Please help!! Chameleon with loss of balance keeps falling!!

kcazmurr

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon -Trioceros hoehnelii, Male, 2.5 Years Old, I’ve had him for a year and a half.
  • Handling - Very rarely.
  • Feeding - Small crickets. About 10-15 daily. Eats in the morning. Gutloaded with arugula, collard greens, mustard greens, apples, oranges, and bee pollen.
  • Supplements - ReptiCalcium without D3 daily. Reptivite with D3 every other Sunday. Rep-Cal Herptivite multivitamins every other alternate Sunday.
  • Watering - Hand misted 2-3 times daily for about 2-3 minutes. Drinks while misted and from dropper.
  • Fecal Description - Normal fecal. Normal urate. Never been tested.
  • History - Always seemed to be healthy and happy.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Large reptibreeze vivarium 18x18x36
  • Lighting - 40 W Daylight Blue and 10.0 reptisun 18 inch uvb. 12 hour cycle. 7am-7pm
  • Temperature - Basking temp 81. Low 70s at the bottom.
  • Humidity - Always between 50-80% maintained through misting and fogger usually around 65%.
  • Plants - Ficus and porous.
  • Placement - Located on top of 4’ bureau.
  • Location - Southern California

Current Problem - My little guy Ronaldo keeps falling from branches to the bottom...started happening yesterday. He ate yesterday and drank from dripper the day prior. Everything seemed fine until today. He has a loss of balance almost like he can’t control it. His eyes almost seem unresponsive. I have an apt with a Vet at 3 today but I was wondering if anyone out there has experienced this and hope to find a solution to get him through this. Any help would be truly appreciated. Thank you!

For starters you are giving him twice as much D3 and vitamins as he needs. They should only be given once a month in montane species an even then very lightly. You should stop for more than a month as the overload can remain in their system for a couple of months or more. I would recommend veterinary care to treat this overdose. This info may help you D3 Poisoning it is based on care others here have used and there are some helpful articles attached.
The reptisun 10.0 is a lot for this species you can raise it off the top of the cage or get a 5.0. They also need a night time temperature drop down to ~60˚F at night.
I do not keep this species but their care is similar to Jackson's.

For starters you are giving him twice as much D3 and vitamins as he needs. They should only be given once a month in montane species an even then very lightly. You should stop for more than a month as the overload can remain in their system for a couple of months or more. I would recommend veterinary care to treat this overdose. This info may help you D3 Poisoning it is based on care others here have used and there are some helpful articles attached.
The reptisun 10.0 is a lot for this species you can raise it off the top of the cage or get a 5.0. They also need a night time temperature drop down to ~60˚F at night.

Thank you for your response! I apologize I actually do have the 5.0 reptisun 18” uvb light and NOT the 10.0. Also I did not know that I was over supplementing his Vitamins and D3. It is very hard to find info on this specific species of chameleon. Are these normal symptoms of D3 overdosing?

There are a variety of symptoms and there are other things that look like this but with the history it would be the most obvious choice. Muscle weakness is a common symptom. "1. Excess calcium causes muscles to become sluggish and weak. It causes decreased appetite and causes obstipation (intractable constipation) due to decreased contractility of the intestinal walls. 2. Excess Vitamin D actually causes ABSORPTION of bone. It actually mimics hyperparathyroidism. 3. Vitamin D causes calcification of bone. Excess Vitamin D causes inappropriate mineralization of organs such as the kidney or soft tissue. Excess Vit D3 and Calcium has been implicated in mineralization of large blood vessels, causing cardiac disease."

There are a variety of symptoms and there are other things that look like this but with the history it would be the most obvious choice. Muscle weakness is a common symptom. "1. Excess calcium causes muscles to become sluggish and weak. It causes decreased appetite and causes obstipation (intractable constipation) due to decreased contractility of the intestinal walls. 2. Excess Vitamin D actually causes ABSORPTION of bone. It actually mimics hyperparathyroidism. 3. Vitamin D causes calcification of bone. Excess Vitamin D causes inappropriate mineralization of organs such as the kidney or soft tissue. Excess Vit D3 and Calcium has been implicated in mineralization of large blood vessels, causing cardiac disease."

Thank you again for your input I really appreciate it! Any suggestions are truly appreciated! I will be sure to mention this to the vet. I will also keep in mind to only supplement with D3 and Vitamins once per month for my Montane species.

I like how you always get tagged for T.Hoehnelii help even tho you always state that you don't keep the species lol. Like yeah I get it because they are similar to jacksons, but i see it happen in most T.Hoehnelii threads and it always makes me laugh haha

He seems to still have a very good grip. But he is very lethargic today and is unable to normally navigate his enclosure. He seems to be keeping his left eye shut more so than the right.

Attachments

• 7F19073A-8D15-4923-817E-93A0358F4A02.jpeg
    7F19073A-8D15-4923-817E-93A0358F4A02.jpeg
    163.1 KB · Views: 85
  • 37A9C829-AEF2-47B1-BABD-61AFB130999C.jpeg
    37A9C829-AEF2-47B1-BABD-61AFB130999C.jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 103
  • 8BA3141C-220A-4171-8AAB-9F9B27853619.jpeg
    8BA3141C-220A-4171-8AAB-9F9B27853619.jpeg
    149.8 KB · Views: 81
  • 548C6EED-6F47-4C86-B6DC-D7CA284D8026.jpeg
    548C6EED-6F47-4C86-B6DC-D7CA284D8026.jpeg
    137.5 KB · Views: 124
  • 9BB32EC8-3D2C-488C-83BA-4B696C0EBB67.jpeg
    9BB32EC8-3D2C-488C-83BA-4B696C0EBB67.jpeg
    133.9 KB · Views: 94

I like how you always get tagged for T.Hoehnelii help even tho you always state that you don't keep the species lol. Like yeah I get it because they are similar to jacksons, but i see it happen in most T.Hoehnelii threads and it always makes me laugh haha

Sounds like its time for Jacksjill to get some! I would tag Trace but sadly Trace is on extended Vacay.

To be fair, when I do it, I tag bob too, but JJ is on more often. She is also very into Trioceros, so we all just assume she knows a thing or 2 about T. hoehnelii as well. :p.

He clearly isn't feeling very well. Do you have a vet you like or would you like us to get some recommendations for your area?

I just moved to southern CA to a town called Murrieta. I have made an apt for today at 3 with Care Animal Hospital in Temecula,CA. They do have an exotics vet but I’m not sure of their experience with chameleons. It’s tough to find a good exotics vet that knows a lot about chameleons I had a great exotics Dr. in MA at the Odd pet Vet that was very educated on chams. I’m hoping they will be able to diagnose my little guy accurately for I am very worried for him...

Dr Greek in Yorba Linda comes very well recommended. It's not very close but probably the closest.
23687 Vía del Rio, Yorba Linda, CA 92887 (714) 463-1190 just in case you need it.
I used to work at a practice in Murrieta, small world, but it was a cat and dog practice. I don't know who they have at Animal Care Hosp.
Best of luck with your little guy.

Dr Greek in Yorba Linda comes very well recommended. It's not very close but probably the closest.
23687 Vía del Rio, Yorba Linda, CA 92887 (714) 463-1190 just in case you need it.
I used to work at a practice in Murrieta, small world, but it was a cat and dog practice. I don't know who they have at Animal Care Hosp.
Best of luck with your little guy.

Thank you so much for your help and recommendations I truly appreciate it!!

Back
Top Bottom