please help elroy!

CodyBaz

Is this early signs of MBD??? His 1 elbow has almost like a curve with 2 points compared to his other 1 which is normal looking as ours are. I am very concerned. I dust his food once a week with calcium +D3 and have a UV bulb at the top of the enclosure which is 4'*2'*2' im wondering if i need another UV light just in case this is early signs??? Please help me out with any suggestions. I will attach pics 1 is of his good side and one is of the abnormal elbow.

Attachments

• Ottawa-20120626-00202.jpg
    Ottawa-20120626-00202.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 132
  • Ottawa-20120626-00203.jpg
    Ottawa-20120626-00203.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 94
The first picture looks like MBD. He needs calcium without D3 at every feeding and calcium with d3 twice a month and a multi vitamin twice a month. What kind of UVB light do you have. I would highly recommend the Reptisun5.0 and plenty of outside time if your weather permits. My blog below should help you get this little one back on track.
Shttps://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/jannb/325-info-new-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

Hmmm, it does look a lil disfigured. When is the last time you changed the bulb? They have a lifespan of approx 6 months. Good luck if it is in fact MBD.

Sorry to hear that, hopefully someone else can give u better advice with more experience on this matter but for now u need to make sure your cham is getting calcium every time u feed it as we recommend w/o d3 daily and with d/3 twice a month.

Is this early signs of MBD??? His 1 elbow has almost like a curve with 2 points compared to his other 1 which is normal looking as ours are. I am very concerned. I dust his food once a week with calcium +D3 and have a UV bulb at the top of the enclosure which is 4'*2'*2' im wondering if i need another UV light just in case this is early signs??? Please help me out with any suggestions. I will attach pics 1 is of his good side and one is of the abnormal elbow.
I lost my first Veiled to MBD, is he staying low in his cage? Have you noticed him falling?

Thanks for the comments. I have 2 5.0 on him now i had 1 before. I give him the multi vitamin and i have just the calcium supplement as well but i got off of it because i got the d3 but im glad i know know about the reg calcium. His bulb was about 3 mnths old and the 1 i just put in is brand new so hopefully it will end here and i can take all the advise into consideration. I love my chams dearly and my girl is as healthy as they come but this is my first snag with Elroy. Thanks guys for everything.

Bro you can always try something out. I purchased a vitamin D ONLY if he is lacking on UVB you can try this and it also has a dropper with it. But of course this should be suggested by your Vet. This is look like an early sign of mbd as you can tell on the photo, if you do have time to go to the vet i suggest just take him. Write down all your questions so that this Vet visit would be a one time deal unless he requires you to bring him back for further check up. This forum has a lot to offer, just wait and you will see more great suggestions. Good luck bro.

Bro you can always try something out. I purchased a vitamin D ONLY if he is lacking on UVB you can try this and it also has a dropper with it. But of course this should be suggested by your Vet.
I would not do this unless a vet recommends it and provides exact dosage information. Too much vit D is just as bad as too little. Most MBD cases require an increase in calcium, not vit D.

That is strange that the MBD is only present on one side. It looks like the front and back leg have MBD from that picture.

When a chameleon has MBD you need to correct it and at the same time make sure that your husbandry is right.

The quickest way to correct it is to have the vet give it injections of calcium until the blood calcium levels are high enough to give it now injection of calcitonin to draw the calcium back into the bones.

It's important to dust most feedings with a phos-free calcium powder since most feeder insects have a poor ratio of calcium to phos.

Dusting twice a month with a phos-free calcium / D3 powder willensure that the chameleon gets some D3 without overdoing it and leaving it to produce the rest through its exposure to the UVB. D3 from supplements can build up in the system. Vitamin A and D3 need to being balance or there can be health issues too.

Dusting twice a month with a vitamin powder with a beta carotene source of vitamin A will ensure that it gets its vitamins without overdosing the vitamin A and leaving the owner in control of the prEformed vitamin A.

Appropriate light, temperature, what you gutload insects with also play a part in the balance.

Agree with above post. He does show signs of mbd.

1. Correct all husbandry issues
2. Buy some calcionate (Liquid caclium). If the animal has an appetite. DAILY: Inject a few feeders with this and make sure they are eaten. if the animal does not have an appetite. I would suggest force feeding. many different techniques cn be used. Try dripping on the tip of the mouth. This stuff is sticky once dried so you want to rinse this or wipe it off with a wet cloth. You can also manually force this. I would draw around 0.1 to 0.2 to administer. Be extremely slow at this. A drop at a time.
3. Natural sunlight as much as possible. If this is not possible i would recommend buy a new uvb bulb (tube or mvb).

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom