Please help extremely thin panther chameleon

Kaechele

Hi I have a 2 year old male panther chameleon that is losing weight and is extremely thin. He has an extreme apitite and gets feed very day. I feed him a mix of duba roaches, orange roaches, and meal worms. He has had several fecal samples done with negative results. If any one has any experience with anything like this please respond. He is also extremely hydrated and produces very white urates.

The only thing I was thinking was parasites. I know there are different types of fecals that can be done. Was it a fecal float?

The only thing I was thinking was parasites. I know there are different types of fecals that can be done. Was it a fecal float?

It would make sense that a parasite could be eating the food, and not the cham himself. Do they have to test for specific parasites? Or does the test identify that there is a parasite, and then the veterinarians figure out which one it is?

How much are you feeding him?

Fill this out for more detailed responses:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

copy and paste it, then put your info in.

Update

I just got back from taking my boy to an emergency exotic vet clinic they also did a fecal test with nothing showing they did give him antiparasitic meds so im hopeing that it helps him out. Some of the other info asked fromm me:
He has a diet if Dunia oange roaches and meal worms fed every day and gets offered as much as he is willing to eat.
Enclosure is a 48×36 screen enclosure with a zoomed reptisun 5.0 uvb bulb, a 75w CHE and a 100w zoo med basking light. He does have a 1g dipper on at all times
Along with a fogger and a hydrotherma that keeps his cage at an 82% humidity as well as a 75° temp in tho coller area.
basking spot stays between 85-95°
rite now he only gets handled once a day and only to mover him into a heated enclosure at night due to extremely low house Temps.
I am located in washington state
what other types of bugs are recommended for him at this moment? Any other tips to get him on the rite track ?

How low are your temps that he needs to go into another heated enclosure? Have you always done this???

Temps are well below 50° in coller areas I just started for the past couple of days to keep him comfy today I am adding a cover to his enclosure to keep heat in at night

I recently had a discussion about parasites with Little Leaf, who is a very experienced chameleon keeper. She told me that she had one rescue that kept having fecals that were negative for parasites, but her gut kept telling her the chameleon had a parasite load. I'm going by memory of the conversation, so maybe she could chime in and set the record straight, but my understanding is they did everything to look at those fecals, including spinning them down. The single-celled parasite showed up when they looked at the bottom of the fecal sample.

Are you sure of the age?

Good luck.

I just got back from taking my boy to an emergency exotic vet clinic they also did a fecal test with nothing showing they did give him antiparasitic meds so im hopeing that it helps him out. Some of the other info asked fromm me:
He has a diet if Dunia oange roaches and meal worms fed every day and gets offered as much as he is willing to eat.
Enclosure is a 48×36 screen enclosure with a zoomed reptisun 5.0 uvb bulb, a 75w CHE and a 100w zoo med basking light. He does have a 1g dipper on at all times
Along with a fogger and a hydrotherma that keeps his cage at an 82% humidity as well as a 75° temp in tho coller area.
basking spot stays between 85-95°
rite now he only gets handled once a day and only to mover him into a heated enclosure at night due to extremely low house Temps.
I am located in washington state
what other types of bugs are recommended for him at this moment? Any other tips to get him on the rite track ?

As of now he has had 5 fecal tests with no signs the vet went ahead and gave antiparacetic med that would cover just about anything he may have I say paracite due to his extreme aptite and overall alertness if it was liver or kidney failure he would be doing nothing and probably would have passed away by this time.

Back
Top Bottom