PLEASE HELP CHAMELEON DYING

I'm sorry if I am upsetting you it really wasn't my intention he had eaten Saturday and Sunday as well as drank water he still has crickets in his terrarium now. Again I'm really sorry for upsetting you.
Do not apologize to me it’s my fault I need to take a break from the forum. I’m sorry about your Cham. I know it’s not easy to see them in pain. I apologize for my comment, I hope you and you cham find peace

@Twells92 There ARE a lot of problems on the forum for sure because chameleons are not easy and even after all these years of them being imported, bred, sold etc the stores and even some people who breed them don't know enough or pass on the proper information to have them survive. Then there's also a lack of studies done on them compared to other animals to learn more about them.

Do not apologize to me it’s my fault I need to take a break from the forum. I’m sorry about your Cham. I know it’s not easy to see them in pain. I apologize for my comment, I hope you and you cham find peace
Thank you and again I truly am sorry if I upset you.

I know this is an unpopular opinion but I would be asking how to quickly end this poor chameleons misery.

This is the most I have seen a chameleon suffer on here. Sorry to be harsh.
Agreed, if the OP is interested in how to do it with absolutely no stress or pain, he will simply fall asleep peacefully, I can walk them through it. This cam will be dead by morning weather we step in or not. OP can PM me.

I just want to cry after seeing that. He was beautiful too. Wore his best colors even to his death bed. Poor poor chameleon... Is it bad that I could stare at a dead human body no problem? but when I see an animal in a condition like this my heart just skips a few hundred beats? I'm probably not wired right or something.... Please if you do get another chameleon as others have stated never take it to go see that vet again.... Like ever!

I just want to cry after seeing that. He was beautiful too. Wore his best colors even to his death bed. Poor poor chameleon... Is it bad that I could stare at a dead human body no problem? but when I see an animal in a condition like this my heart just skips a few hundred beats? I'm probably not wired right or something.... Please if you do get another chameleon as others have stated never take it to go see that vet again.... Like ever!
Yes, there is defiantly something wrong with you! LOL

Kidding, chin up. How many humans do we see every day "killed" in the movies or on the news? Were conditioned to be numb to that. Human life has been completely devalued while placing cute cuddly animals up on a pedestal. Not to say the animals don't deserve it, just wish people were granted that same value. My son just turned 7 and while we are both very active he has access to a screen 24/7 like it or not. I've been watching his little mind change and develop every day, the pace is pure insanity. So for the last year I've been really paying attention to the messages coming across and how a pristine, unbiased human mind must perceive that. How many "bad guys" do the "good guys" kill in every Avengers movie? Nearly too many to count. Were heading in the wrong direction.

*Rant over, back to chams!*

Last edited:
I’m sorry but no that’s a lie! No Cham gets like this over night believe me I just recused a Cham in the same shape as this one and it died yesterday
Frankly.. ive seen this before more in 36 hours but started with small symptoms and was clearly visibly crazy at 24h ( first symptoms that only a person with strong experiences with chameleon will catch and even vet will miss most of the time..) doing ok then organ faillure then boom skin loose and fall quick.

About him :/ sorry.. i think the only things to do is to end this suffering so for now maybe you can call emergency vet for euthanasia? dont add basking because activate the system for now will only be torture. Sorry for your lost its hard :/ if you decide to have another one in the future come back here to double check your caging and husbandry and to find a good vet (because its a shame he didnt plan any specific treatment or advices due to his condition :(

Frankly.. ive seen this before more in 36 hours but started with small symptoms and was clearly visibly crazy at 24h ( first symptoms that only a person with strong experiences with chameleon will catch and even vet will miss most of the time..) doing ok then organ faillure then boom skin loose and fall quick.

About him :/ sorry.. i think the only things to do is to end this suffering so for now maybe you can call emergency vet for euthanasia? dont add basking because activate the system for now will only be torture. Sorry for your lost its hard :/ if you decide to have another one in the future come back here to double check your caging and husbandry and to find a good vet (because its a shame he didnt plan any specific treatment or advices due to his condition :(

Yea i had a fat tailed gecko that was 10,000 years older than sand. He was getting "a little thin", and then within 36 hours (i assume liver as kidney takes a week or more) he looked like OP, both eyes completely sunken in and looked like he hadnt ate in weeks, even though he was still drinking and eating plenty. Its sad, but its still better than taking weeks.

I am sorry for your loss. I noticed you mentioned dripper. Dehydration is one of the number one cause of death for Chameleons. Always mist their cages and you can mist them a little ( once a week ) to help clean their eyes out. Drippers doesnt really provide that much hydration. They drink water from the plant leaf. Also, make sure you have the proper lights such as UVB & basking. Make a note of when you buy the lights. Some lights require to change every 6 months. Just cause a light still lights up doesn't mean UVB works. Check the label on the light and it will tell you when it needs to be changed out. This is essential to their husbandry. Make sure you are providing enough calcium D3 in their diet along with vitamins . Try to get a vitamin powder that has vitamin A included. If you ever need guidance. This is the right place to find it.

This is a link to a very informative video on chameleons and proper care
I urger you to view it as it helped me provide the essential care.

Last edited:
Yea i had a fat tailed gecko that was 10,000 years older than sand. He was getting "a little thin", and then within 36 hours (i assume liver as kidney takes a week or more) he looked like OP, both eyes completely sunken in and looked like he hadnt ate in weeks, even though he was still drinking and eating plenty. Its sad, but its still better than taking weeks.

If that is the case then I am sorry for my reaction. That’s a difficult image to remove from my head. I am sorry, I know losing a pet is very difficult.

Did the vet see the cham recently? Or in the past for the MBD (that they did not treat)?

We know this is a sad matter. Let's help him get the right information out so this doesn't happen again.

Check out this video as it provides thoroughly how to care for a chameleon and provide proper husbandry.

We are here to help, educate and assist you !

Yes my comment was out of line. I was acting out of emotion because of the lose of cheech the day b4. Letting you cham die in you and is not easy. The next day I found out our family dog of 14 years passed so I was not in my right mind to be on the forum.

I watch my cheech decline for 3 weeks b4 he body couldn’t take it no more. She drank water tried to eat but would spit out the feeder of fall back to sleep while eating it was a battle I was clearly meant to lose:(

Again I’m sorry OP for my out bursts that was not the best of me and I will try harder in the future to hold by my emotions. Very very sorry for your Cham but as everyone as said plz come back her and ask for help with your next dude. When cared for right these guys will thrive and bring magic to your life everyday. Atleast my chams make me feel that way ❤️

I’m so sorry about this.

Why is everyone saying this didn’t happen over night? Have you watched a chameleon die before? My carpet Cham looked fine one day then the next day she was clearly on deaths door. We all talk about how they can go down hill so quick so why is it a surprise.

Back
Top Bottom