Please.. does anyone know how long they can go w/o eating?

Dawniegirl

Just how long can the go w/o eating??? It been a while for Diego since he last ate. I've had to force feed him a few times but I really want to know how long can he go before I need to force fed? Any ideas how long the can go w/o eating anything at all?

A little background... Diego is appx 9 months and at 7 month he weighed 29 grams (per the vet) but looked healthy in proportion to size... He's rather small. I would image he's probably a little less then that weight or close to the same if he grow in length. Recently I tried to get him to open his month & put a worm in there instead of giving him a liquid mixture but (and I am completely serious) he bit the worm & vigorously throw him across the bathroom. I had just finish giving him a shower when I tried. I tried it again... He did the same thing & jerked his head to throw it, so I know that time he did NOT want that dang worm :( I don't understand & think maybe he might be blind! I've tried most feeders from he reg crickets to different kind of worms & most recently flies but no interest at all. He is still drinking, not daily but when he drinks he really drinks. I don't want to force fed unless absolutely necessary so that's the reason I need to know just how long they can go. I fear to worse and am trying all I can do. I'm really worried bout my lil guy :( Thanks everyone!!!!!!!

They can go without eating for almost an entire month. Keep him hydrated. What makes you think he's blind?

Thanks!!!! I think it could be a possibility because of the lack of following my finger or the feeders that I hold up & the lack of interest in feeders but I hope I'm wrong!!!!

Has he ever dead locked a feeder with his eyes for you?

Not in the past 1 month or so. He did during his round of antibiotics but maybe during or sometime after he'd didn't anymore. Even then (during the antibiotic round) when he did lock in he seemed to be like ... I don't see it/ not interested... I don't see it/ not interested... ohhh... there's some food! It took a while before he locked in but then he did & went for it. At that time he had trouble shooting out tongue and seemed to be frustrated & I had to literally put feeder in his mouth for him... which he didn't mind & would eat about 4 worms. BTW that is much better now he puts his tongue out for water. I'm not sure if his not locking in because of the lack of interest or he doesn't see it. He has has some eye issues to since I got him. I even let the worm touch his face which seems to annoy him or take him off guard but I'm not sure which. I'm hoping for a miracle. Maybe warmer days might help. I foresee another vet visit.

It really sucks to have to read this. :( I'm really sorry about what your going through with your little dude. Hope things take a turn for the best and he gets better.

My chameleons go thru that state of not eating much, or nothing at all sometimes. Also noticed they ignore the bugs in front of them, as if they were "blind". It maybe seasonal behavior? I am not sure. I wouldn't try to open his mouth, just yet, to feed him. If he is drinking and going about his cage, don't panic, but keep an eye on him.

I'm having a similar problem. My guy has not eaten for 2 weeks. He is keeping his eyes closed. I've done everything: showers, 2x vet visits, eye wash, eye drops, Vit A dosage. He's starting to look skinny and his eyes are sunken in. I gave him a shower today and he drank a lot, but I don't know what I should do. I heard force-feeding is bad, but I'm worried....

My chameleons go thru that state of not eating much, or nothing at all sometimes. Also noticed they ignore the bugs in front of them, as if they were "blind". It maybe seasonal behavior? I am not sure. I wouldn't try to open his mouth, just yet, to feed him. If he is drinking and going about his cage, don't panic, but keep an eye on him.

Thanks! Yes maybe it's the weather... I'm hoping! I'm trying not to panic but it's hard. I did force feed a liquid mixture a couple times but never was told there is a right and a wrong way to to it. I read on someone's tread that it can be dangerous. Ohhh boy... I now need to know what can happen from force feeding & how to do it correctly. Soooo much to know & keep on learning. He really hasn't eaten in about 2 months other then the force feeding but I'm gonna leave him be for a while unless absolutely needed.

Hi have u tried giving him hornworms? Most ALL panther Chameleons love them!

Actually I've done most worms except them. I'll order them now. I've said before I really didn't want to go there w/ the horns... the remind me of caterpillars :( but I must do what I must do for that lil guy. Thanks!!!

I'm having a similar problem. My guy has not eaten for 2 weeks. He is keeping his eyes closed. I've done everything: showers, 2x vet visits, eye wash, eye drops, Vit A dosage. He's starting to look skinny and his eyes are sunken in. I gave him a shower today and he drank a lot, but I don't know what I should do. I heard force-feeding is bad, but I'm worried....

I'm gonna check through your posts to see what going on not that I will be of much help since I'm in the same situation but maybe something could come from comparing. Worth a shot for both of our guys. I done a lot of the same you wrote.. vet, drops, eye ointments, showers & I'll even have had to force feed due to him seeming weak. Diego was on a 3 week round of antibiotics shots & oral calcium as well. I even tried repti-aide. Ugh!!! I hope your guy turns around for you. I would be worried about the eyes sunken in especially but you say he drinks... weird. I did not do the Vit A. How did you get Vit A & what was that supposed to do for your guy?

Back
Top Bottom