Please Help...Cassie was closing her eyes early this afternoon

Kris Chams

Chameleon Enthusiast
download.png

Can you take a picture of the entire set up for us please lights down?

How is she doing with eating etc? What are the supplements and schedule your using?

She has a 12% UVA/UVB linear bulb and a basking bulb 150. I dust her feeders with the repashy every day and the calcium twice a week. She prefers dubias and I give her 1 carrot gut loaded silkworm as a treat and whenever I get hornworms, she gets one small one 3 times a week.
Vitamins.jpg
Calcium.jpg
Cassie's house.jpg

She may not be handling the repashy well... Some females do not respond well to it. Ideally you would switch this to the calcium without D3 at every feeding then the repashy only at 2 feedings a month say the 1st and the 15th.

Can I get a bit more info about the Linear fixture? Is it a multibulb fixture? and if so does it have individual reflectors for each bulb or 1 sitting above all of them together?

Where does she typically spend her time up on the top? And how close to the UVB is she where she spends the most time?

150 watt is a very strong wattage... What are her temps below it at the closest point she spends her time?

She may not be handling the repashy well... Some females do not respond well to it. Ideally you would switch this to the calcium without D3 at every feeding then the repashy only at 2 feedings a month say the 1st and the 15th.
( I will make this change right away and use the calcium w/o D3 with each feeding and just use repashy 2 times a month as you suggest.)

Can I get a bit more info about the Linear fixture? Is it a multibulb fixture? and if so does it have individual reflectors for each bulb or 1 sitting above all of them together?
(It is not a multi-bulb, there is one light with a reflector on each side. )

Where does she typically spend her time up on the top? And how close to the UVB is she where she spends the most time?
(She will eat and then she will spend a little while under the basking bulb...I would say that it is about 4 inches from her, I will raise this tomorrow if need be)

150 watt is a very strong wattage... What are her temps below it at the closest point she spends her time?
( Those temps are around 90 degrees, do I need to get a less wattage for her basking bulb?)

@Kris Chams Ok when you say there is one light with reflector on each side... I am a little confused and I really want to make sure your uvb is on point. Could you take a picture of the fixture on the bottom so I can see the bulb/s and the reflector?

Per the heat. yes this is far too hot for her as well. Girls really need a lower basking temp 80 max this combined with lower food intake will reduce her clutch size. I would not only raise the fixture because you do not want her to get a thermal burn but I would drop back the bulb wattage to a 60 watt regular incandescent household bulb.

So are there branches behind the basking heat area that she can bask below the uvb? Does she sit there ever and how far away from the uvb is she there?

Last edited:
@Kris Chams When you get a chance can you fill out this help form for us... With her closing her eyes like that I just want to be very sure of my feedback. :)
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Hello ladies !. @Kris Chams im just finishing up work and will take a look . See if I can see anything . 2 thing I can see right off is she way to warm for a female to be kept also not all Cham do well on repashy . I think Becca already added . Also what uvb are you using ? I’ve seen some eye issues recently. One of the lady ‘s I’m mentoring 100% was lighting . I’ll reach out through pm . I’ll tag Becca and Jann through pm .

Hello ladies !. @Kris Chams im just finishing up work and will take a look . See if I can see anything . 2 thing I can see right off is she way to warm for a female to be kept also not all Cham do well on repashy . I think Becca already added . Also what uvb are you using ? I’ve seen some eye issues recently. One of the lady ‘s I’m mentoring 100% was lighting . I’ll reach out through pm . I’ll tag Becca and Jann through pm .

Okay, then it's got to be the repashy and the lighting. It is actually 120V instead of the 150v that I had told Becca. I had a 150v but tossed it. I need to get the product that Jann uses for her chams....that is what Cassie was used before she came to me.

t
Bulb.jpg

Top of Bulb.jpg

Thank you so much Kristen. Kris, Kristen has two of Squirt’s sisters and is an expert with the girls and for keeping the girls from laying eggs.

Okay, then it's got to be the repashy and the lighting. It is actually 120V instead of the 150v that I had told Becca. I had a 150v but tossed it. I need to get the product that Jann uses for her chams....that is what Cassie was used before she came to me.

tView attachment 278764
View attachment 278765
Ok so lighting is incorrect. These should not be used on enclosures without a solarmeter 6.5... These are 2 in 1 bulbs they produce a very high output of uvb within the first 2 feet depending on wattage... And your using a very high wattage. But they also produce a lot of heat as well.

So you need a T5HO fixture with the 5.0 or 6% bulb that goes the entire width of your enclosure. These are long linear bulbs... Your basking level would need to be 9 inches below this fixture so she gets the correct levels.

It is hard for me to tell if it is the repashy or if it is the UVB but both can cause these issues.

tView attachment 278764
View attachment 278765

I’m with Becca on this. I did not realize you were using these lights. I have alway used the reptisun 5.0 (tube style) and a regular household bulb for basking, not the coil kind the old style. If your house is cold she might need a 40 to 60 watt.

Ok so lighting is incorrect. These should not be used on enclosures without a solarmeter 6.5... These are 2 in 1 bulbs they produce a very high output of uvb within the first 2 feet depending on wattage... And your using a very high wattage. But they also produce a lot of heat as well.

So you need a T5HO fixture with the 5.0 or 6% bulb that goes the entire width of your enclosure. These are long linear bulbs... Your basking level would need to be 9 inches below this fixture so she gets the correct levels.

It is hard for me to tell if it is the repashy or if it is the UVB but both can cause these issues.
I sec what Becca said !. She on this already . Both Becca or Jann can reach out to me if need be , Or pm me @Kris Chams . You can loop both Jann and Becca in if need be to a pm . I’m pretty much steering clear of threads unless I’m specifically asked to check in on one .

No she stays in the enclosure that used to be Squirt's.
I Apologize i did not answer I did not get a Notification . Anyhow you are in great hands , Becca will reach out to me if need be . However I agree it’s a supplement/lighting issue . I believe if you where to turn her light out of a day or 2 you would find her opening her eye . You will need to work on heat/feeding to reduce egg laying starting now . Becca can help there too .

Back
Top Bottom