Please Help! Adopted Sick Baby Veiled w/ Closed Eyes

Did he eat better for you today?

He did not, but only because unfortunately I only had time to really try once, and was still a little pressed for time. He did however clean his eyes and then open eyes them for a bit again after his bath :)

I set up a better feeding administration tube thingy for him last night that I'm confident will be idiot-newbie-cham-owner proof Lol so today my goal is to get 0.4mL/x2 doses of food in him! Will report back later today.

I want to say that you're doing such a great job caring for Pickle in his time of need. I think you're doing so much more than what a newbie cham owner would have done. I've been lurking on this thread from day one. I was scared for poor little Pickle, but he seems to be doing so much better! And it's all thanks to you - his amazing new and caring owner. Good luck with the little bugger!

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement! I unfortunately have not always been this good of a pet owner for one reason or another (lack of knowledge, time, being a young idiot, etc.)

I think it has something to do with a very tragic incident that happened earlier this year. My puppy was brutally attacked at a dog park in Feburary and sadly, we lost her 2 days later :( it's been one of the hardest things I've ever had to go through...knowing I couldn't save her even though I tried so hard. Guess I kind of am trying to do that now in some sort of way....*sighs* oh well, thats enough sadness for one post ha.

Pickle says thank you!

And He also told me he thinks your @laurie Chameleons name is great Lol:ROFLMAO:

UPDATE:

Okay so today I was able to feed Pickle two times. First time, I probably only got about 0.2mL in him because he was being stubborn...but later this afternoon I was able to get him to eat 0.4mL - 0.5mL and seemed like he wanted more! But I didn't want to give him too muc...just in case.

Saw him open his eyes again for a little bit and also saw him "clean" his eyes (so weird Lol).

He drank water twice today, got a bath and seems to LOVE his humidifier. That plus a warm misting almost always gets him to drink.

My humidity has been around 60 ish and upward of 78 when the humidifier is on. Temp is 82-84 during the day and 71-73 at night. Everything still good in that department?

Your doing great!! Keep the updates coming!!

You may have already gone over this (if you have I'm sry for asking you to repeat yourself) are you giving showers? How long and how often are you misting? Are you hand misting or using a system? (Like I said if you have already posted this info let me know and I will go back and re-read from the beginning)

I'm so glad he is doing a bit better!!!

He's giving him showers, it's when Pickles drinks the best (it's usually what he means by baths XD). As far as the temps and measurements otherwise it all sounds good. So you ordered the reptivite right?

I think since he's doing well otherwise I might think we would do well with liquid vit a in his foods... but for now I just want you to focus on him getting to eat etc. He may get better with the eating thing. My guys usually do while in recovery. Sounds like he's starting to do a good turn around for now.

Did you end up making a vet appointment? I can't remember (you must forgive me I am a bit "hung over" from an emergency increase in medications last night so brain is not functioning well and what I have been reading today I usually forget almost immediately). It's why I am not giving tons of heavy advice today.

But he sounds like he is doing really well, just keep doing what you are doing for now and we will revisit increasing his food intake and such in a few days. Once he can keep his eyes open for prolonged periods we will test his tracking abilities. <3

Oh and sweetie, just so you know, you have done an amazing job so far. I would never recommend doing a rescue of this to a new chameleon keeper! It takes a lot of work and dedication to turn around a chameleon in this level of illness. Keep chugging along, Pickle is a fighter and as long as you provide him with the necessary tools he will surprise you no doubt.

How is Pickle? I am happy he seems to be coming along. Have you seen a vet yet? I still think you may need to go that route. Lots of them will work with you on payments. I can't wait until he is at his best! Hang in there.

Your doing great!! Keep the updates coming!!

You may have already gone over this (if you have I'm sry for asking you to repeat yourself) are you giving showers? How long and how often are you misting? Are you hand misting or using a system? (Like I said if you have already posted this info let me know and I will go back and re-read from the beginning)

I'm so glad he is doing a bit better!!!

