Please help ... burns on my baby 😭

PrincessSpaz

Established Member
Long story short, I had to have surgery 3 weeks ago, had some complications pop up and had to go back to the hospital overnight. Prior to surgery I'd bought an automatic mister and timer for Spaz's house just in case I had to stay overnight (at the time of surgery, my oldest was still at JROTC leadership camp and couldn't be home to care for Spaz) ... had some post surgery complications and was in the hospital overnight Thursday/all day Friday (yesterday) I got home last night and went to put her to bed (lights off, fogger on, make sure her house was sufficiently misted for the night etc) and just about died on the spot. My baby has a burn on the top of her little head 😭 I have no idea how it happened as her house has been exactly the same for the past 3-4 months... it looks awful and she won't let me put neosporin on it (the kind without the pain reliever) ... she bit me, the q-tip, hissed and got so upset she almost fell from her bedtime spot. I left her alone for a little bit and tried again when she was asleep but I woke her up and she hid in the thicket of pothos where I couldn't get to her. My daughter was home and manually turned her lights off Thursday night and back on Friday morning ... she insists that burn wasn't there Thursday and her lights weren't on over 12 hrs
Any ideas on what I can do for her? Her door is open in hopes she'll come out (if she does, she'll let me put something on her head. She's only territorial inside her house) ...
*All lighting is more than 8 inches from the top of her house as she likes to periodically hang from the top upside down and I didn't want her getting burned on her belly*
Also she has a weird white spot on her right side and I'm not sure what it is ... all exotics are closed for the weekend and the emergency vet (which is 3 hours away) will not see chams

Attachments

• IMG_4465.jpg
    IMG_4465.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 20220716_074449.jpg
    20220716_074449.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 77
So that does not look like a typical burn... Looks more like a wound. Although with the white spot it may very well be a burn.

If you can get her out today to check her and apply a bit of neosporin to the top of the casque that would be good. I would look for any sign in the cage of blood as well. Anything sharp in the cage etc. Looks like the casque has blood on it.

So that does not look like a typical burn... Looks more like a wound. Although with the white spot it may very well be a burn.

If you can get her out today to check her and apply a bit of neosporin to the top of the casque that would be good. I would look for any sign in the cage of blood as well. Anything sharp in the cage etc. Looks like the casque has blood on it.
Could she have scraped against the 1/4 wire mesh somewhere? I haven't seen any blood on the top (can't bend to check the sides but I'll get my daughter to check) or could she have scraped against her pothos pot?? Those are the only 2 things I can think of that she could have scraped against

Could she have scraped against the 1/4 wire mesh somewhere? I haven't seen any blood on the top (can't bend to check the sides but I'll get my daughter to check) or could she have scraped against her pothos pot?? Those are the only 2 things I can think of that she could have scraped against
Yes it is possible. Have your daughter double check and make sure none of the wire used to secure stuff has pointy stuff inside the cage.

Can you take a pic of the enclosure so I can see the top half of the cage including the lights on top?

Last edited:
Looks like scrap to me. Did you put wire on inside instead of outside of cage so looks better. That wire has sharp edges all around. I used something like that for my outdoor cages. Was going to put wire on inside so looks better but didn't after I put wire on frame cause of edges.

If you did put on inside run finger on it see if sharp or ruff. If is use some 1/4 round trim after you seal it.

Yes it is possible. Have your daughter double check and make sure none of the wire used to secure stuff has pointy stuff inside the cage.

Can you take a pic of the enclosure so I can see the top half of the cage including the lights on top?
Our ferret vet was willing to see her and put some medication on her little head. Vet said it is a scrape and seemed to be healing ok already. I have some cloth window screen at home, should I line the inside of her house with that? Or completely rebuild her house (she scraped her head on the wooden frame of her house, not the wire mesh) out of PVC piping?

Our ferret vet was willing to see her and put some medication on her little head. Vet said it is a scrape and seemed to be healing ok already. I have some cloth window screen at home, should I line the inside of her house with that? Or completely rebuild her house (she scraped her head on the wooden frame of her house, not the wire mesh) out of PVC piping?
Did you seal the wood with something like flex seal? Wood should always be sealed so that it is water proof. This also ensures that the wood is smooth. I personally would only use the plastic coated mesh if your wanting a larger gauge. If you mean the fiberglass window screen that would be fine on all the panels except the top panel. It would reduce UVB output too much to be added to the top.

Did you seal the wood with something like flex seal? Wood should always be sealed so that it is water proof. This also ensures that the wood is smooth. I personally would only use the plastic coated mesh if your wanting a larger gauge. If you mean the fiberglass window screen that would be fine on all the panels except the top panel. It would reduce UVB output too much to be added to the top.
I do have flexseal on the wood. My daughter found a 1 inch dent in the back of the wooden frame where she found a dark spot (we're guessing it's where Spazzy scraped her head) ... no idea how the dent got there, her pothos (and pots) are at the front opposite side from the dent. Only thing I can think of that could have possibly caused the dent is when the top panel was open (Spazzy was outside on a walk with me post surgery) and something fell off the shelf to the left of her house (my daughter didn't say what fell)
My daughter took the shelf down that day (it was one of those super small ones that use the command strips to hang) ... Spazzy is currently free roaming my daughter's room (mostly hanging out in a hibiscus tree) and sleeping in her house at night (her door is open if she wants to go in/out but her lights are above the hibiscus)

Back
Top Bottom