plants

MattandRicco

Established Member
i am wondering if this plant is safe for veiled chameleons. Alao wondering if all Dracaena plants are safe for veileds?

Dracaena Janet Lind - canne

I use 3 different dracaena for both my veiled. No issues. Careful on placement though. These are not like others that like to be trimmed. I placed one too high and it is currently taking over the top to the screen lol They are more of a filler plant as most do not hold a lot of weight.

I use 3 different dracaena for both my veiled. No issues. Careful on placement though. These are not like others that like to be trimmed. I placed one too high and it is currently taking over the top to the screen lol They are more of a filler plant as most do not hold a lot of weight.
Is an umbrealla tree/ Schefflera Gold Capella a good center piece? Along with 2 Epipremnum Aureum/devils vine
and lets say 1 dracaena?

Is an umbrealla tree/ Schefflera Gold Capella a good center piece? Along with 2 Epipremnum Aureum/devils vine
and lets say 1 dracaena?
I really like the dwarf umbrella trees. I prefer them and money trees over ficus. Your pothos is going to be a trailing vine. you want these higher in the cage. If you can find more mature ones with long vines these support weight and serve as pathways through the cage. Dracaena is great as well.

I would say depending on maturity of the plants 4 would work in a 2x2x4 enclosure quite well. Make sure if these are for a Veiled that you cover the soil with 1 inch or larger rock to keep them from eating the soil. This will help keep feeders out as well.

I really like the dwarf umbrella trees. I prefer them and money trees over ficus. Your pothos is going to be a trailing vine. you want these higher in the cage. If you can find more mature ones with long vines these support weight and serve as pathways through the cage. Dracaena is great as well.

I would say depending on maturity of the plants 4 would work in a 2x2x4 enclosure quite well. Make sure if these are for a Veiled that you cover the soil with 1 inch or larger rock to keep them from eating the soil. This will help keep feeders out as well.
Amazing and quality info as usual thank you!

My pothos are about 8-10" at the moment

Great so if you do end up getting the lighting I recommended you will have some amazing plant growth... one of my pothos has now grown about 15 inches on one vine in about 6 weeks. My money tree has done the same taking off like crazy.

Great so if you do end up getting the lighting I recommended you will have some amazing plant growth... one of my pothos has now grown about 15 inches on one vine in about 6 weeks. My money tree has done the same taking off like crazy.
Amazing! And I am going to do tge same light set up.

So 3 t5 ho
2x daylight
1xUVB
1x basking light correct?

Also how much heat do the t5 ho put out?

Amazing! And I am going to do tge same light set up.

So 3 t5 ho
2x daylight
1xUVB
1x basking light correct?

Also how much heat do the t5 ho put out?
Depends on your enclosure. Mine has the back and two sides that are solid. So my basking level about 9 inches down will easily hit 80 degrees about 82 max depending on the ambient room temp under the 3 T5's. My baby Veiled spends most his time under the T5's rather then back under the basking.

Depends on your enclosure. Mine has the back and two sides that are solid. So my basking level about 9 inches down will easily hit 80 degrees about 82 max depending on the ambient room temp under the 3 T5's. My baby Veiled spends most his time under the T5's rather then back under the basking.
I guess what im asking is is it necessary to even have a basking light with 3 t5ho running

I guess what im asking is is it necessary to even have a basking light with 3 t5ho running
I got to say I enjoy the way you think.... No, it is not depending on species and what line of thinking you follow. Some of us try not to even have basking over the 80-82 mark anyways. It is supposed to make them live longer healthier lives not being exposed to higher basking temps. For females they do not need basking if the T5's are producing a 79-80 zone below either. Soooooo have a wired temp probe at basking level to pull your exact ambient temps at the branch under the t5's and see what you get. :)

I got to say I enjoy the way you think.... No, it is not depending on species and what line of thinking you follow. Some of us try not to even have basking over the 80-82 mark anyways. It is supposed to make them live longer healthier lives not being exposed to higher basking temps. For females they do not need basking if the T5's are producing a 79-80 zone below either. Soooooo have a wired temp probe at basking level to pull your exact ambient temps at the branch under the t5's and see what you get. :)
Amazing! Ive been reading that for adult male veils you need a basking temp of 95f? Is this accurate?

noooooo very old school thinking... Newer thinking says max of 85. I try to keep my boys no hotter then 83.
Would this plant be a good centerpiece?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200828-153246_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200828-153246_Chrome.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 81
Question for you, how do you prep plants before putting them in the enclosure?
I strip the soil off the roots and spray the plants down well outside. Then I replant in organic soil with a 1 inch layer of hydro balls in the bottom. Then add my 1 inch rock to the top to keep my cham out of the soil. Look under all leaves really well to ensure they do not have mites...

When I started out I was super paranoid and would soak the plants in a dawn soap mix then rinse extremely well. Putting the roots in a plastic back so they did not get in the soap. I do not do this step any more. However if your plants have picked up something like spider mites this is not a bad thing to do.

I strip the soil off the roots and spray the plants down well outside. Then I replant in organic soil with a 1 inch layer of hydro balls in the bottom. Then add my 1 inch rock to the top to keep my cham out of the soil. Look under all leaves really well to ensure they do not have mites...

When I started out I was super paranoid and would soak the plants in a dawn soap mix then rinse extremely well. Putting the roots in a plastic back so they did not get in the soap. I do not do this step any more. However if your plants have picked up something like spider mites this is not a bad thing to do.
Is this ok? I will cover the soil with a screen mesh and rock

Attachments

• 20200828_221542.jpg
    20200828_221542.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 20200828_221525.jpg
    20200828_221525.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 20200828_221509.jpg
    20200828_221509.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 52
Is this ok? I will cover the soil with a screen mesh and rock
I am not familiar with that one... Smell it first lol. Some organic ones have a disgusting odor. If it is all coco fiber then this may or may not work in your favor. I used coco fiber for the first build I did... The plants struggled because the mix just did not retain moisture at all. I used fox farms the last round of plants... I think it was the one that said happy frog on it.

Back
Top Bottom