No worries! I don't expect anyone to read every single comment on this thread haha

Yes I give him at least 1 shower/bath a day. Today he only got 1 technically, but I tried to mimic a bath by putting his humidifier on high and misting him with warm water. That's when he ate the most food actually. Before today he got 2-3 baths/day.

I mist him 3x a day for probably about 3-4 minutes or more. I use warm, Reptile conditioned water. I usually just use up the entire bottle in the sprayer (it's a smaller one maybe 8 fl oz?) I got a humidifier yesterday so now I do that 2x a day for about 45 mins each time and he LOVES it:ROFLMAO:

Yes I have Reptivite. Should I add it to the smoothie mixture I'm feeding him? If so how much?

And thank you very much! You've helped me give Pickle the best chance he has to get back on track health wise. As far as the Vet goes, I've called a few that you guys recommended to me on here and told them my situation to get a ball park price wise...and unfortunetly this could not have come at a worse time for me financially so unless I could find a vet to work with me for payments (which I don't know if that's even a thing?) I'm afraid Pickle can't see a Vet quite yet :( I'm trying to set aside some finances though so that I can get him to a vet maybe in the next week or so? Unless he took a turn and got really bad, then I guess I would just take him and figure it out.

I have a feeling he can last a week unless he really does take a turn for the worse.

As far as the reptivite did you get one with or without D3?

We are pushing for a vet because a lot of people are hesitant about it, and don't even think about it for a month or so or until it's a severe emergency. Since you are just waiting until next week I think we will be ok unless something weird happens. <3 And hopefully he will have some good reserves by then. I know my vet costs are on the low end but my first vet visits don't usually cost more than 75 with whatever else happens. So you will want to aim around 200 dollars maybe a smidge more as a base number. Unless you know what a base first visit costs? Usually as far as what I think he needs I wouldn't spend more than 100 or so dollars at my vet, but she's wonderful and is more about the animals than the money.

200 dollars is usually my minimal base for an emergency vet fund all year round. I usually try to add to it if I can, but 200 usually gives you a good cushion.

I know vets in my area will work on a payment plan with their customers. They don't always advertise it, sometimes you have to ask. Most vets are pretty good about it and love to help in any way

My vet does payments in the form of care credit. Which we have gotten for the vets specifically when we have something like a surgery or something unexpected that is more in the thousand dollar range. Which though we don't hit it often we have hit it around 3 times in the 7 years we've been with this vet. Might want to look into care credit and maybe if vets take it around you. It is very useful.

My vet does payments in the form of care credit. Which we have gotten for the vets specifically when we have something like a surgery or something unexpected that is more in the thousand dollar range. Which though we don't hit it often we have hit it around 3 times in the 7 years we've been with this vet. Might want to look into care credit and maybe if vets take it around you. It is very useful.

I'll do some calling tomorrow and see what I can come up with Vet wise and see if anyone is willing to work with me. I'll also look into Care credit. Unfortunetly the vet I use for my dogs who's amazing and would work with me doesn't have anyone who was comfortable enough in working with Reptiles.

Like I said, this of course came at a bad time (doesn't it always?? Ha!) if I had gotten him just 1 week earlier it would have been no big deal.

Also...I have both Reptivite, with and without D3 !

Use the Reptivite without D3 tomorrow, it will have preformed Vit A which will be helpful. And then the day after just use plain calcium again.

I just wanted to thank everyone on this forum who has helped me. Especially @Andee

But I'm sorry to say that Pickle didn't make it. I walked by his cage just a little bit ago and he was really pale and hanging from the side of his enclosures...Which is odd behavior for him. Then I noticed that his tongue was sticking out kinda weird.

I'm not sure what happened. I didn't feed him today because he didn't seem interested and I didn't want to force him. He drank some water and took a bath today, that's about it.

I'm really sad my poor little Pickle didn't make it. He passed away right in my hands. I can only try to hope I made his last few days more comfortable for him.

Thanks again to everyone for all your help, well wishes and support.

Last edited:
I tried feeding his earlier today but he didn't want it so I didn't force him. He had a bath around 7 and drank a little but of water. He hasn't eaten since yesterday

Is he still alive? He looks like he's going down hill very fast. He needs to go to the vet now

Back
Top Bottom