Please correct my supplies list

awill

Hi everyone!
So I have held off for a long while to get my chameleon because I wanted to be completely ready. Please let me know if the supplies listed below are correct for my baby panther chameleon (purchasing from Lllreptiles) and if they're accurate for an 18x18x36 screen (yes, I was convinced screen id best) cage. I live in NYC so please keep in mind my everchanging weather.
Zoo Med Big Dripper
Zoo Med Large Repti Breeze Aluminum Screen Cage 18x18x36
Small Ficus Tree (live) 24-36"
Large sandblasted grapewood 24-36"
Zoo Med™ ReptiSun® 5.0 UVB Tropical Compact Fluorescent Bulb
Zoo Med Combo Deep Dome Dual Lamp Fixture (Large)
Zoo Med 100 watt day bulb blue
OR

----Zoo Med Tropical UVB and Heat Lighting Kit
Zoo Med ReptiCare Terrarium Timer
Mister Large
Large Pothos Plant (Had it for a while now. Really long!)
Exo Terra Jungle Vine Large

Small Dwarf Umbrella Tree (live) 6" Pot

Zoo Med Repti Calcium WITHOUT D3 - 8 oz

Exoterra Tropical Fogger
Zoo Med Reptivite Without D3- 16 oz
Vivarium Electronics Digital Thermometer / Hygrometer
Nature Zone 24 Ounce Cricket Water Bites
small crickets
Large fern plants to cover bottom in case he falls (God forbid)

Let me know if this is okay and if I need anything else! Thank youuu

A few things:
Id swap out the cage for the same style 24x24x48, you can adjust the bottom if you want to section it off to 24x24x24 for the baby till it gets its bearings.

It sounds like you are going to the dual bulb 1 clf uvb and 1 basking. That is a bad setup. Go with a linear reptisun 10.0 18-24 inch depending on what you can fit, or hit todd up at lightyourreptiles for an arcadia setup for 6% bulbs. You can keep your current wattage basking bulb if it keeps the spot in the low 90's, i prefer wide flood halogens.

I see no D3 supplement, you will need it for a baby. I prefer sticktonguefarms indoor formula, but you can also get the zoomed repti calcium +d3.

I see you are going with water crystals, this is very bad for a baby. The crystals can dehydrate and stick to cricket legs, and then expand in the stomach. The crystals are undigestable by chams, so if the crystal expands enough, the cham will not be able to pass it.

I dont think you need a fogger, the mister should be plenty for humidy, and the cham should be perfect between misting using the dripper onto the pothos. You may even be able to rig a misting nozzle to auto fill the dripper.

2 final notes. You have no drainage system, a cheap method is using an over flow tray for a cloths/dish washer, or a concrete mixing tub. And since you are in NY, you may want to rig up winter with 2-3 sides of the cage covered in plastic to hold in the humidity.

Add a good gutload mix along with fresh veggies such as kale, dandelion, escarole for the feeders. I prefer to use bug burger dry gutload along with several different green leafy veggies.

So I have held off for a long while to get my chameleon because I wanted to be completely ready. Please let me know if the supplies listed below are correct for my baby panther chameleon (purchasing from Lllreptiles) and if they're accurate for an 18x18x36 screen (yes, I was convinced screen id best) cage. I live in NYC so please keep in mind my everchanging weather.
Zoo Med Big Dripper
OR
Mister Large

Exoterra Tropical Fogger
small crickets

Hi everyone!
Zoo Med Big Dripper
OR
Mister Large

Exoterra Tropical Fogger
small crickets

yes good tips from Nightanole. My Panther is 7 months old now and i got the 24/24/48 when he was 3 1/2 months old .i couldn't see wasting money on a second cage. As for lighting Todd's is the best I found. At night turn all lol gets off . They like the dark. But please buy a ceramic bulb that gives no light just heat.i can send you pictures of the products I uses if you like.
Now for the cricket .. if you buy them at the local store they sell small and large. They're small can range in a variety of sizes so stay away from them for now . I got my little Tyrion from Kammerflage great company and they told me to get 1/4 in crickets for him . Your Pothos is a good plant. I bought a hanging basket from Home Depot it's heavey but I knew the cage top wouldn't support the weight of it .... so I got some furring strips and yes for a woman I do know somethings Cut them the length of the top of the cage and even painted them black to match the cage. my Pothos is growing like a weed . I take the vines and interdwine them throughout the cage. Any further questions just asks and have fun !!!

yes good tips from Nightanole. My Panther is 7 months old now and i got the 24/24/48 when he was 3 1/2 months old .i couldn't see wasting money on a second cage. As for lighting Todd's is the best I found. At night turn all lol gets off . They like the dark. But please buy a ceramic bulb that gives no light just heat.i can send you pictures of the products I uses if you like.
Now for the cricket .. if you buy them at the local store they sell small and large. They're small can range in a variety of sizes so stay away from them for now . I got my little Tyrion from Kammerflage great company and they told me to get 1/4 in crickets for him . Your Pothos is a good plant. I bought a hanging basket from Home Depot it's heavey but I knew the cage top wouldn't support the weight of it .... so I got some furring strips and yes for a woman I do know somethings Cut them the length of the top of the cage and even painted them black to match the cage. my Pothos is growing like a weed . I take the vines and interdwine them throughout the cage. Any further questions just asks and have fun !!!
can you please send pictures? I thank you so much for the advise about Kammerflage! I actually was just calling them but its still 9 am in California and they open at 10am(its 12 here)
I want a male guaranteed and lllreptile doesnt guanrantee

A few things:
Id swap out the cage for the same style 24x24x48, you can adjust the bottom if you want to section it off to 24x24x24 for the baby till it gets its bearings.

