PLEASE HELP CHAMELEON DYING

I’m so sorry about this.

Why is everyone saying this didn’t happen over night? Have you watched a chameleon die before? My carpet Cham looked fine one day then the next day she was clearly on deaths door. We all talk about how they can go down hill so quick so why is it a surprise.

I dont think its the dying so much as the insane physical condition (extremely sunken eyes, skull outline and bones visible, detached and completely dried out tongue, etc). I was not aware these drastic changes could happen in 24 hrs from an otherwise seemingly healthy cham. So I assumed it was a result of prolonged illness, dehydration or starvation.

Sorry to have jumped to conclusions if thats not the case.

I dont think its the dying so much as the insane physical condition (extremely sunken eyes, skull outline and bones visible, detached and completely dried out tongue, etc). I was not aware these drastic changes could happen in 24 hrs from an otherwise seemingly healthy cham. So I assumed it was a result of prolonged illness, dehydration or starvation.

I honestly don’t know for sure as I have only experienced one chameleon dieing but that is what happened to her. She looked somewhat fine although I knew she probably didn’t have long left (female wildcaught gravid when imported) then about 24-36 hours before she died she got sunken eyes, sunken head pads, loose skin and started turning yellow.

Edit: just wanted to clarify that my carpet Cham lived for almost a year after import.

Last edited:

I was also unaware that this can happen so quickly. Sorry, my emotions got the best of me. Poor poor little chameleon.

I honestly don’t know for sure as I have only experienced one chameleon dieing but that is what happened to her. She looked somewhat fine although I knew she probably didn’t have long left (female wildcaught gravid when imported) then about 24-36 hours before she died she got sunken eyes, sunken head pads, loose skin and started turning yellow.

Ive been doing this since the 90's, im running out of spots in the butterfly garden :p

At this point i "know" about 90 days a head of time so i can prepare myself(and all the kids in the area). Then a week or two before hand its "sorry you cant handle Billy right now". Then 1-2 days before hand its "well buddy you had a good run". And the entire time the lizard will look fairly healthy to the passer by or if you dont see the lizard daily. For the old timers "we know".

On another morbid/interesting note, chams will some times mummify in place. Tail perfectly curled and still holding onto the branch. They may never drop dead.

He passed before I could get him to a vet for emergency euthanasia sorry it took a bit yesterday was hard.
These things happen in Cham keeping, when they go downhill, its fast. For what its worth I doubt much could have been done even if you did get to a vet at the first sign of an issue.

Take your time getting it back together. You knew it would be an uphill battle rehabbing a MBD case when you took it in, you probably did better than most. Well be here if you decide to get back in.

Back
Top Bottom