Please help! Cham's Eyes are Swelling

ClassyInCurls

Hello Everyone, my name is Chelsea and I could really use your help!

My 2 month old veiled, Einstein, is experiencing an issue with his eyes. They look as though there is fluid behind them. They swells up so big when he rubs them, I’m so worried for him. Origionally it was just his right eye, but this morning I noticed his left eye has started swelling too.

I’ve done a lot of research as to what might be going on. The most obvious was that there is something in his eye. I used to have coconut substrate in his enclosure, but I quickly switched it out for some blank paper temporarily. I also read that the Vetericyn Plus Eye Wash was great for cleaning and relieving their irritated eyes. I’ve used that for the past three days, but I can’t say whether it’s helping yet or not.

I also read that the problem might be a blockage in his nasolacrimal gland, which is sometimes caused by a lack of Vitamin A. So I bought Vitamin A soft gels and gave him barely a drop on a wax worm, four days ago.

I’m just not sure what to do next. Do I wait? Is there anything else it might be or something I could do? I’m so scared for him. He’s the sweetest thing ever! He’s friendly, loves being held rather than sitting in his cage...he even waves hello! I mean come on!

Thank you for any help you can offer! I’ve thought about taking him to the vet, but some people on here advise against it apparently? I just don’t know what to do. I’ll post some pictures/videos next so you can see what’s going on.

Thank you for your help!!

You should place your cham in a shower on a plant. Aim the shower against the shower wall and let him sit in there a good while. Make sure the water is not hot at all, just room temp. Do you mist him? Chams need to clean their eyes during a long mist session.

if cleaning it for the past 3 days hasn't really worked then you should take him to the vet. there could be an infection. Vets are the ones that can really tell you what the problem is. chameleons eyes need to be cleaned and can get fussy a lot of the time, minor scratches that we can't see, get bacteria in them. or like you said it could be Vitamin A. but definitely see a vet at this point before it gets worse.

Also, him rubbing his eye like that against your finger, is him trying to get it to stop bothering him is clear he's uncomfortable. poor baby, I hope he feels better!

You should place your cham in a shower on a plant. Aim the shower against the shower wall and let him sit in there a good while. Make sure the water is not hot at all, just room temp. Do you mist him? Chams need to clean their eyes during a long mist session.
Allow me to clarify what Tim meant to say... that is a lot of swelling, he is in desperate need of a vet. Preferably an exotic vet and tomorrow morning.

Being that it is both eyes it is probbably not trash which is about the only eye issue that can be safely fixed at home. You can do the shower as suggested by Tim but understand that this will only provide a small bit of temporary relief, if any. A shower will likely only give him relief from one of the symptoms but will not do much to resolve the matter.

I can give you a lot better help if you fill out this form, it will help us pinpoint the cause...

Please fill out the “how to ask for help” form and post your answers back here. Quality pictures will help us help you.

Chameleon Info:

◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?

◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

◦ Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?

◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

◦ Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1 The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

2 Photos can be very helpful.

Last edited:
Please fill out the Ask For Help Form above. Where do you live? I might be able to recommend a vet with chameleon experience.

Back
Top Bottom