It sounds like you are going to the dual bulb 1 clf uvb and 1 basking. That is a bad setup. Go with a linear reptisun 10.0 18-24 inch depending on what you can fit, or hit todd up at lightyourreptiles for an arcadia setup for 6% bulbs. You can keep your current wattage basking bulb if it keeps the spot in the low 90's, i prefer wide flood halogens.

I see no D3 supplement, you will need it for a baby. I prefer sticktonguefarms indoor formula, but you can also get the zoomed repti calcium +d3.

I see you are going with water crystals, this is very bad for a baby. The crystals can dehydrate and stick to cricket legs, and then expand in the stomach. The crystals are undigestable by chams, so if the crystal expands enough, the cham will not be able to pass it.

I dont think you need a fogger, the mister should be plenty for humidy, and the cham should be perfect between misting using the dripper onto the pothos. You may even be able to rig a misting nozzle to auto fill the dripper.

2 final notes. You have no drainage system, a cheap method is using an over flow tray for a cloths/dish washer, or a concrete mixing tub. And since you are in NY, you may want to rig up winter with 2-3 sides of the cage covered in plastic to hold in the humidity.
Thank you so much for the advice! I will be getting the 2'2'4 now, I was shooting for a little smaller because I live in a small apartment and will be moving in august but I'd rather just get the big one and not waste the money. I already have calcium with D3 because I have a few other reptiles.

Thank you so much for the advice! I will be getting the 2'2'4 now, I was shooting for a little smaller because I live in a small apartment and will be moving in august but I'd rather just get the big one and not waste the money. I already have calcium with D3 because I have a few other reptiles.
you will also need a multivitamin to use 2 times a month. I use herptivite

Hi Awill,

I am new here but I have had chameleon my chameleon for 1.5 year and I bought based on what was recommended by the breeder

Zoo Med Big Dripper -> You can make you own easily for cheap
Zoo Med Large Repti Breeze Aluminum Screen Cage 18x18x36 -> I would also go directly for a 24x24x48. It is expensive to buy a small then a big one. I bought one from Dragon Strand, and I think going for a "clear side" might be a good idea. Even with a misting system it is drying pretty quickly
Small Ficus Tree (live) 24-36" -> OK
Large sandblasted grapewood 24-36" -> OK
Zoo Med™ ReptiSun® 5.0 UVB Tropical Compact Fluorescent Bulb -> The breeder recommended the straight fluorescent Zoomed 5UVB, but not the compact one
Zoo Med Combo Deep Dome Dual Lamp Fixture (Large) -> OK
Zoo Med 100 watt day bulb blue -> I bought the Repti Tuff zoomed as a Heat lamp in 75W. It resists water projection and last longer than basking spots. I also tried 100W but it is too strong (especially the basking spots) for a 48" tall tank.
OR

Zoo Med ReptiCare Terrarium Timer -> any timer should work
Mister Large -> I tried hagen Monsoon, and finally switch to Mistking which is definitely worth the price and quality.
Large Pothos Plant (Had it for a while now. Really long!) -> OK
Exo Terra Jungle Vine Large -> OK
Small Dwarf Umbrella Tree (live) 6" Pot -> OK

Zoo Med Repti Calcium WITHOUT D3 - 8 oz -> the Breeder use Repashy Calcium plus as a go to supplement, and Repashy bug burger to feed critters (to have them gut loaded)
Exoterra Tropical Fogger -> useless if you get the Mistking
Zoo Med Reptivite Without D3- 16 oz -> see above
Vivarium Electronics Digital Thermometer / Hygrometer -> buy a good quality one, I bought cheap ones that didn't last after too many misting
Nature Zone 24 Ounce Cricket Water Bites -> Repashy Bug burger, works well, as well as carrots, potatoes....
small crickets -> vary food as much as possible. My chameleon get bored if I don't vary. Go for roaches, silkworms, hornworms, grasshopper....
Large fern plants to cover bottom in case he falls (God forbid) -> have one or two branches going close to the ground to allow your chameleon to clim back. But they rarely fall

Hope it helps,
Alex

IMG_3156.JPG
can you please send pictures? I thank you so much for the advise about Kammerflage! I actually was just calling them but its still 9 am in California and they open at 10am(its 12 here)
I want a male guaranteed and lllreptile doesnt guanrantee
Well you came to the right place they know males from females. Here's some pics for you .

Back
Top Bottom