PLEASE HELP ~ Chameleon has burns

Casket_Case

Avid Member
I’m so upset, Van’s basking spot was all fine until I added a plant and it should’ve been fine but he got onto the plant and shifted over under the light and he got burnt. Some is where his head and casque meet, some is on his sides in a really weird spot and the burns are a charcoal gray color. He crawled onto my hand to eat as per usual and I accidentally touched his tail which ain’t burnt and he started hissing and puffing and opening his mouth all the way and showing stressed colors which he never does. I’m so upset right now I feel terrible. There’s no exotic pets around here and I really can’t afford a veterinarian right now. I do work at a pet store though so I have access to a lot of medications and stuff. I’ll post pictures very soon

D1C7A830-5E4F-403E-A13A-DFEDBA279D44.jpeg
BE615B2F-867C-4121-9475-855C84AF9F6B.jpeg

How can I help him? I’m making sure he stays hydrated that’s all I know. What medications or things can I get to help him? He won’t like being touched but if it means he’ll be okay I need to

My chameleon got burns to you can go to the vet and they can give you a burn cream and that will help heal they do came back for a burn but it will not look the same The first picture is what it look like at first and the second picture is what looks like now.

Attachments

• image 2.jpg
    image 2.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 79
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 90
Oh no! I’m so sorry this has happened. Generally silver sulfadiazine cream is the treatment of choice, but it is prescription only. In a pinch, you could try manuka honey which is available over the counter or plain Neosporin (no pain relieving stuff in it). Of course a vet is the best course of action.

Oh no! I’m so sorry this has happened. Generally silver sulfadiazine cream is the treatment of choice, but it is prescription only. In a pinch, you could try manuka honey which is available over the counter or plain Neosporin (no pain relieving stuff in it). Of course a vet is the best course of action.
Thank you so much, I have silver sulfadiazine that my little sister never used. Should I put that on all the black spots? How often? And I’m guessing a little bit on a cotton swab? Also I turned his heat off right now until I can resolve issue, should I stay this way?

Daily application with q tip to affected area for a week is what my vet told me for my chameleon's very initial burns in a similar area to Van's. It was so nominal the burns didn't stay. I actually can't see the burns on your chameleon...because some Veileds just have that black coloring in their casque / crest ridge area.

Your chameleon still needs heat to bask and digest. Maybe trim the plant or adjust the wattage or distance from the light to where he sits to reduce possibility of future burns. You have a probe to test the ambient heat levels on the brank he basks on? That should be at 80-82 then it's a few degrees hotter at his casque area.

Daily application with q tip to affected area for a week is what my vet told me for my chameleon's very initial burns in a similar area to Van's. It was so nominal the burns didn't stay. I actually can't see the burns on your chameleon...because some Veileds just have that black coloring in their casque / crest ridge area.

Your chameleon still needs heat to bask and digest. Maybe trim the plant or adjust the wattage or distance from the light to where he sits to reduce possibility of future burns. You have a probe to test the ambient heat levels on the brank he basks on? That should be at 80-82 then it's a few degrees hotter at his casque area.
Thanks so much, and yeah I held my hand where my hand would be on his back if he was beneath it and my hand felt just fine it was a nice temperature but he somehow got burned :(

View attachment 317798
Here he is with his cream on, poor baby
He's like WTH did you just do to me!! Poor Lil guy. What kind of bulb do you have? I have the spot flood light and in on particular area it gets REALLY hot so the hand on the back of the screen thing doesn't work - you have to just raise it up and measure carefully with a probe. Especially if Van's getting burned somehow, gotta up the troubleshooting ante.

Yea mine has a very dark back of casque

Attachments

• F379A124-7AFF-4DB0-A6AA-4FECA2F92C00.jpeg
    F379A124-7AFF-4DB0-A6AA-4FECA2F92C00.jpeg
    524.1 KB · Views: 60
I don't think he is burned. Those look like normal markings. As males age they tend to get black spots. How odd it would be for the burn to skip over your boy's bars.
To me the more I look at it the more I agree I can’t tell if this is a burn or not bc it’s odd that it’s in the same place those markings are

Attachments

• 39F4A43F-8686-4E01-B626-DC0302C5207D.jpeg
    39F4A43F-8686-4E01-B626-DC0302C5207D.jpeg
    213.3 KB · Views: 57
Back
Top Bottom