntly she's kind of homeless right now. So I'll probably have him for a while.

You can use what you have TWICE A MONTH. And get some plain calcium without d3 to dust daily. Place a soft towel on the bottom of his viv and discourage him from climbing till he is a bit stronger. If he has had d3 daily he will be overdosed. Chams do need d3 but in very tiny amounts , that's why we give it twice a month. They are very sensitive to it. It's very good that you have agreed to look after him for your friend. :)

Alright, I'll see if I can buy him some regular calcium. What's a viv? He's been sitting on a branch for a while and he sometimes turns around, but he stays in the same spot. Should I pick him up and put him on the floor of the cage? He just ate another cricket too. :)

No if he looks safe leave him be. Because you think he had a fall I was thinking safety. The towel will give him a soft landing. A viv is short for vivarium. Great he is eating.:)

Alright, towels are in place. I'm going out now so I'll pick up some calcium while I'm gone. Thanks for all your help. :)

Your doing good! Kee hydrated especially if he/she was getting d3 everyday. Water is going to be the best thing for him and his kidneys, push fluids so important now. Also, if he is moving around a bit you can try and take him outside for little bits at a time. Sunlight seems to be great for sick chams, especially now he is getting some energy back! Also its a good idea to offer some fruits like you did, he may like strawberries better. This will encourage food consumption and also provide hydration for him as well. Good luck and your doing great! Definately stay away from the d3 for now!

I just got back home (forgot the calcium, but I'm going out again in an hour or so) and seems to be getting tired again. I also took him out in the sunlight and I think he liked that. How long should I have him out there? The suns pretty intense here in AZ so I'm worried about him getting sunburn.

By the way, when he eats he's not actually getting the food himself. He'll only eat if I hand feed him. Sorry I thought I already mentioned that but I guess not.

The sunshine it great. Just take a mist bottle and keep him misted. How high is the temp? If it is over 100 you need to keep him misted almost the whole time he is out. I would try for 3 or 4 hours. But 1 Hour at a time.

With his crickets, can you put some veggies in with them? Just use what you have, tell me what you have and I will figure it out. The best things are fresh greens, like kale, collard greens, or mustard greens. Most of us don't have those handy but maybe some carrots, they need to be fresh uncooked, peeled and chopped up.

i live in az, i just try to do outdoor time as early as i can get my chams awake...
like 7-9 am. fwiw.

Here I made a list of all the produce in my house:

Blueberries (some of the berries are a bit sour so that might have been why he rejected it)
Diced Mango/Mandarin oranges in light syrup
Green beans
Green pepper
Grape Jelly
A very ripe banana
Peach
Cucumber
Tomato
Clementines
Lettuce
Mushrooms
Fruit yogurt
Orange Juice
And a frozen bag of asparagus, gold/white corn, and baby carrots

Would I feed this stuff to him or the crickets? Both? I give the crickets Nature Zone Total Bites but they don't seem too interested.

Back
Top Bottom